1. Need help setting up a remote X-term.
Greetings Linux and X users,
I am using RH Linux 5.2. What I am having trouble with is setting up a
connection from my Linux machine at home to a remote computer at work in
order to use X remote applications from home. The idea is that I will
use my local Linux X server to get allow me to use all the graphical X
applications on the remote computer.
I can't find any real specific documentation on how to to this, but this
is what I have tried:
1. I connect to the network using PPP (this all works -- I can access
other services such mail and WWW for instance).
2. Then I telnet to the remote machine using "telnet
remote-machine.qut.edu.au" from my xterm prompt in Linux. I can get in
alright under text mode.
3. Once in the remote machine under telnet, I set the DISPLAY variable
to be the (dynamically allocated) IP address of my local machine)
followed by :0.0 (eg. export DISPLAY=126.96.36.1996:0.0). Note, I get
the local IP address information by running traceroute -- is there a
better/ more direct way?
4. Then I run a graphical X application like xemacs. And it just hangs
at the prompt.
I have tried using the local "xhost" command to add
remote-machine.qut.edu.au. But this doesn't seem to make much of a
Note that I have previously been able to connect and access these X
programs on the remote computer under windows using X server emulator
like MIX and Xcursion. The technique was similar -- login with telnet,
configure the DISPLAY variable on the remote machine and then fire up
the X server emulator.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I thought using the
dinki-di X server that comes with Linux would make it a breeze --
obviously I'm doing something simple wrong...
Matthew B. Kennedy
Queensland University of Technology
2. Solaris: PC v. Sparc
3. Smart-term vs. x-term
4. Boot problems -- Suddenly "unable to open initial console"
5. Help: Connect HP 700RX x-term to Linux PC
6. /dev Questions
7. HELP NCD X-TERM OVERLOAD
8. how to set up hp 682c
9. X-Term setup help
10. Help on Color X-term & CD-Player !!!
11. Help me compile Colour X-Term under SLS
12. Help: PF keys on x-term VT100 emulation.
13. X-Term setup help