call to ldconfig in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit question

call to ldconfig in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit question

Post by Withheld Upon Reque » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 11:35:32

I am running:
Linux locahost 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 12:13:11 EDT 2002 i686 athlon
i386 GNU/Linux

and was looking for how and when ldconfig gets called at boot time.
The only call I found was in
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and that script calls it as follows:
shopt -s nullglob
for library in /lib/kernel/$(uname -r)/libredhat-kernel.so* ; do
        ln -f $library /lib/
        ldconfig -n /lib/
done
shopt -u nullglob

Now my system has no directory named 2.4.18-14 (the output of uname -r
on my system) that resides in /lib/kernel.  In fact, only a directory
named "stub" resides in /lib/kernel on my system

If there were such a directory and file, what would the ln -f command
do? Some manually run experiments suggest that a copy of the file is
made into the /lib/ directory.  And then ldconfig runs with the -n
option for only /lib.  This suggests to me that having additional
directories in /etc/ld.so.conf is a waste of time with respect to
having additional libraries put into the ld.so.cache at boot time.  Is
that true?  If so, is this a bug or a feature?

Also, I am curious if it is a bug or feature that I have no directory
for the kernel version in /lib/kernel.  Any thoughts?  Or is the
rc.sysinit script out of  date relative to redhat layouts?

Thanks in advance

1. difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit ?

What is the difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit?
I am using Redhat 8. I did a diff on them and they are identical.
/etc/rc.sysinit is apparently a copy of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit since it
says that it is that file, even though it's not (see below).

#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - run once at boot time

I want to change something in whichever of these scripts is run at
bootup, but I don't know which one gets run.

Thanks,
Russell

2. Seattle - Job opening @ Archie McPhee

3. which user does /etc/rc.d/rc.local / rc.sysinit run as?

4. Removing Weird Directory

5. /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: No such file or directory

6. Are there any parallel computing databases?

7. Trouble with /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit root mount

8. crontab automatic updating ports ?? how to?

9. RH7.3: LVM & /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

10. /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq: No such file or directory

11. Who calls /etc/rc.d/rc.local

12. rc.local and rc.sysinit don't execute mount

13. /etc/rc: sendmail parms don't match /etc/rc.conf