Getting Access To Internet Time Server Through External Firewall

Getting Access To Internet Time Server Through External Firewall

Post by Scott Kilmurr » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 19:52:49

Hi,

I have been asked to set this up by our network manager, we have a
linux 7.2 box setup on the inside of our firewall.  I need to know how
to set the RH7.2 box so that it can go through the firewall and pickup
the time regularly and inturn have all the other PC's on the inside of
the network use the Linux box as a local time server.

Can someone please help.

Yours

Scott Kilmurray

Getting Access To Internet Time Server Through External Firewall

Post by Manwe Sulim » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 17:39:13

Quote:> Hi,

> I have been asked to set this up by our network manager, we have a
> linux 7.2 box setup on the inside of our firewall.  I need to know how
> to set the RH7.2 box so that it can go through the firewall and pickup
> the time regularly and inturn have all the other PC's on the inside of
> the network use the Linux box as a local time server.

> Can someone please help.

> Yours

> Scott Kilmurray

Well, the first thing is that we need to know a lot more about your firewall
setup.  I guess the next easiest thing would be for you to read the docs,
man pages, etc on ntp/ntpd/ntpdate (since it may/probably be already
installed on your linux box).  Once you set up the /etc/ntp.conf (or
whatever) file correctly, you will have what I think you want on your linux
box.  Then find some freeware windows (if that is your PC platform) clients
on the web (or use Microsoft's service) to connect to the linux box.  It
states it numerous places in the docs, but you should seriously consider
setting up your Linux box so that it pulls time from at least 3 different
time servers (as high as strata as you can get to an atomic server), and let
the software average out the latency to get the closest time.  Relying on
one server can lead to problems, especially if you are not the admin for
that machine.

1. Getting W2K to access the internet thru Linux

Hi folks,
Quick question that may be easily answered =).  I have linux and W2k
working on separate computers in a network in my house.  I currently use
WinGate to get my W2k machine to access the internet, however, it is
only possible to do this if win98 is running on my linux machine.

Is there any (cheap or free) way to get my W2k machine to recognize the
Linux machine over the network and use it to access the internet without
using some kind of software like WinGate?

Thanks for your help,

p.s. Please e-mail reply if it isn't too much trouble.

2. vanishing /etc ?!

3. Accessing internal servers thru firewall

4. interrupting on DMA TC

5. Configuring Linux for internet access thru Proxy server

6. US.NY.Rockland Cty Internet Security & Troubleshoot (Recruiter)

7. Getting beyond an established firewall?...internet access okay on same box with NT but not linux.

8. Get_Hostbyname error

9. Getting around corporate firewalls to access ssh server

10. Setting up a Linux server/firewall/internet access

11. Linux getting Internet Access over a WinNT Server throughout DNS

12. Help Getting My Web Server Internet Access Please!

13. External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!