i686 Kernel vs. athlon

Post by Tom Schroede » Fri, 24 May 2002 03:51:40

I have a server at an ISP that recently crashed and had to be rebuilt, I
think due to imcompatibility issues.  Anyway, when I run uname -m I get
i686 for the kernel, however, when I grep for CPU in messages, I get the
following:

messages.1:Mar  4 15:16:01 localhost kernel: CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP
1700+ stepping 02

    The question I have is that, given the CPU, would the athlon kernel
work better or the i686 one.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Tom Schroeder

i686 Kernel vs. athlon

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sat, 25 May 2002 13:35:53

> I have a server at an ISP that recently crashed and had to be rebuilt, I
> think due to imcompatibility issues.  Anyway, when I run uname -m I get
> i686 for the kernel, however, when I grep for CPU in messages, I get the
> following:

> messages.1:Mar  4 15:16:01 localhost kernel: CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP
> 1700+ stepping 02

>     The question I have is that, given the CPU, would the athlon kernel
> work better or the i686 one.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

This is just a question of optimization so there isn't much difference.

But, yes the Athlon Kernel would be better.  But, it isn't a big
difference.

--
JRT

1. Linux Kernel i386 vs i586 vs i686

This is probably specific to Redhat Linux.  I'm looking to upgrade a
Redhat kernel to 2.2.16 and I'm not sure which RPMs I need.  I am
running a Pentium II 400 Mhz, so does that mean I want the i686 RPMs
when available and otherwise the i386 RPMs?  I looked in the Redhat
Kernel Upgrade HOWTO and didn't find any info regarding this issue.

-Sean

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. can active shared memory segments be paged out ?

3. kernel rpm for athlon xp is i686 ok ??

4. LILO: Huge Harddisk?

5. Athlon kernel crash (i686 works)

6. XF86Config file for STB card

7. i586 kernel vs i686 kernel

8. Help with make a failsafe linux partition

9. Am I i386, i686 athlon or what?

10. Athlon + Athlon optimized kernel => _mmx_mmcpy problems

11. Athlon vs. 686 optimization for kernel

12. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

13. 2.4.7 vs serial.c on an i686