Change boot default option

Post by Michael Moss » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:17:44

I installed Red Hat 9.0 together with Win XP as
a dual-boot system, with GRUB as the boot loader.
Initially I set up Linux as the default boot
option (what it boots to automatically if you don't
select either Win or Linux) but I want to change
that to Windows.  How do I do that?

Regards,
Mike

Change boot default option

Post by Bit Twiste » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:22:53

Quote:> I installed Red Hat 9.0 together with Win XP as
> a dual-boot system, with GRUB as the boot loader.
> Initially I set up Linux as the default boot
> option (what it boots to automatically if you don't
> select either Win or Linux) but I want to change
> that to Windows.  How do I do that?

You realy need to do a
        man grub

----------------------- for grub -----------------------
edit /boot/grub/grub.conf
change      default 0
to          default x

where x is the number of "title"s - 1 for the system you want as default.

Example:
title linux
title failsafe
title windows
title floppy

If windows is the the third title, set default 2

Next boot should boot windows.

1. Changed Lilo boot options, now Win98 won't boot

I tried to edit Lilo options from
Linxconf.  I was booting Linux strictly from a boot disk,
and wanted to be able to boot without a disk from the Lilo
prompt, with Win98 being the default.  After setting this up
(I thought) on Linxconf, I am unable to boot Win 98, while
Linux works fine.  Within Linux, I cannot mount my C: drive
either, which I could do before.  I get the message "wrong fs type, bad
option,
bad superblock on /dev/hda1 (which is my C: drive).  I cannot
boot Windows from a startup disk, either.  At a DOS prompt,
I can see C: and it's contents, however.  I must have hosed some
boot record, or something.  I'm lost.  TIA.

2. any good way to replace an option?

3. Boot Manager diddler to change 'default' boot ?

4. Tru64 UNIX FAQ

5. How can change the Solaris primary boot subsystem to boot Windows xp default?

6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

7. Changing Default Printing Options

8. HP LaserJet 4M on RedHat 5.1

9. How to set DOS as the default boot option?

10. Changing boot options on x86

11. Changing LILO to boot to Win95 as default

12. Changing default boot OS on Win98/Solaris 8 machine

13. Changing the default boot up resolution for Sun Enterprise 250 fr om 1152x900