samba help RH 8 & XP

Post by Kaylapupp » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:03:17

I am new to linux and have just got RH 8 up and running. I am trying to get
file sharing working between my linux machine and my xp machine. So far I
have got it to the point where the Linux machine shows up in my network
places, but I am unable to browse the share.

I can browse the share locally using the format

and I can also connect from the command line using
smbclient //hostname/sharename -U username

In my smb.conf:
I have set the workgroup properly.
I have also allowed connections from the IP address of my XP machine
192.x.x.x.

Here is what the share section looks like

[myshare]
comment = My Shared Files
path = /home/kayla/share/
valid users = kayla
public = no
writable = yes
printable = no
create mask = 0765

These instructions taken from
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/...
a-configuring.html

Any help on what I am missing would be great.

Regards,
KP

samba help RH 8 & XP

Post by Kaylapupp » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:39:47

Lowered the security on the firewall, and now it works fine. This also fixed
my inability to telnet into the machine.

> I am new to linux and have just got RH 8 up and running. I am trying to
get
> file sharing working between my linux machine and my xp machine. So far I
> have got it to the point where the Linux machine shows up in my network
> places, but I am unable to browse the share.

> I can browse the share locally using the format

> and I can also connect from the command line using
> smbclient //hostname/sharename -U username

> In my smb.conf:
> I have set the workgroup properly.
> I have also allowed connections from the IP address of my XP machine
> 192.x.x.x.

> Here is what the share section looks like

> [myshare]
> comment = My Shared Files
> path = /home/kayla/share/
> valid users = kayla
> public = no
> writable = yes
> printable = no
> create mask = 0765

> These instructions taken from

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/...

Quote:> a-configuring.html

> Any help on what I am missing would be great.

> Regards,
> KP

samba help RH 8 & XP

Post by Steve Marti » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:46:44

> Lowered the security on the firewall, and now it works fine. This also fixed
> my inability to telnet into the machine.

Is your machine on a publicly-visible network (such as the Internet)?
If so, take my advice and turn Telnet back off, and use ssh instead.
Passwords in the telnet protocol are sent over the network in the clear,
and can easily be picked up by a packet sniffer. We got hacked that way,
and I made our Web guy turn off telnet on our in-house Web servers (he
was using it to get into the machines from his desktop PC, which was
all of ten feet away!).

--
Steve Martin, CPBE CBNT

samba help RH 8 & XP

Post by Kaylapupp » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:32:45

I am doing this across a lan behind my router. So I am telneting from my XP
machine downstairs with a 192.x.x.x ip to my linux box upstairs also with a
192.x.x.x IP. I assume that this is safe. I do however have public cable
internet access as well to both of these machines. The Linksys router
retrieves it's ip via DHCP from my server, and then each PC on my network is
assigned a static internal address. Do I still need to worry that maybe the
info is getting out on the public network?
Thanks for the advice.

KP

> > Lowered the security on the firewall, and now it works fine. This also
fixed
> > my inability to telnet into the machine.

> Is your machine on a publicly-visible network (such as the Internet)?
> If so, take my advice and turn Telnet back off, and use ssh instead.
> Passwords in the telnet protocol are sent over the network in the clear,
> and can easily be picked up by a packet sniffer. We got hacked that way,
> and I made our Web guy turn off telnet on our in-house Web servers (he
> was using it to get into the machines from his desktop PC, which was
> all of ten feet away!).

> --
> Steve Martin, CPBE CBNT

samba help RH 8 & XP

Post by Steve Marti » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:35:29

> I am doing this across a lan behind my router. So I am telneting from my XP
> machine downstairs with a 192.x.x.x ip to my linux box upstairs also with a
> 192.x.x.x IP. I assume that this is safe. I do however have public cable
> internet access as well to both of these machines. The Linksys router
> retrieves it's ip via DHCP from my server, and then each PC on my network is
> assigned a static internal address. Do I still need to worry that maybe the
> info is getting out on the public network?

Sounds like you might be safe... If your router is configured properly,
then none of the packets destined for the 192.x.x.x network should be
showing up on the Outside World, as the router is not supposed to route
them to the public network.

In my case, the guy was doing this over a small piece of our LAN that
was visible on the public side of the firewall, which is a No-No.

--
Steve Martin, CPBE CBNT

1. Windows XP and Samba - whats the maximum size of a XP Share folder?

Hi!

I got windows XP and Mandrake linux networked with each other.
Lately, I came upon an odd problem.  I save all my downloaded proggys
,music etc in one big folder. It gotten to be 5 gig in size. Lately I
have not been able to write any data to this windows xp share folder
from my linux box. I can read and WRITE /MAKE " NEW FOLDERS ONLY" but
samba refuses to transfer any size file and comes back with a "
insufficient disk space problem " .  Since the share folder is in the
XP machine, and I never had any problems at all before xfering files I
came to the conclusion that it must be either a bug in samba? maybe ?
or a XP share restriction issue.  I checked the share folder
attributes , user, rights etc and all checks well.

I then decided to make a whole new folder and have the same folder
attributes as the one described above. I then tried and sucesfully
transfered a file from linux to windows.  So, according to what I have
seen and learned so far, it seems like windows has a maximum folder
size limit ??? if so, how can you disable it?

Any ideas guys?

TIA!

2. APACHE UserDir Help

3. RH9 and XP - Can't access RH frm XP Network Neighborhood

4. Broadlogic

5. Samba & Win XP

6. Problem with mgetty in direct mode

7. Really strange problem with XP & SAMBA

8. Help! Multiple reboots on install

9. Win XP & machine acoount in Samba

10. XP & Samba

11. samba & xp