mounting fat32 / samba / permissions problem

mounting fat32 / samba / permissions problem

Post by Andre » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 18:35:29

i have a large Maxtor 120Gig fat32 formatted hard-drive which i've put into
a family fileserver running OpenBSD 3.0. i've used "mount -t msdos <fat32
partition> <directory to mount on>" to mount it, and put it into fstab with
"rw" specifiers (read AND write). now, here's the problem:
i use samba to share it out to windows machines, and as an ultimate goal to
have everybody being able to drop files into those directories as well as
read data. the shares are specified as "writable", and i'm doing guest
access (i'm assuming "nobody" is used).
people can read the dirs just fine from windows machines, and map them, but
can't modify them (copy files into them or delete existing materials).
the permissions are listed as "rwxr-xr-x" on everything inside it. i can't
change it either, i tried (changing the permissions on a directory pops up
"Is a directory" message, and doing "chmod 777 <filepath>" seems to go
through fine but no changes are recorded. as a root, i can copy/delete files
into mounted fat32 directories while logged in locally just fine, but i
can't do it through samba. i have openbsd's directories shared, and that
works just fine, but the shares from fat32 hard-drive don't let me do any
modifications!!
did anybody see that problem? any solutions? i've tried mapping that share
from a win box using root account, but i still was not able to drop files
into those shares. what can be wrong? oh, i'm using samba-2.2.3a

Thanks in advance

Post by Ted Unangs » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 22:25:48

> i have a large Maxtor 120Gig fat32 formatted hard-drive which i've put into
> a family fileserver running OpenBSD 3.0. i've used "mount -t msdos <fat32
> partition> <directory to mount on>" to mount it, and put it into fstab with
> "rw" specifiers (read AND write). now, here's the problem:
> people can read the dirs just fine from windows machines, and map them, but
> can't modify them (copy files into them or delete existing materials).
> the permissions are listed as "rwxr-xr-x" on everything inside it. i can't
> change it either, i tried (changing the permissions on a directory pops up
> "Is a directory" message, and doing "chmod 777 <filepath>" seems to go
> through fine but no changes are recorded. as a root, i can copy/delete files

man mount_msdos

--
"People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you,
if the water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to

mounting fat32 / samba / permissions problem

Post by Steve at fivetree » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:26:33

Quote:> i use samba to share it out to windows machines, and as an ultimate goal
> have everybody being able to drop files into those directories as well as
> read data. the shares are specified as "writable", and i'm doing guest
> access (i'm assuming "nobody" is used).

<snip>

You might want to setup specific accounts ("fred", "bert", "guest", all
members of group "family") and be rather more specific about permissions and
Samba accounts (see /etc/samba/smb.conf) than simply using "nobody" (which
has certain implications).

Steve
--
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk - SFD: Solutions by Design
http://www.fivetrees.com - ecommerce for independent musicians

1. Cant change permissions on mounted Fat32 drive?

Because of shortage of space on my Linux partition I have mounted my Win
partition (FAT32) to store data files. The FAT32 partition is mounted
 (automatically at boot and I have no trouble looking at it or writing
to it normally) on /mnt/win/server this is symlinked to /home/server -
(/home/server
 --> /mnt/win/server) for the benefit of Samba users. The problem I have
is that what ever I do with it, chown, chmod, chgrp I can't seem to make
it
 writeable through samba; the Samba users cannot write to it full stop.

 Does anyone have any ideas how I can persuade Linux to let Samba
client/users write to this HD/partition? I've tried changing permissions
on the
 symlink, on mount, on the directory itself but nothing seems to work.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Surefire v240 will not boot after kernel patch

3. Cannot mount FAT32 under non-root permissions

4. Accessing Ethernet packets directly (Or: userland network protocol)

5. FAT32 and Linux 2.0.35: mounting the FAT32 partition

6. 100mbit Ethernet card on AIX 4.1.4

7. mount, samba, and permissions

8. Help!!! ON Nt and LINUX install

9. Samba Permission denied error after mounting

10. Samba mount-points permissions

11. Permissions for mount samba shares

12. Samba mount has zero permission