error doing tape backup across network

Post by alex » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:57:20

Hi all

I'm trying to backup files mounted on an smb share to tape using the
following command....

tar zcvf /dev/st0 /dir/name/and/so/on

bit as its archiving I keep getting the following error.

tar: ./xerox/files/xdisk_32/XDisk32.exe: file changed as we read it

I asume its windows scanning the dir or something like this.
Can anyone tell me how to prevent this problem.

Cheers
Alex

1. tape backup across linux network

Hi all,

What's the best way to perform a backup, using one SCSI DAT
drive on a machine, to back up several linux networked machines?

I'm currently nfs-mounting the directories which i want to back
up onto the machine with the tape drive, and then tarring the
nfs mounted dirs onto tape.  But this is WAY too slow (it's written
about 450 mb in the past hour... I need to back up 4.7 gigs!).

Are there better ways to do this?  Thanks!

-tam

2. Linux based Faxserver Software

3. Tape backup across network

4. Unresolved symbols in module

5. Copy from tape device to tape device across the network

6. Parameters to "find" command

7. cpio errors doing SCSI tape backup

8. PCMCIA on HP Omnibook 4100

9. Tar: tape write error while doing a backup

10. One backup across multiple tape devices

11. Tape backup across systems

12. Backup across network using cpio

13. Using SCOadmin to do backups across a network