gdm.pid

Post by Alber » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 08:06:34

I have a really bad problem.  When I try to start my computer and go
into linux (RH7.0), I get this error message:

"/var/log/gdm.pid says gdm.pid is in use, but has been mysteriously
*ed"

That's not the exact message, but that's all I can remember (I'm not at
the computer in question either)

What led up to this message was I would login with a non-root id and it
would seem like X restarts.  It kept doing this repeatedly until I
rebooted, and then I got this error message.

The error message will repeat over and over with a certain number
changing each time, until I either hit CTRL-ALT-DEL or hit the reboot
button.  The screen would blank out, flicker the message for a half
second or so, and then blank out again.

Is there a solution to this problem?  Right now I can't even get to a
login screen/prompt.

--
Albert

"It is only the wisest and stupidest that cannot change."
--Confucius

gdm.pid

Post by Crai » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:28:16

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:06:34 GMT, Albert

Hi, I'm a relative Linux newbie (less than 5 days!!!)

I got exactly the same problem as you...except, if you are really
quick, you can log in from the console between "flickers" from X,
I logged in as root, and then typed init 1,

This killed X and let me use the console. I tracked the problem down
to an issue between IRQ's for my mouse and my ethernet card.....I
think....because in the end I put a newer ethernet card in, which
solved the flickering and the *ed gdm.pid, but Linux refused to
acknowledge the new card (insisting that the old card was still there,
but not making any network connections)

I ended up re-installing because I'd played around with so much with a
variety of settings that a clean -reinstall worked best!

Craig

Quote:>I have a really bad problem.  When I try to start my computer and go
>into linux (RH7.0), I get this error message:

>"/var/log/gdm.pid says gdm.pid is in use, but has been mysteriously
>*ed"

>That's not the exact message, but that's all I can remember (I'm not at
>the computer in question either)

>What led up to this message was I would login with a non-root id and it
>would seem like X restarts.  It kept doing this repeatedly until I
>rebooted, and then I got this error message.

>The error message will repeat over and over with a certain number
>changing each time, until I either hit CTRL-ALT-DEL or hit the reboot
>button.  The screen would blank out, flicker the message for a half
>second or so, and then blank out again.

>Is there a solution to this problem?  Right now I can't even get to a
>login screen/prompt.

1. gdm.pid file problem

     I have just installed Definite Linux on my computer and have been
having some problems configuring x and now when I boot linux I get to the
console login, not the graphical one. Also I get an error message saying:
     "gdm.pid file suggests that gdm is still running or was murdered
unexpectedly."
   Or some ting like that. I looked in gdm.pid and all it said was "482" on
the top line.
     Does anyone have anny suggestions on how to fix this.

I have a voodoo2 on an sis5597 motherboard chipset.

Regards.
        JL.

2. HELP! aha1542/dx4-120 problems!

3. gdm.pid

4. XFree86 and ViperII (Savage2000)

5. My G3 and the case of the Murdered gdm.pid. A who done it?!

6. ftape 2.06 on Linux 1.2.8 will not compile - Help!

7. restarting gdm after changing gdm.conf

8. "Neighbour table overflow" repeatedly?

9. gdm_config_parse : Can't find the gdm group (gdm) Aborting!

10. How to find children PID's given parent PID?

11. NSCA: "Could not log pid to file httpd.pid"

12. cygwin, unix pid to windows pid

13. Getting children's PID with parent's pid?