Setup 3Com ADSL modem PCI model #3CP4224-TLS

Setup 3Com ADSL modem PCI model #3CP4224-TLS

Post by Telus New » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 14:07:02

I am a real newbie who just installed linux and I was wondering if anyone
got this DSL modem working under linux, I am running redhat version 7.0.

It is the 3Com Homeconnect PCI modem

Thanks,

Dan Miner

Setup 3Com ADSL modem PCI model #3CP4224-TLS

Post by Gordon McKinn » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 05:30:09

"If you've got an internal DSL modem, then you're probably out of
luck. As far as I know, there are no current Linux drivers for any of
these modems, nor is anybody currently writing any (let me know if you
are). However, there are many external modems available. For example,
Bell Atlantic will sell you the Westell modem, which is very nice and
works fine (and until the end of the year at least, it's the same
price as the internal modem, so if you just got the internal by
mistake, you may be able to send it back)."

from http://www.panix.com/~dfoster/prog/linux/pppoe.html#hardware

I don't know of any other updates.  If you get a driver or an external
modem I would guess you would either boot DHCP (if you have a DHCP
connection) or use roaring penguin's PPPoe software
(http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe) if you have to deal with PPP
over ethernet (not a good thing).

> I am a real newbie who just installed linux and I was wondering if anyone
> got this DSL modem working under linux, I am running redhat version 7.0.

> It is the 3Com Homeconnect PCI modem

> Thanks,

> Dan Miner

1. HOWTO setup a US Robotics/3Com 56K PCI FaxModem Model 5610/2977

--------------------->snip

Thanks for your simple, straightforward instructions concerning Linux
setup of a Robotics 5610 internal hardware modem. .  My problem was
trying to relate Windows 2000 information about the modem port, address,
and IRQ  with the similar information in Linux.  Windows claims the
modem is on COM 3, uses IRQ 9, and is at 0xdfe0.  In Linux, cat
/proc/pci reports that the modem is at the same address but IRQ 3. I
also did not realize that I was free to use any unoccupied COM port
rather than having to repeat the Windows COM 3 assignment.  I ended up
with ttyS1, port 0xdfe0, IRQ 3.  It works.

The "Modem busy" error message that Linux provides when the port and
adress and IRQ are not set correctly is worse than useless since it
leads one to look elsewhere for the problem, e.g., perhaps a lock file
or something else.

Thanks again.

2. linux 1 - boot option

3. 3com ADSL modem PCI

4. Apache-SSL with Virtual Servers

5. Linux + 3Com HomeConnect ADSL modem PCI

6. device driver compilation

7. 3Com ADSL HomeConnect PCI Modem

8. Always IN-2000 w. SCO Openserver 5.0.0

9. 3com 56k Voice Faxmodem PCI (model 5690)

10. USR/3COM 56K PCI FaxModem Model 5610 config

11. Help Me: 3Com ADSL HomeConnect PCI

12. Linux driver for 3com ADSL PCI card?

13. Anyone using a 3com PCI ADSL adapter