Wow, I fixed it.

Post by Drew » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 01:52:49

I managed to get RPM to install Galeon again by just doing 'rpm -e
galeon', waiting a very long time, then doing 'rpm -i --nodeps
galeon-1.2.5-1.i386.rpm' again and waiting. At first Galeon wouldn't
run with a "couldn't initialize mozilla libraries" error but after
doing

$ export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.1

Galeon ran fine, albeit with a warning that it had been compiled
against a different version of Mozilla (1.0.0.) and that I could get
weird segmentation faults and the like.

Just pointing this out in case anyone else has a similar problem in
the near future.

1. Wow, Wow, Wow

As a new user, I want to say how _very_ impressed I am with the performance
of FreeBSD.

Readers of alt.os.linux.mandrake have been hearing the saga of my inherited
1996 PC for several months now. Maybe the latest twist would be of interest
to some here.

The box started life in 1996, with a 120MHz Cyrix 686 (a sub Pentium I
clone), running W95. Since it wasn't up to running NT4.0 it was replaced by
a faster machine and passed on to a friend. I found it again in March,
sitting in a corner gathering dust. I guess this fate has befallen many
perfectly usable computers - you can even write a 3 year old computer off
agaist tax Germany.

Since I needed a 2nd computer, I took it home again and tried to install
Linux on it. The box has now gone through these itterations. Redhat 7.1
(didn't work), Redhat 7.2 (failed too), Slackware 7 (crude install but
worked), (upgraded 128MB EDO memory) Mandrake 8.1, (hard disk upgrade)
Mandrake 8.2, (CPU clocked) Mandrake 8.2 + (CPU replaced by PentiumMMX 166)
+ KDE3.

Mandrake is beautiful to install and maintain but the performance for KDE
was often sluggish, even with the faster CPU and 128MB memory.

So out of curiousity I installed FreeBSD - not too easy since I got caught
by the CD DMA problem, but once it was running .... Jeepers! The box
behaves as if it were an P4 on steroids.

The performance, especially for KDE3, is nothing short of astounding
compared to Linux. KDE initalisation took around 2 minutes under Linux. It
takes around 15-20 seconds under FreeBSD which is about as fast as an
AthlonXP 1800 box running Linux. Applications are not just noticably
faster, they are so much faster I can now run programs, like glchess, that
near killed the same box under Linux. I'll try to run some benchmarks but
subjectively, from GUI userland, I would say the box feels as if the CPU
clock had been trippled or quadrupled.

Mandrake is not the fastest Linux but I won't them for sluggish performance,
since even good old Slackware was massively slower than FreeBSD. Anyone
care to offer an oppinion why the same hardware/software appears so much
faster under the FreeBSD kernel? Is UFS so much faster than ext3 ? (sure
the journaling is an overhead but I didn't notice so much difference
compared to ext2).

The range of packages availble for FBSD is also excellent. I'm particularly
grateful for the full Ruby implementation.

I believe I'm going to continue using FBSD ... looks like I'm a convert.

Aidan

2. help, strange bug

3. rmusr -p wow =>3004-698 Error committing changes to "wow"

4. Linux is good

5. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

6. ncpfs - short file names

7. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

8. Xwindows at 1024x768

9. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

10. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

11. PATCH: fix ALi 32bitisms, fix ALi FIFO, fix ALi IRQ crash

12. Wow, I bet this is kinda embarrassing....

13. Bye all. Wow the Linux scene has changed.