OpenBSD 2.6 or 2.7(current) on flash card

OpenBSD 2.6 or 2.7(current) on flash card

Post by Alexandre Dulauno » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

Is there anybody who has installed OpenBSD on a flash card (with booting
on the flash card) ? The purpose is to have a more reliable solution
(without mecanics part) for a networking device.

Thanking you in advance.

Alexandre Dulaunoy

--
 [META]       [   Alexandre Dulaunoy   ] This "telephone" has too many
 [T]echnology [   [AD4384-DARPA]       ] shortcomings to be seriously

 [ http://people.metatix.com/alx/ ]         -Western Union Memo, 1876.

Post by Artur Grabowsk » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Is there anybody who has installed OpenBSD on a flash card (with booting
> on the flash card) ? The purpose is to have a more reliable solution
> (without mecanics part) for a networking device.

I have put a very customized NetBSD on a flash card, but the procedure should
be the same for OpenBSD.

(assuming i386)
fdisk (set the OpenBSD partition as primary.)
disklabel
newfs
install boot blocks.
copy kernel and userland to the flash disk.
modify your fstab to mount all partitions read-only.
If you have to write something persistent to the disk, modify your applications
 to remount the disk read/write for the duration of the write and then remount
 it read-only.
Avoid writing at all costs.
If you want a "real" filesystem for temporary data, use mfs.

//art