smtp/pop3 server question

Post by David Levi » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 05:28:29

Hi all -

I want to set up an SMTP / POP3 server on RH Linux 8.0.
I have POSTFIX and the IMAP packages installed. As I am
perusing the documentation for both, I have some questions...

My setup requires that my host will accept mail for three
different domains. I have configured DNS for my domain(s)
so that myhost.domainA.com is the MX for domainA.com,
domainB.com, and domainC.com.

My questions are:
When I am creating email addresses/mailboxes for users, do they have to
be actual users that I create on the Linux host, or can I just
create phantom mailboxes?

Can I tell POSTFIX that it can send mail for pop3 clients
without creating an open relay?

Thanks in advance for sharing your advice / experience -

-David

smtp/pop3 server question

Post by [alphacon » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:08:48

<snip>

Quote:> I want to set up an SMTP / POP3 server on RH Linux 8.0.
> I have POSTFIX and the IMAP packages installed. As I am
> perusing the documentation for both, I have some questions...

> My setup requires that my host will accept mail for three
> different domains. I have configured DNS for my domain(s)
> so that myhost.domainA.com is the MX for domainA.com,
> domainB.com, and domainC.com.

Despite popular belief, MX records are not needed to send and receive E-mail
messages.  Only if you have several systems and one is the primary do you
need this.

Quote:

> My questions are:
> When I am creating email addresses/mailboxes for users, do they have to
> be actual users that I create on the Linux host, or can I just
> create phantom mailboxes?

Since SENDMAIL is handling the SMTP you can update the /etc/aliases file.
This can map an alias to a username.  Notice how many different aliases will
deliver to root.
Quote:

> Can I tell POSTFIX that it can send mail for pop3 clients
> without creating an open relay?

> Thanks in advance for sharing your advice / experience -

> -David

1. Setting up smtp/pop3 server question

Hi all -

I want to set up an SMTP / POP3 server on RH Linux 8.0.
I have POSTFIX and the IMAP packages installed. As I am
perusing the documentation for both, I have some questions...

My setup requires that my host will accept mail for three
different domains. I have configured DNS for my domain(s)
so that myhost.domainA.com is the MX for domainA.com,
domainB.com, and domainC.com.

My questions are:
When I am creating email addresses/mailboxes for users, do they have to
be actual users that I create on the Linux host, or can I just
create phantom mailboxes?

Can I tell POSTFIX that it can send mail for pop3 clients
without creating an open relay?

Thanks in advance for sharing your advice / experience -

-David

2. Help about Apache and php3 .

3. running smtp server and pop3 server on same machine ?

4. Perl problem on LinuxPPC 2000

5. POP3/SMTP Linux Server

6. Uggghhhhh! How do I DO this..system-wide mail aliases

7. POP3 / SMTP Server for small network ???

8. emacs for AIX-5.x?

9. setting up a SMTP or POP3 server

10. Can I use kerberos with pop3 or smtp server daemon?

11. Help: Eudora mail application cannot connect with POP3 and SMTP server

12. SMTP & POP3 Server

13. How to connect a POP3/SMTP Mail server with Solaris 2.5?