Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by Robin Summerhi » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:30:17



Hi,

I've trying to install RedHat 7.3 with home-burnt CDs. They all pass
the mediatest but during installation it complains that Disk 2 'is not
the correct Red Hat CDROM'.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks,
Robin Summerhill

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by James Knot » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 08:22:14



> Hi,

> I've trying to install RedHat 7.3 with home-burnt CDs. They all pass
> the mediatest but during installation it complains that Disk 2 'is not
> the correct Red Hat CDROM'.

> Does anyone have any info on this?

Any chance you might have burned the wrong ISO file?

If you look in the TRANS.TBL file on the CD, you should see what disk you
actually burned.  Look for the item ".disc2-i386".

--

All the facts above are true, except for the ones I made up.


james.knott.

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by Bit Twist » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 09:10:32



Quote:> Hi,

> I've trying to install RedHat 7.3 with home-burnt CDs. They all pass
> the mediatest but during installation it complains that Disk 2 'is not
> the correct Red Hat CDROM'.

> Does anyone have any info on this?

Always compare the md5sum on a iso download with the site's copy
before burning to verify you had a good download.  There should have
been a md5sum file in the same directory as the iso.

md5sum iso_name_here

compare the output of md5sum with the content's of the
md5sum file.

Micor$oft users could look here
http://www.cygwin.com or
http://etree.org/md5com.html or
http://www.google.com/search?q=md5sum%20dos

Lots of people do not pick the correct options on their burning
software and end up with an image file on the cd instead of the cd
being an image of the file on the harddrive.  

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

When you look on the burnt cd, the first thing you should see are
the directories and files.
Mandrake example: names with / on the end are directories

autorun.inf  dosutils/    INSTALL.txt       Mandrake/     tutorial/
Boot/        images/      LICENSE-APPS.txt  misc/         VERSION
COPYING      index.htm    LICENSE.txt       README.txt
doc/         install.htm  live_update*      RPM-GPG-KEYS

http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart
under CheapBytes CDs (top left)
contains linux x86 Install cds for ~2 each and up + shipping

For people accross the pond,  http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk
and for down under fokes
        http://www.cetustech.com.au/

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by Robin Summerhi » Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:17:35




> > Hi,

> > I've trying to install RedHat 7.3 with home-burnt CDs. They all pass
> > the mediatest but during installation it complains that Disk 2 'is not
> > the correct Red Hat CDROM'.

> > Does anyone have any info on this?

> Always compare the md5sum on a iso download with the site's copy
> before burning to verify you had a good download.  There should have
> been a md5sum file in the same directory as the iso.

> md5sum iso_name_here

> compare the output of md5sum with the content's of the
> md5sum file.

> Micor$oft users could look here
> http://www.cygwin.com or
> http://etree.org/md5com.html or
> http://www.google.com/search?q=md5sum%20dos

> Lots of people do not pick the correct options on their burning
> software and end up with an image file on the cd instead of the cd
> being an image of the file on the harddrive.  

> http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

> When you look on the burnt cd, the first thing you should see are
> the directories and files.
> Mandrake example: names with / on the end are directories

> autorun.inf  dosutils/    INSTALL.txt       Mandrake/     tutorial/
> Boot/        images/      LICENSE-APPS.txt  misc/         VERSION
> COPYING      index.htm    LICENSE.txt       README.txt
> doc/         install.htm  live_update*      RPM-GPG-KEYS

> http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart
> under CheapBytes CDs (top left)
> contains linux x86 Install cds for ~2 each and up + shipping

> For people accross the pond,  http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk
> and for down under fokes
>         http://www.cetustech.com.au/

The MD5 checksum is ok (422948492b984060b21923d11febb422
valhalla-i386-disc2.iso) and the 'linux mediacheck' run from the
installation recognized it correctly as Disk 2 and said that it was
ok. It's just the install process that won't recogize it. What is it
looking for if the other two checks work out ok? It just doesn't make
sense.

Robin Summerhill

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by ma701a » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:22:44


Try looking at the name of the cd's! I also have this problem, and I
think it is because the disks have more characters than allowed in the
iso convention. e.g. "redhat linux 7.3 i386 -valhalla diskX" gets
shortened to "redhat linux 7.3 i3" for all three disks. I have
windows2000 and nero5.5 and have no idea how to relax the burning
parameters. Any ideas Anyone?
ma701apm
 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by James Knot » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 05:52:11



> Try looking at the name of the cd's! I also have this problem, and I
> think it is because the disks have more characters than allowed in the
> iso convention. e.g. "redhat linux 7.3 i386 -valhalla diskX" gets
> shortened to "redhat linux 7.3 i3" for all three disks. I have
> windows2000 and nero5.5 and have no idea how to relax the burning
> parameters. Any ideas Anyone?
> ma701apm

I have burned many Linux CDs on a Windows box.  Other than the occasional
coaster, never had a problem.
--

All the facts above are true, except for the ones I made up.


james.knott.

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by An » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:13:08




> > Try looking at the name of the cd's! I also have this problem, and I
> > think it is because the disks have more characters than allowed in the
> > iso convention. e.g. "redhat linux 7.3 i386 -valhalla diskX" gets
> > shortened to "redhat linux 7.3 i3" for all three disks. I have
> > windows2000 and nero5.5 and have no idea how to relax the burning
> > parameters. Any ideas Anyone?
> > ma701apm

> I have burned many Linux CDs on a Windows box.  Other than the occasional
> coaster, never had a problem.

I just recently burned 6 coasters before finally getting in right with
the linux iso files.  I followed the reccomendations from the google
news groups and tried to use Nero to no avial, because EasyCD Creator
was criticised.  Finally in frustration I used EasyCD to create copy
the images and on the first try successfully copied all 3 Redhat CD's
using Roxio EasyCD creator 5.  I also experienced a problem with the
install boot diskette which had me stumped for 2 weeks, and always
yielded a CRC system halt error.  I made another boot disk on the
machine I was installing Linux on and it worked perfectly.  Go figure!
 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by Tomm » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:15:06



> Hi,

> I've trying to install RedHat 7.3 with home-burnt CDs. They all pass
> the mediatest but during installation it complains that Disk 2 'is not
> the correct Red Hat CDROM'.

> Does anyone have any info on this?

> Thanks,
> Robin Summerhill


The exact same thing is happening to me, to the letter!  Mediacheck works,
md5sum checks out, and the same error keeps happening OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

Finally I stripped down the packages installed to the BARE minimum possible by
manually unchecking everything when using the "select packages individually"
option (I think that's the right wording).  When prompted that there are
dependencies, I went back and made sure I'd unchecked everything.  When I had
successfully unchecked absolutely everything and attempted the install, the
second CD was not asked for by the installation app.  Install succeeded, linux
suck-weeded.  I still can't figure what the heck is going on.  What a pain in
the a$$paragus.

Just in case some genius wonder boy out there actually can help us out by
identifying some kind of issue related to some common OS idiosyncracy, here's
the low down on my win98 machine with cygwin installed, and from which I burned
the cds with Easy CD Creator intending to create a dual-boot installation of
Valhalla and win98.

Take a look at <http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/valhalla/disk2/>
The directory contains:
    drwatson-June-25-2002-8.59.28-PM.wlg
    sysinfo-June-25-2002-8.59.28-PM.TXT

--

    -Tommy Butler
     http://atrixnet.com

I'm looking for work!
     contract or perm, full or part time
     Download my rsum http://www.atrixnet.com/resume

the ooOPps Code Library
     http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/pub/

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by Tomm » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:55:07



>   Sorry, but I'd venture to say that none here have any desire to
> examine your doctor watthefuk files.

Well that won't hurt my feelings ;O)

Quote:>   Probably an anaconda error.  Many go unreported.

Man, that sucks for me.

Quote:>   I have one when I use a high res install (1280 x 1024 VESA)
> just as it goes to do the install, tight after every selection and
> set-up is made.  Very annoying. I use Expert mode, and Text mode as a
> result.

Yup, I've been planning on trying expert or text mode next.  I've done it enough
before.  I was hoping, "maybe I can use the graphical installer this time!"

--

    -Tommy Butler
     http://atrixnet.com

I'm looking for work!
     contract or perm, full or part time
     Download my rsum http://www.atrixnet.com/resume

the ooOPps Code Library
     http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/pub/

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by Dany Zu » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:09:36





> > > Hi,

> > > I've trying to install RedHat 7.3 with home-burnt CDs. They all pass
> > > the mediatest but during installation it complains that Disk 2 'is not
> > > the correct Red Hat CDROM'.

> > > Does anyone have any info on this?

> > Always compare the md5sum on a iso download with the site's copy
> > before burning to verify you had a good download.  There should have
> > been a md5sum file in the same directory as the iso.

> > md5sum iso_name_here

> > compare the output of md5sum with the content's of the
> > md5sum file.

> > Micor$oft users could look here
> > http://www.cygwin.com or
> > http://etree.org/md5com.html or
> > http://www.google.com/search?q=md5sum%20dos

> > Lots of people do not pick the correct options on their burning
> > software and end up with an image file on the cd instead of the cd
> > being an image of the file on the harddrive.  

> > http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

> > When you look on the burnt cd, the first thing you should see are
> > the directories and files.
> > Mandrake example: names with / on the end are directories

> > autorun.inf  dosutils/    INSTALL.txt       Mandrake/     tutorial/
> > Boot/        images/      LICENSE-APPS.txt  misc/         VERSION
> > COPYING      index.htm    LICENSE.txt       README.txt
> > doc/         install.htm  live_update*      RPM-GPG-KEYS

> > http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart
> > under CheapBytes CDs (top left)
> > contains linux x86 Install cds for ~2 each and up + shipping

> > For people accross the pond,  http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk
> > and for down under fokes
> >         http://www.cetustech.com.au/

> The MD5 checksum is ok (422948492b984060b21923d11febb422
> valhalla-i386-disc2.iso) and the 'linux mediacheck' run from the
> installation recognized it correctly as Disk 2 and said that it was
> ok. It's just the install process that won't recogize it. What is it
> looking for if the other two checks work out ok? It just doesn't make
> sense.

> Robin Summerhill


I do have also the same problem. MD5 is ok, linux mediacheck recognise
the CD as Valhalla disk 2. It's simply the install process that won't
recognize it. Never had this kind of probleme before ... Downloaded
the iso from rpmfind.net.
Disk one loaded perfect and initiated the install procedures smoothly.
Any advice would be most welcome.

Rgds
Dany

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by Tod » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 22:18:54


I've been having similar issues

Check out this page. It seems to deal with the issue in some detail.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/rhjol/rhjol-cd.html

Hope it helps,
Todd



> > Hi,

> > I've trying to install RedHat 7.3 with home-burnt CDs. They all pass
> > the mediatest but during installation it complains that Disk 2 'is not
> > the correct Red Hat CDROM'.

> > Does anyone have any info on this?

> > Thanks,
> > Robin Summerhill

> The exact same thing is happening to me, to the letter!  Mediacheck works,
> md5sum checks out, and the same error keeps happening OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

> Finally I stripped down the packages installed to the BARE minimum possible by
> manually unchecking everything when using the "select packages individually"
> option (I think that's the right wording).  When prompted that there are
> dependencies, I went back and made sure I'd unchecked everything.  When I had
> successfully unchecked absolutely everything and attempted the install, the
> second CD was not asked for by the installation app.  Install succeeded, linux
> suck-weeded.  I still can't figure what the heck is going on.  What a pain in
> the a$$paragus.

> Just in case some genius wonder boy out there actually can help us out by
> identifying some kind of issue related to some common OS idiosyncracy, here's
> the low down on my win98 machine with cygwin installed, and from which I burned
> the cds with Easy CD Creator intending to create a dual-boot installation of
> Valhalla and win98.

> Take a look at <http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/valhalla/disk2/>
> The directory contains:
>     drwatson-June-25-2002-8.59.28-PM.wlg
>     sysinfo-June-25-2002-8.59.28-PM.TXT

> --

>     -Tommy Butler
>      http://atrixnet.com

> I'm looking for work!
>      contract or perm, full or part time
>      Download my rsum http://www.atrixnet.com/resume

> the ooOPps Code Library
>      http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/pub/

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by Tomm » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 04:29:21



> I've been having similar issues

> Check out this page. It seems to deal with the issue in some detail.
> http://www.rodsbooks.com/rhjol/rhjol-cd.html

> Hope it helps,
> Todd

Wow, thanks Todd.  I'll have a look.

--

    -Tommy Butler
     http://atrixnet.com

I'm looking for work!
     contract or perm, full or part time
     Download my rsum http://www.atrixnet.com/resume

the ooOPps Code Library
     http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/pub/

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by Tomm » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 04:48:49




>> I've been having similar issues

>> Check out this page. It seems to deal with the issue in some detail.
>> http://www.rodsbooks.com/rhjol/rhjol-cd.html

>> Hope it helps,
>> Todd

> Wow, thanks Todd.  I'll have a look.

Well, that didn't really help me out other than educating me about issues I'd
not known before-- but don't apply to our common plight.

The paper discusses the correct way to create .iso files which may be burned
onto CDs.  Well, we already have the correct .iso files which were downloaded
straight from the (well as for me at least) redhat ftp site or one of its
official mirrors (uselinux.org)

This seems to me that, in addition to the md5sums being correct, the errors and
pitfalls debunked in the paper would unfortunately not have bearing upon the
situation we face.

Thanks for the tip!

--

    -Tommy Butler
     http://atrixnet.com

I'm looking for work!
     contract or perm, full or part time
     Download my rsum http://www.atrixnet.com/resume

the ooOPps Code Library
     http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/pub/

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by Tomm » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:24:57



> Hi,

> I've trying to install RedHat 7.3 with home-burnt CDs. They all pass
> the mediatest but during installation it complains that Disk 2 'is not
> the correct Red Hat CDROM'.

> Does anyone have any info on this?

> Thanks,
> Robin Summerhill


Has anyone made any headway with this issue?  I'd like to get RH 7.3 installed
soon!  Thanks to anyone who might help shed some light on this...

--

    -Tommy Butler
     http://atrixnet.com

I'm looking for work!
     contract or perm, full or part time
     Download my rsum http://www.atrixnet.com/resume

the ooOPps Code Library
     http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/pub/

 
 
 

Redhat 7.3 CD Installation - Disk 2 not recognized

Post by Andrew » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 09:11:42


Hi Tommy,

I am a real newbie, but I had a similar problem with CD3. The thing is that
there are 2 different sets of redhat 7.3 CD images (both called Valhalla).
Make sure you download all 3 from the same source. I downloaded from
www.linuxiso.org. This is a good site, but each time you click to download,
it is a crapshoot as to which mirror site you will get the file from. And
some mirror sites haven't updated (hence my problem).

Well, another 450 MB download and I was good to go.

-Andrew



>> Hi,

>> I've trying to install RedHat 7.3 with home-burnt CDs. They all pass
>> the mediatest but during installation it complains that Disk 2 'is not
>> the correct Red Hat CDROM'.

>> Does anyone have any info on this?

>> Thanks,
>> Robin Summerhill

> Has anyone made any headway with this issue?  I'd like to get RH 7.3
> installed
> soon!  Thanks to anyone who might help shed some light on this...

 
 
 

1. Intel 82845G/GL graphics controller not recognized by RedHat 7.3 Help!

I loaded Red Hat 7.3 and used the Vesa driver and now when I boot I
get a blinking black screen. I am trying to load this on a new Compaq
D51C EVO computer. I noticed that the video card and driver are not
there nor is the sound nor is the network adapter. I am a novice to
Linus so please be gentle.

2. Linux networking problem

3. Modem not Recognised by KPPP in Redhat Linux 7.3.

4. Problems w/ upload

5. Modem Not Recognized - RedHat 7.3

6. Comment

7. Redhat 7.3 installation problems - freezes after copying install image to disk

8. Lost sound

9. Booting Redhat linux 7.3 with Installation CD-ROM help

10. Redhat 7.3 Disc 3 install error - cdrom could not (or can't) be mounted

11. Modem isn't recognized in Redhat 7.3

12. Red Hat 7.3 boot After Installation; GRUB Hard Disk Error Message