Can't ping between Win98SE and RH7.3

Post by Michael Harnad » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:32:06

I am having a terrible problem trying to network between Win98SE and
RH 7.3, and am about to give up forever!

My setup is a HP Vectra (400Mhz) dual-boot system running Linux 7.3
and Win98SE with a NetGear NIC installed.  My other box is a Dell
Pentium (200 MHz) which can also dual-boot between RH 7.3 and Win98SE,
and which has a LinkSys NIC installed.  I changed the NIC in the HP
box because RH7.3 did not recognize it, though it recognized it fine
on the Dell!

When both systems are in Win98 mode, and the NetBeui drivers are
installed, networking is a breeze.  When both systems are running
Linux, I can also network fine.  However, I just can't seem to get a
Win98 box to "ping" a Linux box!  I have ensured that the passwords
and accounts are the same on both systems.  The /ect/hosts file on the
Linux box matches the \Windows\lmhosts file perfectly.  Both systems
have an identical workgroup name.  I made sure that NetBeui is not
installed on the Win98 box when pinging (only TCP/IP installed on both
systems).  But is just does not work.

This is my third attempt to get the system to work, having tried an
previous version of RedHat and Corel Linux.  Both failed at the
networking phase.  Unfortunately, networking is critical because my
laser printer is connect to the other Win98 box (which belongs to
someone else) and I need it to print.

Is there some information that I am missing but which should be posted
to answer this question?

Would it be of any help to try other Linux distributions?  I simply
cannot stop using Win98 because my partner is solely depended upon it.

Any help you may have come across would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Dave Robert » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 01:18:58

> When both systems are in Win98 mode, and the NetBeui drivers are
> installed, networking is a breeze.  When both systems are running
> Linux, I can also network fine.  However, I just can't seem to get a
> Win98 box to "ping" a Linux box!  I have ensured that the passwords
> and accounts are the same on both systems.  The /ect/hosts file on the
> Linux box matches the \Windows\lmhosts file perfectly.  Both systems
> have an identical workgroup name.  I made sure that NetBeui is not
> installed on the Win98 box when pinging (only TCP/IP installed on both
> systems).  But is just does not work.

You didn't say what the failure actually was ("can't ping" can actually
mean a lot of things; you'd be surprised), so I'll just give some
suggestions...

What are the ip addresses on each box, including the network mask?
(login as root and do "/sbin/ifconfig" to see everything)

Make sure that things are what you think they need to be (including the
network mask!). If the addresses aren't right then you need to
reconfigure an interface.

Can you ping your loopback interface ("ping 127.0.0.1")? If not,
something is wrong with your networking stack setup.

Can you ping the other machine by ip address rather than name? If so,
then something is wrong with your hosts file.

--  Dave

Can't ping between Win98SE and RH7.3

Post by Saurabh Manoha » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:24:00

What's you IP address and netmask for both?

Quote:> I am having a terrible problem trying to network between Win98SE and
> RH 7.3, and am about to give up forever!

> My setup is a HP Vectra (400Mhz) dual-boot system running Linux 7.3
> and Win98SE with a NetGear NIC installed.  My other box is a Dell
> Pentium (200 MHz) which can also dual-boot between RH 7.3 and Win98SE,
> and which has a LinkSys NIC installed.  I changed the NIC in the HP
> box because RH7.3 did not recognize it, though it recognized it fine
> on the Dell!

> When both systems are in Win98 mode, and the NetBeui drivers are
> installed, networking is a breeze.  When both systems are running
> Linux, I can also network fine.  However, I just can't seem to get a
> Win98 box to "ping" a Linux box!  I have ensured that the passwords
> and accounts are the same on both systems.  The /ect/hosts file on the
> Linux box matches the \Windows\lmhosts file perfectly.  Both systems
> have an identical workgroup name.  I made sure that NetBeui is not
> installed on the Win98 box when pinging (only TCP/IP installed on both
> systems).  But is just does not work.

> This is my third attempt to get the system to work, having tried an
> previous version of RedHat and Corel Linux.  Both failed at the
> networking phase.  Unfortunately, networking is critical because my
> laser printer is connect to the other Win98 box (which belongs to
> someone else) and I need it to print.

> Is there some information that I am missing but which should be posted
> to answer this question?

> Would it be of any help to try other Linux distributions?  I simply
> cannot stop using Win98 because my partner is solely depended upon it.

> Any help you may have come across would be greatly appreciated.

Can't ping between Win98SE and RH7.3

Post by Jon Mayna » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:40:22

On the windows side click start then run. Type in "winipcfg" this
should give you the ip info on the Win98 machine. With what the above
people have said you should have the Linux ip info. Compare the ip
info. Are they on the same subnet?
If they are then try pinging by ip address and see if you get any