Help setting up RH7 on multiple drives

Post by ricema » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 17:16:37

Hi, I have the following system available for an install and I would
like some advice on how to partition the hard drives.

Asus 486 mother board with 1 channel NCR 50pin SCSI, 1 channel IDE,
floppy, ps2 etc....
AMD 586-133 processor, 48megs ram.
1-2gb SCSI drive, 1-1.2GB SCSI drive, 1-550MB SCSI drive, and 1-347MB
IDE drive.
4x SCSI CD-ROM
ATI 4mb PCI video
SMC Ultra 16 Nic.

What directories in RedHat 7.0 should be the largest and which should be
the smallest? Where should I put /,  /boot, /bin, /home, /usr, /etc....?

What directories generally need the most space?
I was thinking of putting the /swap on the IDE drive or would it be
better on a SCSI drive? Also will redhat swap to more than one
partition? I've heard there's a 128mb limitation on swap. Can I make the
IDE drive into 3 swap partitions? Will Redhat see them all?

I'm planing a server install with no Xwindow. I want to learn it the
right ( hard ) way.
Your advice is appreciated.

                                                    Thanks, Jeremy

Help setting up RH7 on multiple drives

Post by Davi » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 00:46:05

I can only make suggestions on what I have based on Redhat7.0 with now an
upgraded kernel (I have 2.4.0 2.4.1-pre11 and am just doing 2.4.3 now).

My largest mount points are
/usr
/home

both of near equal size but it depends what you are going to do. Without X
on there and if you are doing alot of web stuff you may want to give
yourself a dedicated web mount point under /var or /home. If under /var you
will want /var as fairly large.

I have a relatively small / partition

/tmp is good on its own partition as well

the 128Meg limit on SWAP is no longer an issue. I have 320Meg of SWAP space
and have had it more than half used.

my setup is roughly
2.3 Gig /home
2.3 Gig /usr
320Meg  swap
/       145Meg
/var    86 Meg

My regrets are that for apache which the latest rpm put all the web serving
stuff in /var it should have been bigger and I would like /tmp in its own
partition not in / where it currently sits. I do have a 100Meg partition
still in hand but I was going to use this for an alternate / partition to
boot if anything ever goes wrong but this may be being a bit over cautious.

i's tend to go
2Gig for /home
1.2 Gig for /usr unless you are going to look at X and I would encourage
you to do so (I started with X installed and I spend about 50% of my time
in windowed apps and 50% in an Xterm) If you go with X windows you may want
to consider going the other way round.

you could then use 96 Meg of the 550Meg SCSI for SWAP I don't really think
that putting alot more SWAP in will help a great deal unless there is a
specific app that uses alot (such as GIMP but then you aren't looking at
Xwindows)

You could then allocate say 100Meg /tmp off the scsi
put / on the IDE at the full 347 and use the remainder on the SCSI to do
some other stuff like /opt or set aside a dedicated partition for X if you
put it on as /usr/X11R6

I you leave a reasonable section spare you could also install another
distro (bare bones) or follow the make your own distro How To (I forget
exactly what it is called) If you really want a learning experience.

hope this helps.

--
David