Dual Boot Question

Post by tightenu » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 01:52:06

I know that the limitations with Linux and Windows 98 are just nutsoid but
what if I install Win2K and Linux.  Will that dual boot ok???  My next 4
classes in college are on WinNT (server etc..) and Win2K would be more
benefial.  I know there are limitations with hardware for win2K and I guess
my concern is going to be mostly having hardware that is new enough for
Win2K drivers and old enough for there to be drivers in Linux.  Has anyone
done that???  Is there something special about that kind of setup???

Thanks in advance
Sandra

Dual Boot Question

Post by Sipe » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:39:24

Win2k has support for most recent hardware.  I wouldn't worry about drivers
for Win2k.

You can load Linux on a system after Win2k.  But read the documentation
first at www.redhat.com because you can*it all up.  You don't want
LILO on the MBR but the first track of the linux partition.  Get Bootpart
at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

which will allow you to use the Win2k bootloader to load linux.  Just follow
the directions and you should be okay.

Now, if only someone could tell me why my Red Hat installation talks to me
in Japanese...
--

Micah

Quote:> I know that the limitations with Linux and Windows 98 are just nutsoid but
> what if I install Win2K and Linux.  Will that dual boot ok???  My next 4
> classes in college are on WinNT (server etc..) and Win2K would be more
> benefial.  I know there are limitations with hardware for win2K and I
guess
> my concern is going to be mostly having hardware that is new enough for
> Win2K drivers and old enough for there to be drivers in Linux.  Has anyone
> done that???  Is there something special about that kind of setup???

> Thanks in advance
> Sandra

1. OBSD 2.6 dual boot question

I've used UNIX as an "end user" for more years than I care
to think about.  At home I have tried, and used, RH 6.2, MD 7.0,
Caldera 2.3 & 2.4, SuSE 6.4, and FreeBSD 3.4 & 4.0.  Call me
a sucker but a good O/S is worth a donation of a couple of $$ to
the authors for the cause.  FYI... I like FreeBSD 4.0 best
followed by SuSE 6.4.  The problem with the BSD's is the lack
of support of "parallel port" devices such as ZIP drives.

Anyhow, I just got my OBSD 2.6 CD's ( 2.7 is on order :-) ) and
I must tell you it was a bear to install.  I had to use the biggest
magnifying glass I could find just to read the install instructions.
My biggest problem was the "crude" way of setting up the disk slices.
Not a very pretty way of doing things.

I have a two disk system.  wd0 is my W98 O/S for my daughter and
her office work. wd1 is my Linux/BSD drive.  When I installed OBSD
I chose the use the "whole" wd1 disk.  After I finally got the disk
slices setup and formated, instalation was OK.  My problem is how
do I set up a dual boot system?  When I rebooted my system, all I got
was the "LI" from the previous Linux Loader (LILO) and I was stuck.

Can any one help me out setting up a dual boot system?  What did I
miss during the install?  Is there a URL that could explain the setup?

Thanks in advance... cwa
(Personal responses are welcome.  Just remove the .INVALID)

I understand that OBSD 2.7 is easier to install.  Can't wait.
If 2.6 or 2.7 don't work out, the $60 cost is a small price to pay
to keep the development going.

--
---
Christopher W. Aiken

SuSE Linux 6.4

--
---
Christopher W. Aiken

SuSE Linux 6.4

2. Help! Where is slattach?

3. Newbie with dual boot question

4. dictionary & dux (non empty)

5. Lots of Dual-Boot questions

6. PCB - design Problem

7. LILO dual-boot question, from Salon reporter

8. Help!! locating how much memory

9. dual boot question

10. Linux and Solaris Dual Boot question!

11. Dual Boot Question

12. Dual boot question

13. Dual Boot Question