Multi boot OS install sequence

Multi boot OS install sequence

Post by Peaceni » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:23:07



In the past, I've always installed Windows first and the Linux last but what
usually means is that I can never reload Windows 98/ME on that hard drive
again -at least not without a lot of extra work It's not  usually a problem
because I usually just buy a new hard drive every once in a while and do
fresh installs then, before Linux has had a chance to do whatever it does to
the hard drive to make it so difficult to reinstall non-NT based Windows OS'.

I recently bought an 80 gig drive and that should give me enough growing room
to last a while, which means that I don't want to have to buy a new hard
drive in the near future just so I can reinstall Windows ME. I only use ME as
a platform for some old games I have that weren't designed to run on NT based
systems.

My question is about the OS install sequence. What I am wondering about is
setting up my new 80 gig drive as a ME/Win2k drive only, pulling that drive
out, and loading the new RH 8.0 on a second physical hard drive. Then, move
the RH drive to the Secondary IDE slot (slave) and reinstalling the Windows
hd as the Primary boot drive and using a simple boot menu from either ME or
Win2k edited to include RH from the second drive instead of using GRUB or
LILO from the RH drive. If that would work, then I could reload ME without
any hassle.

Can RH be started from a Windows boot menu if the menu is edited to point to
it? Or, is there a way to install RH on a hard drive without corrupting the
MBR (or whatever it does) so that Win ME or 98 can still be installed on it?

Thanks.

E.

 
 
 

Multi boot OS install sequence

Post by Davi » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:00:36



> In the past, I've always installed Windows first and the Linux last but what
> usually means is that I can never reload Windows 98/ME on that hard drive
> again -at least not without a lot of extra work It's not  usually a problem
> because I usually just buy a new hard drive every once in a while and do
> fresh installs then, before Linux has had a chance to do whatever it does to
> the hard drive to make it so difficult to reinstall non-NT based Windows OS'.

> I recently bought an 80 gig drive and that should give me enough growing room
> to last a while, which means that I don't want to have to buy a new hard
> drive in the near future just so I can reinstall Windows ME. I only use ME as
> a platform for some old games I have that weren't designed to run on NT based
> systems.

> My question is about the OS install sequence. What I am wondering about is
> setting up my new 80 gig drive as a ME/Win2k drive only, pulling that drive
> out, and loading the new RH 8.0 on a second physical hard drive. Then, move
> the RH drive to the Secondary IDE slot (slave) and reinstalling the Windows
> hd as the Primary boot drive and using a simple boot menu from either ME or
> Win2k edited to include RH from the second drive instead of using GRUB or
> LILO from the RH drive. If that would work, then I could reload ME without
> any hassle.

> Can RH be started from a Windows boot menu if the menu is edited to point to
> it? Or, is there a way to install RH on a hard drive without corrupting the
> MBR (or whatever it does) so that Win ME or 98 can still be installed on it?

All you need is a windows boot disk so you can boot from it and
run "fdisk /MBR" to clear lilo or grub from the MBR. Then
reinstall windows. Then boot to linux with a bootdisk and run
lilo or install grub to the MBR again.

--
   Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org

 
 
 

Multi boot OS install sequence

Post by Peaceni » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:44:39



> All you need is a windows boot disk so you can boot from it and
> run "fdisk /MBR" to clear lilo or grub from the MBR. Then
> reinstall windows. Then boot to linux with a bootdisk and run
> lilo or install grub to the MBR again.

> --
>    Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
> Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org

Lol. Thanks but the obvious options have never worked for me. I even tried
running a debug script that was supposed to "really" erase all traces of any
OS on the hard drive but even that didn't work. I can always get the initial
boot from the Win 9x boot disk but it's the second boot after the setup that
fails. I never understand it, and it's frustrated me to the point that I just
laugh about it now. I know that I should just use Wine or VMware but this has
become a sick, twisted quest for me -the freedom to load or reload Win ME/98
whenever I feel like it without having to buy a new hard drive each time.
Hehe.

E.

 
 
 

Multi boot OS install sequence

Post by Lenar » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 23:23:00



> In the past, I've always installed Windows first and the Linux last but
> what usually means is that I can never reload Windows 98/ME on that hard
> drive again -at least not without a lot of extra work It's not  usually
> a problem because I usually just buy a new hard drive every once in a
> while and do fresh installs then, before Linux has had a chance to do
> whatever it does to the hard drive to make it so difficult to reinstall
> non-NT based Windows OS'.

> I recently bought an 80 gig drive and that should give me enough growing
> room to last a while, which means that I don't want to have to buy a new
> hard drive in the near future just so I can reinstall Windows ME. I only
> use ME as a platform for some old games I have that weren't designed to
> run on NT based systems.

> My question is about the OS install sequence. What I am wondering about
> is setting up my new 80 gig drive as a ME/Win2k drive only, pulling that
> drive out, and loading the new RH 8.0 on a second physical hard drive.
> Then, move the RH drive to the Secondary IDE slot (slave) and
> reinstalling the Windows hd as the Primary boot drive and using a simple
> boot menu from either ME or Win2k edited to include RH from the second
> drive instead of using GRUB or LILO from the RH drive. If that would
> work, then I could reload ME without any hassle.

There is no reason to pull the first hard drive, with Windows Me/W2k to
install Linux on to the second hard drive. Just leave the second drive in
the system as the slave. When you are done with installing Windows,
install Linux to the second. When installing Linux install either GRUB or
LILO to the first Linux partition of the second drive.

Quote:> Can RH be started from a Windows boot menu if the menu is edited to
> point to it? Or, is there a way to install RH on a hard drive without
> corrupting the MBR (or whatever it does) so that Win ME or 98 can still
> be installed on it?

Yes, the Windows W2k boot loader can modified to add the option of booting
into Linux. Just make sure that you create the boot floppy at the end of
the Linux installation. Then using the boot floppy;

Boot into Linux and copy the boot image from the first sector of your boot
partition. You'll want to take 512 bytes of this partition once, and write
it out to a file called bootsect.lnx. The entry should look like:

dd if=/dev/hdX of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

Move that file onto your c:\ drive and edit boot.ini, adding the following
line:

c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

The only drawback to this is each time you upgrade/update the Linux kernel
you need to recreate the bootscet.lnx file in order to boot Linux with the
new kernel. You will need to create a new Linux boot floppy for the new
kernel, after installing it without uninstalling the current Linux kernel.
Reboot the system and choose the new kernel at the Linux boot prompt, then
create the new bootsect.lnx file. When done then you can remove the old
kernel if desired.

 
 
 

Multi boot OS install sequence

Post by Peaceni » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:19:25



> There is no reason to pull the first hard drive, with Windows Me/W2k to
> install Linux on to the second hard drive. Just leave the second drive in
> the system as the slave. When you are done with installing Windows,
> install Linux to the second. When installing Linux install either GRUB or
> LILO to the first Linux partition of the second drive.

If I install Grub to the first partition, will it still work as the main boot
loader? I never tried it that way but it sounds like a great solution.

Thanks.

E.

 
 
 

Multi boot OS install sequence

Post by Timothy Murph » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:36:45



> If I install Grub to the first partition, will it still work as the main
> boot loader? I never tried it that way but it sounds like a great
> solution.

I think that to have any chance of success
you'll have to make the first partition active,
eg with fdisk.

--
Timothy Murphy  

tel: +353-86-233 6090
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

 
 
 

Multi boot OS install sequence

Post by Peaceni » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:26:56




> > If I install Grub to the first partition, will it still work as the main
> > boot loader? I never tried it that way but it sounds like a great
> > solution.

> I think that to have any chance of success
> you'll have to make the first partition active,
> eg with fdisk.

The first partition of the second drive, right? The one where I would install
Grub?
 
 
 

Multi boot OS install sequence

Post by Lenar » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 05:33:34




>> There is no reason to pull the first hard drive, with Windows Me/W2k to
>> install Linux on to the second hard drive. Just leave the second drive
>> in the system as the slave. When you are done with installing Windows,
>> install Linux to the second. When installing Linux install either GRUB
>> or LILO to the first Linux partition of the second drive.

> If I install Grub to the first partition, will it still work as the main
> boot loader? I never tried it that way but it sounds like a great
> solution.

> Thanks.

> E.

Either you install GRUB to the MBR of the first primary drive or to the
first partition of the second drive for Linux.

In either case you will need either GRUB or LILO to boot linux with.

If you install GRUB or LILO to the MBR of the first hard drive then it can
be used to boot Linux/Windows (WinMe/W2K via the W2k boot loader)

If you install GRUB or LILO to the first partition of the second drive,
then you use the Windows 2000 boot loader to boot any of the three OS's.
GRUB or LILO is then used to 'finish' booting Linux.

 
 
 

Multi boot OS install sequence

Post by Peaceni » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 10:27:30



> > If I install Grub to the first partition, will it still work as the main
> > boot loader? I never tried it that way but it sounds like a great
> > solution.

> Either you install GRUB to the MBR of the first primary drive or to the
> first partition of the second drive for Linux.

> In either case you will need either GRUB or LILO to boot linux with.

> If you install GRUB or LILO to the MBR of the first hard drive then it can
> be used to boot Linux/Windows (WinMe/W2K via the W2k boot loader)

> If you install GRUB or LILO to the first partition of the second drive,
> then you use the Windows 2000 boot loader to boot any of the three OS's.
> GRUB or LILO is then used to 'finish' booting Linux.

Ah. I get it. Thanks. I'll be trying this out this weekend then.