***FREE BEER AND WOMEN***and lilo.conf

Post by Adrian Gawe » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 10:48:18

just missed the women and beer.....

this is the situation.....

2 hard drives and 3 os

hda  win2k and lilo(installed on mbr)      [primary]
hdb linux RH7 sharing with Windows Me [secondary]

If I set bios to boot from primary hd I get to lilo and can pick between
win2k and linux

If I set bios to boot from secondary hd I boot streight to winme.

I would like to boot to Winme from lilo

THis is what I added following the format for win2k

other=/dev/hdb1
    label=WinMe

I also tried /dev/hdb2 and /hdb3

Needless to say it doesn't work.  What am I forgetting?

Thanks
Adrian

***FREE BEER AND WOMEN***and lilo.conf

Post by Sipe » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:16:42

Lilo doesn't go on the MBR with Win2k.  You should use the Win2k loader to
get to lilo.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm.

that program will help you setup win2k.  Lilo should be on the first
partition of the linux drive.

--

Micah

Quote:> just missed the women and beer.....

Post by Mark Richard » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 05:37:45

> just missed the women and beer.....

> this is the situation.....

> 2 hard drives and 3 os

> hda  win2k and lilo(installed on mbr)      [primary]
> hdb linux RH7 sharing with Windows Me [secondary]

> If I set bios to boot from primary hd I get to lilo and can pick between
> win2k and linux

> If I set bios to boot from secondary hd I boot streight to winme.

> I would like to boot to Winme from lilo

> THis is what I added following the format for win2k

> other=/dev/hdb1
>     label=WinMe

> I also tried /dev/hdb2 and /hdb3

> Needless to say it doesn't work.  What am I forgetting?

> Thanks
> Adrian

I don't think Windows ME can boot from the secondary hard drive; at least, win
95 and 98 can't.  It has to be the first FAT (or FAT32) partition on the first
hard drive in the system.  When your bios changes the drives around, windows can
boot, but with Lilo, the drives are not changed around so windows won't work.

Mark

***FREE BEER AND WOMEN***and lilo.conf

Post by Mike Golde » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 06:58:27

Simple stuff first... Did you remember to run lilo after changing the
lilo.conf?  Is there anyone that hasn't gotten bit by this at least
once? :-)

--
What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog,