cvs activating server (which was installed from rpm package) - nwebie

cvs activating server (which was installed from rpm package) - nwebie

Post by Stin » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 00:02:42

Hello
I had unzipped the rpm package of CVS for RH8.0
(cvs-1.11.2-5)
Now I want to run a password based cvs server
and define what is needed for a client to use it.

Can anyone point links which explain these issues ?

regards,
sting

Post by David Levi » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:50:50

> Hello
> I had unzipped the rpm package of CVS for RH8.0
> (cvs-1.11.2-5)
> Now I want to run a password based cvs server
> and define what is needed for a client to use it.

> Can anyone point links which explain these issues ?

> regards,
> sting

Sting,

All of the documentation can be found at http://www.cvshome.org

All you should really need to do (once cvs is installed) is to make
sure that the cvspserver is set to use xinetd - I believe that the
required file is created in /etc/xinetd.d when the cvs rmp is
installed.
(Make sure the service is not set as disabled in that file!). Here is
an example:

service cvspserver
{
        port            = 2401
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        passenv         = PATH
        server          = /usr/bin/cvs
        server_args     = -f --allow-root=/opt/cvsroot pserver

Quote:}

Then create a directory where you want your cvs repository. Set up
appropriate
permissions on it, and then run :
cvs -d /path/to/repository init

Once that is done, both local and remote users (that have the
appropriate permissions) should be able to access the cvs repository.

If you are providing access to your repository via the internet - you
should look into using cvs with SSH, and make sure that your firewall
is set up correctly...

-D