Redhat Upgrade Install

Post by Gre » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:16:45

I have several (15-20)Redhat Linux Systems (7.0 through 9.0).  Since
Redhat now only supports versions for 1 year (very frustrated by
this), I'm looking into following their upgrade cycle and upgrading
all my systems once a year.  I've always done a fresh install of
Redhat, I've never done the upgrade option.  Are there any problems or
gotchas to look for?  What are everyone's experiences with this?  Is
it worth it?  I never use Redhat support and don't really care about
package enhancements, RHN was just a good way to keep a system patched
(security wise). I know some love some hate Redhat, but we HAVE to
stick with them (for the software we run on it).  Also, we are not
looking to spend the money they want for Enterprise server.  Thanks in
advance.......

Redhat Upgrade Install

Post by jmw » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:38:45

fwiw -- i've run the automatic update about a half dozen times,
and haven't found a problem so far.

> I have several (15-20)Redhat Linux Systems (7.0 through 9.0).  Since
> Redhat now only supports versions for 1 year (very frustrated by
> this), I'm looking into following their upgrade cycle and upgrading
> all my systems once a year.  I've always done a fresh install of
> Redhat, I've never done the upgrade option.  Are there any problems or
> gotchas to look for?  What are everyone's experiences with this?  Is
> it worth it?  I never use Redhat support and don't really care about
> package enhancements, RHN was just a good way to keep a system patched
> (security wise). I know some love some hate Redhat, but we HAVE to
> stick with them (for the software we run on it).  Also, we are not
> looking to spend the money they want for Enterprise server.  Thanks in
> advance.......

1. Redhat 3.0.3 install and upgrade to 2.0.0

I got the Redhat distribution of Linux and installed the
1.3.57 kernel. I then went to the Redhad web page where
they had some simple instructions on how to update to
linux 2.0.0. I followed them and I got the following error
message when installing NetKit-B and portmap. Any clues as
to what is going on? Or what I did wrong? Or what I should
do to fix this problem?

 NetKit-B                    /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet conflicts with file from inits
ripts-2.4-4
error: /disk1/rpm/NetKit-B-0.06-13.i386.rpm cannot be installed
portmap                     /usr/sbin/pmap_dump conflicts with file from NetKit-
B-0.06-10
/usr/sbin/pmap_set conflicts with file from NetKit-B-0.06-10
error: /disk1/rpm/portmap-4.0-1.i386.rpm cannot be installed

Thanks.

Steve

2. Installation Question

3. Installing Redhat Upgrades?

4. Unexpected daily disk activity...

5. How to install RedHat-6.2 after RPM 4.0 upgrade??

6. Need help with MRTG

7. My First Install - InfoMagic CD with RedHat Kernal 2.0.27 - Can I upgrade?

8. Windows NT boot manager

9. Upgrade VS clean install RedHat 7.2 to 7.3

10. upgrade or install redhat 5.0

11. upgrade kernel 2.2 from kernel 2.0.x without install redhat 6.0

12. help: upgrading redhat 6.2 server install with GUI

13. RedHat 5.1 upgrade fails - reboots during pre-install phase