RH7.0 ftpd stopped working

Post by dr scot » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:43:15

After installing RH7.0, ftp worked fine.  After messing with tripwire,
and ipchains ftp no longer allows login.
I have removed ipchain (via the flush) and still no ftp access.  That is
everytime I try to ftp to this system I get a FTP error (from windows),
If I try to ftp from localhost to he localhost I get "ftp: connect:
Connection refused"

I do not see tfpd when I use "df -ef | grep ftp

Anyone know what to look for or how to fix?

Thanks,

   Dan
        (Not a Linux guru - but I am a newbee)

RH7.0 ftpd stopped working

Post by dr scot » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:42:51

Additional information:
  RH 7.0 uses xinetd.conf which points to, and reads in files from
directory xinetd.d.  The only reference I can find concerning FTP is
'wu-ftp' which appears to be a more secure version of FTP (not entirely
sure).

Here is wu-ftp entry from /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd:

wu-ftpd:
# default: on
#       normal, unencrypted usernames and passwords for authentication.
service ftp
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
        server_args             = -l -a
        log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        nice                    = 10

Quote:}

Here is my manual attempt to start FTP out of '/usr/sbin/':
    ./ftprestart
    ftprestart: /var/ftp/etc/shutmsg does not exist.
    ftprestart: /etc/shutmsg does not exist.
I'm wonder what these two missing files should look like.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Dan

> After installing RH7.0, ftp worked fine.  After messing with tripwire,
> and ipchains ftp no longer allows login.
> I have removed ipchain (via the flush) and still no ftp access.  That is
> everytime I try to ftp to this system I get a FTP error (from windows),
> If I try to ftp from localhost to he localhost I get "ftp: connect:
> Connection refused"

> I do not see tfpd when I use "df -ef | grep ftp

> Anyone know what to look for or how to fix?

> Thanks,

>    Dan
>         (Not a Linux guru - but I am a newbee)

1. ftpd stops working in 2.0.1

I upgraded my home Linux box from version 2.0 to 2.0.1 last night, and it
seems my FTP daemons is broken now. Any attempts to FTP into the machine
work until you try to transfer a file, at which point it fails while trying
to open the ftp-data socket with an "Address already in use" error.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there a newer FTP daemon i can get
to fix this (mine is from the latest NetTools package, which is actually
quite old now)?

--

 web: http://www.optera.com/~invid        mich.com, Inc.  Farmington, MI
    PGP fingerprint: 90 05 50 DA 0E 18 CD 47  C5 25 83 1F A5 41 17 73

2. stuck on OpenFirmware/MacPicasso 540

3. wu-ftpd under 386bsd eventually stops working

4. Mouse busy <answer>

5. Upgraded to latest RH7 RPMs - POP3 stopped working!

6. Apache 2.0... why is it caching data?

7. my pppoe to Earthlink stopped working - RH7.2

8. KDE, Serial Ports & printing

9. RH7.3 - mgetty stopped working after up2date - what's wrong?

10. Updated to latest RH7 RPMs - POP3 stopped working

11. How to activate telnetd and ftpd in RH7.2?

12. how do I get ftpd and telnetd running on RH7.2

13. Howto to install Rh7 xinetd, ftpd, and telnetd