Un Install Redhat 7.2 and back to Windows Install ?????

Un Install Redhat 7.2 and back to Windows Install ?????

Post by speed » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 21:38:56

I deleted the partitions in the Redhat instalation then I selected /dev/hda
or something
and wanted to delete it to but it did not work when I selected it and did
Edit
I get a menu and changed somethig there with dos compatible.
after that I rebooted and Now I could restart with a Normal Boot disk
(windows 98)
But when I did Fdisk I only had 500 MB space and could NOT see a partition
or something from Redhat :o(
And My harddisk is 8 Gig.

Is It that Dificult to delete Redhad from my Harddisk ????
There must be a way to Deinstal it or not ???

Please Help

Quote:

> I have installed Redhat7.2, the first time I installed it all was fine but
> when I installed it the secont time (forgot something with the first
> instalation) my PC dit not boot up.
> I have No bootdisket couse When I choose to make one I had an error.

> I tryed it with a Windows 98se boot diskette to get to FDISK but when my
PC
> is reading a little from it it stops booting to :o(
> I only can get in the BIOS but after that The PC stops.

> When I boot with the Redhat cdrom I can choos for Rescue when I do thisit
> says:
>  If you would like to make your system the Root environment run the
command
> CHROOT /MNT/SYSIMAGE

> When I do this I get an prompt, But I don't know what to do next.

> I hope some body knows what to do or How to Delete all with fdisk

> Thanks in advance

Un Install Redhat 7.2 and back to Windows Install ?????

Post by Kim » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 00:20:54

I'll refrain from asking why you want to go back to windows, but anyway...

The DOS fdisk program is kinda braindead when it comes to non-windows
partitions. A good trick for deleting Linux and other partitions is to put
the Redhat install CD in and start a new install. Choose to partition your
disk(s) manually. Use the fdisk tool to select and remove all the
partitions on the drive. Make sure to commit your changes and then just
abort the install. You now have a nice clean disk to use your windows
install tools (like fdisk) on.

Kim (The Linux House Wife)

PS: Sorry to hear your Linux experience wasn't your cup of tea. Maybe next
time.

> I deleted the partitions in the Redhat instalation then I selected
> /dev/hda or something
> and wanted to delete it to but it did not work when I selected it and did
> Edit
> I get a menu and changed somethig there with dos compatible.
> after that I rebooted and Now I could restart with a Normal Boot disk
> (windows 98)
> But when I did Fdisk I only had 500 MB space and could NOT see a partition
> or something from Redhat :o(
> And My harddisk is 8 Gig.

> Is It that Dificult to delete Redhad from my Harddisk ????
> There must be a way to Deinstal it or not ???

> Please Help

>> I have installed Redhat7.2, the first time I installed it all was fine
>> but when I installed it the secont time (forgot something with the first
>> instalation) my PC dit not boot up.
>> I have No bootdisket couse When I choose to make one I had an error.

>> I tryed it with a Windows 98se boot diskette to get to FDISK but when my
> PC
>> is reading a little from it it stops booting to :o(
>> I only can get in the BIOS but after that The PC stops.

>> When I boot with the Redhat cdrom I can choos for Rescue when I do thisit
>> says:
>>  If you would like to make your system the Root environment run the
> command
>> CHROOT /MNT/SYSIMAGE

>> When I do this I get an prompt, But I don't know what to do next.

>> I hope some body knows what to do or How to Delete all with fdisk

>> Thanks in advance

Un Install Redhat 7.2 and back to Windows Install ?????

Post by speed » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 02:51:48

Hi Kim,

Thank you but I don't want to go back to Windows only
I want Windows on Partition 1 and Linux on partition 2  :o)

Please read this this is the problem I think but I don't know the solucion
for it.

Hi,

I had Redhat 7.2 installed in my PC and than the Cylinder size of my
Harddisk changed and I could not use Fdisk in DOS anymore to make and delete
Partitions.

I want to do that couse I want to instal Windows 98 on the first Partition
and Linux Redhat on the second.

Somebody know how to change the Cylinder size ?
In the BIOS I tryed to change the setting of the harddisk to LBA or an other
option
but it seems that he stil stay on 16383 or 8155

Now at the moment I installed WinNT4 couse I could Not boot anymore and with
the Winnt4 cd I could do it and I deleted al partitions of Linux with the
Instalation and made new partitions.
But DOS stil can't see the partitions and I can Not Use FDisk
When I Try to use FDisk he see NO partitions only the C with NT on it.
When I make a FAT partition with Partition Magic DOS stil don't see it.

Please Help What can I do ??

Post by James Richard Tyre » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:57:13

> Hi Kim,

> Thank you but I don't want to go back to Windows only
> I want Windows on Partition 1 and Linux on partition 2  :o)

> Please read this this is the problem I think but I don't know the solucion
> for it.

> Hi,

> I had Redhat 7.2 installed in my PC and than the Cylinder size of my
> Harddisk changed and I could not use Fdisk in DOS anymore to make and delete
> Partitions.

The disk geometry is written somewhere on the disk.  The linux: "fdisk"
program can set this, it is one of the options under "advanced".

JRT

1. install problems, redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.2 on PC-104+ single board computer

Hi all,

This is my first venture into trying to create a (pseudo) embedded
system, so please pardon the naivete.

I am trying to install redhat 7.2 on a Tiny886ULP-X from Advanced Micro
Peripherals (UK).  This is a PC-104+ single board computer with a 666mhz
transmeta, 256mb ram, video, ethernet, a 132mb compactflash on the IDE
as the primary master (looks like a disk), and an ATAPI compatible CDROM.

So, I boot off the CD, and .....

The symptom is that the CD boots fine, but cannot proceed past keyboard
selection. I select English as the language, US as the keyboard, and
then it goes to look for the install files on the CD, and asks me where
to find the installation files, giving me the hard drive as the only
option to install from.

Redhat 6.2 boots and installs fine, with the exception that I can't get
it to install with under 132mb of flashdisk space.  However, it does
find the files on the CD,(it does not prompt for me to show it where the
files are on the hard drive) and allows me to reformat/repartition the
flash-disk and select install packages before it tells me there's not
enough diskspace. So, if I did have enough space on the flash (which I
will soon) I could install 6.2 just fine.

I have been suspecting that the 7.2 boot kernel is trying to do
something fancy with DMA/UDMA on the CDROM, so I have tried booting by
passing the flag "linux ide=nodma" to the boot kernel. This yielded
exactly the same results.

I'd like to get 7.2 up because of the 1394 support in their standard kernel.

Thanks,

Dan

2. redistributing comp.unix.aix via e-mail

3. RedHat 7.2 install: MSS set to 40

4. problem with mysql, php and apache in solaris8

5. RedHat 7.2, installing RPMs

6. xpilot 3.0 binaries available

7. Just Installed Redhat 7.2...

8. change mail settings

9. Install scanner on RedHat 7.2

10. Install Linux Redhat 7.2 with 3 NIC

11. PHP4 not working on new RedHat 7.2 install

12. PROBLEM: RedHat 7.2 Stock SMP Install

13. How to install KDE 3.1.2 on RedHat 7.2?