Boot problem - invalid compressed format (err=1)

Boot problem - invalid compressed format (err=1)

Post by mleona » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 11:38:35

I just put RedHat 6.2 on an old P120mhz/16meg memory yesterday and
taday I'm having trouble booting it.  I can home today to a screen
full of error messages on it (didn't write 'em down.... opps) and it
was all locked up.  On a reboot here's the error message when booting
from the HD or from floppy:

boot:
Uncompressing Linux...

invalid compressed format (err=1)

-- System halted

Is there an easy fix for this, is it too little memory possibly?
Thanks.  - Mike

Boot problem - invalid compressed format (err=1)

Post by mleona » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 04:13:34

Anyone?

> I just put RedHat 6.2 on an old P120mhz/16meg memory yesterday and
> taday I'm having trouble booting it.  I can home today to a screen
> full of error messages on it (didn't write 'em down.... opps) and it
> was all locked up.  On a reboot here's the error message when booting
> from the HD or from floppy:

> boot:
> Uncompressing Linux...

> invalid compressed format (err=1)

> -- System halted

> Is there an easy fix for this, is it too little memory possibly?
> Thanks.  - Mike

Boot problem - invalid compressed format (err=1)

Post by Hu » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:29:07

Seem to hard drive related.  Reinstall Red Hat.  Make sure to check
for bad blocks during installation.

Huy

> Anyone?

> > I just put RedHat 6.2 on an old P120mhz/16meg memory yesterday and
> > taday I'm having trouble booting it.  I can home today to a screen
> > full of error messages on it (didn't write 'em down.... opps) and it
> > was all locked up.  On a reboot here's the error message when booting
> > from the HD or from floppy:

> > boot:
> > Uncompressing Linux...

> > invalid compressed format (err=1)

> > -- System halted

> > Is there an easy fix for this, is it too little memory possibly?
> > Thanks.  - Mike

Boot problem - invalid compressed format (err=1)

Post by mleona » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 00:57:32

Is there anyway to check for bad blocks without reinstalling RedHat?

> Seem to hard drive related.  Reinstall Red Hat.  Make sure to check
> for bad blocks during installation.

> Huy

> > Anyone?

> > > I just put RedHat 6.2 on an old P120mhz/16meg memory yesterday and
> > > taday I'm having trouble booting it.  I can home today to a screen
> > > full of error messages on it (didn't write 'em down.... opps) and it
> > > was all locked up.  On a reboot here's the error message when booting
> > > from the HD or from floppy:

> > > boot:
> > > Uncompressing Linux...

> > > invalid compressed format (err=1)

> > > -- System halted

> > > Is there an easy fix for this, is it too little memory possibly?
> > > Thanks.  - Mike

Boot problem - invalid compressed format (err=1)

Post by Charles E. Hil » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 05:08:30

Yes,

e2fsck -cvf

Make sure to unmount the filesystem first.  If it is the root file system,
then boot off of an emergency boot floppy (or CD-ROM using the RESCUE
option).

Check out man e2fsck for all the options you might want to use.

 -chill

> Is there anyway to check for bad blocks without reinstalling RedHat?

>> Seem to hard drive related.  Reinstall Red Hat.  Make sure to check
>> for bad blocks during installation.

>> Huy

>> > Anyone?

Boot problem - invalid compressed format (err=1)

Post by mleona » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:55:45

I can't seem to get linux to boot without my root hdba1 filesystem.
I've tried with my boot floppy, maybe I don't know my boot parameters
well enough.  It brings it up everytime.  Unfortuantly I don't have a
bootable CD-Rom in this computer...   - Mike

Post by Luca » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:23:17

> I can't seem to get linux to boot without my root hdba1 filesystem.
> I've tried with my boot floppy, maybe I don't know my boot parameters
> well enough.  It brings it up everytime.  Unfortuantly I don't have a
> bootable CD-Rom in this computer...   - Mike

I've never tried this myself, but you can download a bootable floppy from
http://www.*linux.com/floppy-distros.htm and use it to get your
system booted.  Then you can try repairing you filesystem (if that is
indeed broken).  Maybe you just need to compile a new kernel image and use
it to replace the one that's giving you problems.

Good luck.

Luca

1. 2.2.13 "invalid compressed format (err=1 or err=2)"

Hi,

I'm developing an embedded diskless LINUX system which needs to boot over the
network.

I've successfully created the 2.2.13 kernel and the initial root filesystem
(gzip compressed ext2fs format file) and have managed to boot it without
difficulty on many occasions. However, I've gotten to a point where I've added a
couple of files (notably  libstdc++....so) to my filesystem and for some reason
on bootup, I get the following error when it goes to mount the initrd:

"RAMDISK: invalid compressed format (err=1)"
or
"RAMDISK: invalid compressed format (err=2)"

Now, I've checked the sanity of the original filesystem image (prior to it being
attached to the kernel) and the gzip file tests fine. I can uncompress it, and
mount it without a problem. For some reason it only appears to be an issue when
the kernel is decompressing it (as opposed to the "real" gzip). Is there some
incompatibility between the linux kernel lib/inflate.c (which is based on gzip
1.0.3?) and the current version of gzip (1.2.4)? Another weird thing I've
noticed is that if I remove that particular file (libstdc++....so) the image
uncompresses without a hitch.

Does anyone have any clue how I can get around this problem? Any input / ideas
would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sean.

2. screen resolution

3. Invalid compressed format (err 1) after TFTP transfer

4. Japanese Kanji

5. Slackware 7.1 invalid compressed format (err=2)

6. Help with date/time calculations in shell script

7. Invalid compressed format. (err=2)

8. Can someone please explain this?

9. Invalid compressed format (err=2)?????

10. invalid compressed format (err=1)

11. INVALID COMPRESSED FORMAT (ERR=1)

12. Invalid compressed format (err=2)

13. Invalid compressed format. (err=2)???