domain names and FTP

Post by Mark Symm » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 02:38:56

Hi all,
        I am new to Linux and I am running RedHat 7.3/Server. I own my own
domain name.  I was wanting to reflect that domain name on logins ( i.e

changed the /ext/sysconfig/network file to read HOSTNAME= "mydomain.net".
My hosts file  now reads
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain
192.168.1.144           "mydomain.net"

The change at telnet login was fine.  I get the host name I want, but my
ftp login now takes an extremely long time to connect.  When I change the
HOSTNAME back to the default localhost.localdomain in the network file the
ftp connection was back to normal.  How can I make this change work like it
is supposed to? How will this affect POP3 and SMTP domains as I plan to run
my own mail server in the near future?

Thanks in advance :)
Mark

domain names and FTP

Post by Davi » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:37:24

> Hi all,
>            I am new to Linux and I am running RedHat 7.3/Server. I own my own
> domain name.  I was wanting to reflect that domain name on logins ( i.e

> changed the /ext/sysconfig/network file to read HOSTNAME= "mydomain.net".
> My hosts file  now reads
> 127.0.0.1          localhost.localdomain
> 192.168.1.144      "mydomain.net"

> The change at telnet login was fine.  I get the host name I want, but my
> ftp login now takes an extremely long time to connect.  When I change the
> HOSTNAME back to the default localhost.localdomain in the network file the
> ftp connection was back to normal.  How can I make this change work like it
> is supposed to? How will this affect POP3 and SMTP domains as I plan to run
> my own mail server in the near future?

> Thanks in advance :)
> Mark

HOSTNAME= thiscomputer
You don't use the "domain.net" part for the hostname.

thiscomputer.domain.net
  ^^^^^^^^^  |--------- not this part
     ^^^
     ^^
This is hostname

--
   Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.

domain names and FTP

Post by Mark Symm » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 04:33:38

Quote:

> HOSTNAME= thiscomputer
> You don't use the "domain.net" part for the hostname.

> thiscomputer.domain.net
>   ^^^^^^^^^  |--------- not this part
>      ^^^
>      ^^
> This is hostname

David, thanks.
         I need to put 'thiscomputer' (thiscomputer.domain.net) in place
in  network file.  I think I understand.  "thiscomputer" is '1 of n'
named 'thiscomputer' of the domain.  Is that the way it works?  Should
this fix the ftp login delay? Or what other things do I need to alter?

-mark

domain names and FTP

Post by Ric » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 07:55:57

Quote:> David, thanks.
>   I need to put 'thiscomputer' (thiscomputer.domain.net) in place
> in  network file.  I think I understand.  "thiscomputer" is '1 of n'
> named 'thiscomputer' of the domain.  Is that the way it works?  Should
> this fix the ftp login delay? Or what other things do I need to alter?

> -mark

thiscomputer.domain.net = Fully Qualified Domain Name

thiscomputer = Hostname

domain.net = Domain Name

When you get to Apache (just so you know now already)

The hostname is not the same as the servername :-)

domain names and FTP

Post by Davi » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 12:49:32

>>HOSTNAME= thiscomputer
>>You don't use the "domain.net" part for the hostname.

>>thiscomputer.domain.net
>>  ^^^^^^^^^  |--------- not this part
>>     ^^^
>>     ^^
>>This is hostname

> David, thanks.
>     I need to put 'thiscomputer' (thiscomputer.domain.net) in place
> in  network file.  I think I understand.  "thiscomputer" is '1 of n'
> named 'thiscomputer' of the domain.  Is that the way it works?  Should
> this fix the ftp login delay? Or what other things do I need to alter?

> -mark

On a network you might have several computers with different hostnames
and still use the same domain name.

thiscomputer          #  These could all be hostnames on
thatcomputer          #  whatever domain.net you choose.
theothercomputer

--

Post by Alexandre Chatt » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 05:58:40

> Hi all,
>     I am new to Linux and I am running RedHat 7.3/Server. I own my own
> domain name.  I was wanting to reflect that domain name on logins ( i.e

> changed the /ext/sysconfig/network file to read HOSTNAME= "mydomain.net".
> My hosts file  now reads
> 127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain
> 192.168.1.144    "mydomain.net"

> The change at telnet login was fine.  I get the host name I want, but my
> ftp login now takes an extremely long time to connect.  When I change the
> HOSTNAME back to the default localhost.localdomain in the network file the
> ftp connection was back to normal.  How can I make this change work like
it
> is supposed to? How will this affect POP3 and SMTP domains as I plan to
run
> my own mail server in the near future?

> Thanks in advance :)
> Mark

Hello,
If you want to connect on the same machine, you need to add your domain name
to your local loop:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain mydomain.net

domain names and FTP

Post by Davi » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 01:44:18

The delay in connecting via ftp lies within a configuration directive in the
file located at /etc/X11/xinetd.d/wu_ftpd

I can't remember exactly what you need to remark out, and I think it depends
on which version of wu_ftp you're using. Look for something similar to:
log_on_success             += DURATION
and remark that out with a # mark.

Should speed log on up considerably.

>> Hi all,
>>     I am new to Linux and I am running RedHat 7.3/Server. I own my own
>> domain name.  I was wanting to reflect that domain name on logins ( i.e

>> changed the /ext/sysconfig/network file to read HOSTNAME= "mydomain.net".
>> My hosts file  now reads
>> 127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain
>> 192.168.1.144    "mydomain.net"

>> The change at telnet login was fine.  I get the host name I want, but my
>> ftp login now takes an extremely long time to connect.  When I change the
>> HOSTNAME back to the default localhost.localdomain in the network file
>> the
>> ftp connection was back to normal.  How can I make this change work like
> it
>> is supposed to? How will this affect POP3 and SMTP domains as I plan to
> run
>> my own mail server in the near future?

>> Thanks in advance :)
>> Mark

> Hello,
> If you want to connect on the same machine, you need to add your domain
> name to your local loop:
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain mydomain.net

1. how can a machine has both a real domain name and a bogus domain name?

Hello,

I have a home network with a bogus domain, like mydomain.home.
Machines in the home lan all have a home IP address like 10.5.5.*, and
a home domain name. The server's name is lion.mydomain.home, and it's
IP is 10.5.5.1. I also have a real IP address, and I am thinking to
host a real domain name. My question is, how can I setup the real
domain, so that the server can have a real domain name? Should I just
create a new zone file, and add a record for it in the named.conf?
Thanks in advance!

Alex Shi

2. How many simultaneous ftp connections ?

3. NIS domain names and DNS domain names not matching.

4. Adding hard disk

5. Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

6. symlink recursion

7. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

8. join new Linux community

9. anonymous FTP for seperate Domain Names

10. Domain Name Service- FTP

11. Can one Domain Name Server be used for 2 domains ??

12. Resolving domain.com as well as name.domain.com

13. New Domain does not accept OLD domain name mail