New to RH7 X-term help needed

Post by ErMac » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 06:50:07

I am very familiar with Solaris 2.X and  HP-UX and have used PC based Xterm
software to access these systems on numerous occasions.  I can't seem to get
the XDM to work on a Red Hat 7 Linux box.  I added the

* CHOOSER BROADCAST

to /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess

I added a line to /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

winbox:0 foreign

what am I missing??

Please help this is the first Linux box we have running and I need to make
this work.

ErMac!!!!

New to RH7 X-term help needed

Post by Robert Hurs » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 21:07:33

In /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config, did you set a comment in the last line to be:

! DisplayManager.requestPort:    0

Quote:> I am very familiar with Solaris 2.X and  HP-UX and have used PC based
Xterm
> software to access these systems on numerous occasions.  I can't seem to
get
> the XDM to work on a Red Hat 7 Linux box.  I added the

> * CHOOSER BROADCAST

> to /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess

> I added a line to /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

> winbox:0 foreign

> what am I missing??

> Please help this is the first Linux box we have running and I need to make
> this work.

> ErMac!!!!

1. Need help setting up a remote X-term.

Greetings Linux and X users,

I am using RH Linux 5.2. What I am having trouble with is setting up a
connection from my Linux machine at home to a remote computer at work in
order to use X remote applications from home. The idea is that I will
use my local Linux X server to get allow me to use all the graphical X
applications on the remote computer.

I can't find any real specific documentation on how to to this, but this
is what I have tried:

1. I connect to the network using PPP (this all works -- I can access
other services such mail and WWW for instance).

2. Then I telnet to the remote machine using "telnet
remote-machine.qut.edu.au" from my xterm prompt in Linux. I can get in
alright under text mode.

3. Once in the remote machine under telnet, I set the DISPLAY variable
to be the (dynamically allocated) IP address of my local machine)
followed by :0.0 (eg. export DISPLAY=131.181.123.456:0.0). Note, I get
the local IP address information by running traceroute -- is there a
better/ more direct way?

4. Then I run a graphical X application like xemacs. And it just hangs
at the prompt.

I have tried using the local "xhost" command to add
remote-machine.qut.edu.au. But this doesn't seem to make much of a
difference either.

Note that I have previously been able to connect and access these X
programs on the remote computer under windows using X server emulator
like MIX and Xcursion. The technique was similar -- login with telnet,
configure the DISPLAY variable on the remote machine and then fire up
the X server emulator.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I thought using the
dinki-di X server that comes with Linux would make it a breeze --
obviously I'm doing something simple wrong...

Thanks,

Matthew

--
Matthew B. Kennedy
Queensland University of Technology

2. Solaris: PC v. Sparc

3. Smart-term vs. x-term

4. Boot problems -- Suddenly "unable to open initial console"

5. Help: Connect HP 700RX x-term to Linux PC

6. /dev Questions

7. HELP NCD X-TERM OVERLOAD

8. how to set up hp 682c

9. X-Term setup help

10. Help on Color X-term & CD-Player !!!

11. Help me compile Colour X-Term under SLS

12. Help: PF keys on x-term VT100 emulation.

13. X-Term setup help