How to stop RH7.1 looking for USB?

Post by alan » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 11:21:47

Hi, I have just installed RH 7.1. on a very old Compaq P120. Sadly it is
running real sllllloowww, and one reason (I believe) is that it's constantly
trying to find USB ports - there are none installed, not even on the
motherboard (I said it was old!).

I see messages at boot, shutdown and in the messages log  that (roughly)
look like this: "hub.c :Checking USB bus X Port y hub.c :Failed, Maybe cable
is bad? "

These just keep scrolling up the screen as it checks bus1, port 1 then bus1,
port2 etc. etc. In time with the messages I can hear the hard drive being
accessed like some mechanical heartbeat. It's DrIVing mE nUts.

All help will be greatly appreciated. Note that I am a total newbie, so
please keep it dumb.

Thanks, JL

How to stop RH7.1 looking for USB?

Post by Glen Coate » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 22:30:16

As always, the stuff I write here may well completely fsck up your
system, but this is what I did to get rid of RH7.1 USB support:

1.  Edit your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit ... there is a line which reads:

# Initialize USB controller and HID devices

Delete this line and all following lines down to (BUT NOT INCLUDING) this
line:

if [ -f /fastboot ] || grep -iq "fastboot" /proc/cmdline 2>/dev/null ;
then

You should be deleting around 30 or so lines.

2.  Edit your /etc/modules.conf and remove the line which refers to the
'usb-controller' module.

This should do it.

Cheers,
Glen

How to stop RH7.1 looking for USB?

Post by alan » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:12:17

Glen,
Sorry for not replying sooner; my monitor packed-up.

Thanks for the help though. I made the changes exactly as you suggested
(commenting out the lines with #'s) and it now works fine - it runs faster
and the annoying sound of the disk being hit has gone, and no more entries
into the sys logs.

Thanks to everyone who helped, esp you Glen,

Al.

1. USB Mouse and KB stop responding when using USB Plus ServSwitch

Hello All,
I am having a problem with (3) 280Rs and a V880 all on a Blackbox
ServSwitch (USB Plus). I have booted the four servers, one at a time,
each coming up fully and able to see the mouse and keyboard. If I
cycle through the servers using the servswitch they all lose the mouse
and keyboard. The display still works.
So far I have...
swaped out the ServSwitch
swaped cables
run each server with the KB/Mouse/monitor plugged in directly
updated the OPB on the servers
patched with the June 04 recommended patches (initial build was Sol 8
07/03)
increased the polling time on the servswitch using the dip switch on
the bottom
beat my head repeatedly against the servswitch

I have two other setups that are vary similiar and they work fine...
one of them for 18 months... any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

2. ftp via reflection

3. Upgraded to latest RH7 RPMs - POP3 stopped working!

4. Installing wnn/kinput2

5. Network stops after warm reboot RH7.3

6. Solaris 9 with MU 2

7. RH7.0 ftpd stopped working

8. Access to 3rd HD crashes system

9. Desktop icons won't stop spawning in RH7.1/Gnome/Sawfish!

10. my pppoe to Earthlink stopped working - RH7.2

11. how to stop insmod in RH7.2

12. RH7.2 stop TCP ,but don't start up once resume on PC??

13. xinetd stop failed in RH7.0