Wow! Repeatable Redhat 8 Crash with Fresh Install

Wow! Repeatable Redhat 8 Crash with Fresh Install

Post by Skad » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:23:24

I can almost always get Redhat 8 to completely crash out to blackness
by simply doing the following.

Launch Mozilla.  Immediately after it pops up, grab the lower right
hand corner and resize the window.  Redhat 8 crashes out to obscurity.
 Only a hard reset will bring it back to life.

I just installed Redhat 8 tonight and IMMEDIATELY encountered this
problem.  My friend was with me, and I was telling him all about the
stability of linux.  Talk about having someone laugh in your face.

If I format and reinstall... might I encounter this problem again?

Post by Ian Pilche » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:40:10

> I can almost always get Redhat 8 to completely crash out to blackness
> by simply doing the following.

> Launch Mozilla.  Immediately after it pops up, grab the lower right
> hand corner and resize the window.  Redhat 8 crashes out to obscurity.
>  Only a hard reset will bring it back to life.

That sounds like an X server bug (or misconfiguration).

Quote:> I just installed Redhat 8 tonight and IMMEDIATELY encountered this
> problem.  My friend was with me, and I was telling him all about the
> stability of linux.  Talk about having someone laugh in your face.

It does seem to always work that way.

Quote:> If I format and reinstall... might I encounter this problem again?

If it is the X server, I would think you might.

Post by Rick Turn » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:04:46

> > I can almost always get Redhat 8 to completely crash out to blackness
> > by simply doing the following.

> > Launch Mozilla.  Immediately after it pops up, grab the lower right
> > hand corner and resize the window.  Redhat 8 crashes out to obscurity.
> >  Only a hard reset will bring it back to life.

> That sounds like an X server bug (or misconfiguration).

I seem to recall downloading an updated Mozilla (available via RHN)
shortly after installing RH8.  Wonder if Skadar downloaded that one.

I tried what he described and nothing happened.  Though I suppose it's
always possible, I'm having difficulty believing the need for a hard
reset.  One RH8 installation was on a P166 and had trouble with X for
a bit (mostly those darned onboard Cirrus chips that Compaq used to
use but an old Number Nine Trio64-based card wasn't much better) and
the biggest problem is only having have 1MB of video RAM. But with all
the trouble those cards caused, nothing ever latched up to the extent
where I couldn't get do a Ctrl-Alt-F2 (for example) and stop X with a
``kill -9''. And that's without the updated Mozilla.

Quote:

> > I just installed Redhat 8 tonight and IMMEDIATELY encountered this
> > problem.  My friend was with me, and I was telling him all about the
> > stability of linux.  Talk about having someone laugh in your face.

> It does seem to always work that way.

Could be another case of YMMV but that sure doesn't lessen the
embarassment of having that happen in front of someone you're trying
to convert.  And if it happens too many times you'll want to give up
that dream of being Bill Gates's trade show demo assistant.

1. Wow, Wow, Wow

As a new user, I want to say how _very_ impressed I am with the performance
of FreeBSD.

Readers of alt.os.linux.mandrake have been hearing the saga of my inherited
1996 PC for several months now. Maybe the latest twist would be of interest
to some here.

The box started life in 1996, with a 120MHz Cyrix 686 (a sub Pentium I
clone), running W95. Since it wasn't up to running NT4.0 it was replaced by
a faster machine and passed on to a friend. I found it again in March,
sitting in a corner gathering dust. I guess this fate has befallen many
perfectly usable computers - you can even write a 3 year old computer off
agaist tax Germany.

Since I needed a 2nd computer, I took it home again and tried to install
Linux on it. The box has now gone through these itterations. Redhat 7.1
(didn't work), Redhat 7.2 (failed too), Slackware 7 (crude install but
worked), (upgraded 128MB EDO memory) Mandrake 8.1, (hard disk upgrade)
Mandrake 8.2, (CPU clocked) Mandrake 8.2 + (CPU replaced by PentiumMMX 166)
+ KDE3.

Mandrake is beautiful to install and maintain but the performance for KDE
was often sluggish, even with the faster CPU and 128MB memory.

So out of curiousity I installed FreeBSD - not too easy since I got caught
by the CD DMA problem, but once it was running .... Jeepers! The box
behaves as if it were an P4 on steroids.

The performance, especially for KDE3, is nothing short of astounding
compared to Linux. KDE initalisation took around 2 minutes under Linux. It
takes around 15-20 seconds under FreeBSD which is about as fast as an
AthlonXP 1800 box running Linux. Applications are not just noticably
faster, they are so much faster I can now run programs, like glchess, that
near killed the same box under Linux. I'll try to run some benchmarks but
subjectively, from GUI userland, I would say the box feels as if the CPU
clock had been trippled or quadrupled.

Mandrake is not the fastest Linux but I won't them for sluggish performance,
since even good old Slackware was massively slower than FreeBSD. Anyone
care to offer an oppinion why the same hardware/software appears so much
faster under the FreeBSD kernel? Is UFS so much faster than ext3 ? (sure
the journaling is an overhead but I didn't notice so much difference
compared to ext2).

The range of packages availble for FBSD is also excellent. I'm particularly
grateful for the full Ruby implementation.

I believe I'm going to continue using FBSD ... looks like I'm a convert.

Aidan

2. Question about file system

3. fresh install, fresh problems

4. 3D card FAQ

5. scsi card not found after fresh install RedHat 6.2

6. MkLinux, PPP, and CHAP

7. RedHat 5.2 FRESH install

8. eval-ing a for loop

9. Redhat Linux 7.1, fresh install Gnome Hangs machine (in non failsafe mode)

10. Can't telnet to fresh RedHat 4.1 install

11. xdm not starting on fresh redhat 5.0 install

12. Access to /dev/ttyS1 device under fresh Redhat 5.0 ftp install

13. RedHat 6.2 fresh install won't boot---help!