How to let my PC see Linux on my network

How to let my PC see Linux on my network

Post by Headley Sappleto » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:45:58

Hi
I have a network with Windows XP/2000/98/NT and Linux. All seems to be fine.
I can connect to the internet from my Linux machine, but I cannot see any of
above PC on Linux or vice versa. Of course I know nothing about Linux (very
little of the others for that matter). Red Hat Linux was so simple to
install and setup, I could'nt resist adding it to my network. Now I wish I
could exchange files with my PCs, if only for educational purposes. Can
someone help.

Headley Sappleton

How to let my PC see Linux on my network

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:02:54

Quote:> Hi
> I have a network with Windows XP/2000/98/NT and Linux. All seems to be
fine.
> I can connect to the internet from my Linux machine, but I cannot see any
of
> above PC on Linux or vice versa. Of course I know nothing about Linux
(very
> little of the others for that matter). Red Hat Linux was so simple to
> install and setup, I could'nt resist adding it to my network. Now I wish I
> could exchange files with my PCs, if only for educational purposes. Can
> someone help.

> Headley Sappleton

Go directly to www.samba.org, and make sure your Linux distribution included
the Samba software, or you can build it from scratch.

Post by Duke Robillar » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 01:46:34

>>I can connect to the internet from my Linux machine, but I cannot see any
>>above PC on Linux or vice versa. Of course I know nothing about Linux
>>little of the others for that matter). Red Hat Linux

> Go directly to www.samba.org, and make sure your Linux distribution included
> the Samba software, or you can build it from scratch.

I think all the recent RedHat's have Samba, and install it by
default, so you've probably already got it there.  All you need
to do is turn on the "SMB" server..you can do that from your Linux
desktop by searching for the "Server Configuration" menu choice,
checking the "smb" box, and clicking "Start."   It might already
be running, in which case you "Restart" instead.

Once you do that, you need to tell Samba (in Windows terms) "which
folders to share."  The only way I know to do that is to edit
/etc/samba/smb.conf on the Linux box and restart the server, but
there's probably a GUI tool.

Once you've done all this, your Windows machines will have the
Linux box's "shared folders" in their "Network Neighborhoods."

It's a little harder to go the other direction.  You've gotta add
a line like this to /etc/fstab on your Linux box:

//<windows-hostname>/<shared-folder-name> /<Linux-directory> smbfs username=<WINDOWS-UID>,password=<WINDOWS-PW>,workgroup=<WINDOWS-WG> 1 1

mkdir the <Linux-directory>, and run mount.  I say that's a
little harder, because you've got to learn a little about file
systems mounting and such. You've also got to get the
login/passwd stuff working on Windows.

It's an entertaining thing to get Samba working, if you enjoy
that kind of thing.  :-)

Duke

1. How to let my PC see Linux on my network

Hi
I have a network with Windows XP/2000/98/NT and Linux. All seems to be fine.
I can connect to the internet from my Linux machine, but I cannot see any of
above PC on Linux or vice versa. Of course I know nothing about Linux (very
little of the others for that matter). Red Hat Linux was so simple to
install and setup, I could'nt resist adding it to my network. Now I wish I
could exchange files with my PCs, if only for educational purposes. Can
someone help.

Headley Sappleton

2. How to prevent/repair HDD defects?

3. Motif shared libraries

4. let other local PC connect to Linux?

5. UUCP and Linux

6. Let linux print to win98 pc

7. Having trouble

8. Newbie question: How "network" my linux pc to my win95 pc?

9. Linux Network conflict with Novell Networked PCs

10. Why the memory seen in Linux differs from the one seen in BIOS

11. W95 sees all 96MB, Linux only sees 64MB?!

12. Seeing school network from private network