NFS server not responding

Post by Brian » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 00:21:08

I have a RedHat 8.0 box functioning as an NFS server. It holds a small AIX
database, some TIF image files, and some webpages. Every 3 or 4 days it
seems to lock up. By that, I mean I can't access it via NFS, and none of the
network services seem to respond (i.e. sshd). It does respond to a ping,
however.  If I go to the console and reboot it, everything is fine again,
for a couple of days (which is a pain, because it's in a different
building.) It doesn't seem to happen at a particular interval, or at a
particular time, but it's about every 3 or 4 days. I have no idea what's
happening. Has anyone seen anything similar before, or have any ideas where
I might look for clues?

Thanks,
Brian

NFS server not responding

Post by Anil Kommaredd » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 01:15:53

> I have a RedHat 8.0 box functioning as an NFS server. It holds a small AIX
> database, some TIF image files, and some webpages. Every 3 or 4 days it
> seems to lock up. By that, I mean I can't access it via NFS, and none of
> the network services seem to respond (i.e. sshd). It does respond to a
> ping,
> however.  If I go to the console and reboot it, everything is fine again,
> for a couple of days (which is a pain, because it's in a different
> building.) It doesn't seem to happen at a particular interval, or at a
> particular time, but it's about every 3 or 4 days. I have no idea what's
> happening. Has anyone seen anything similar before, or have any ideas
> where I might look for clues?

> Thanks,
> Brian

probably you may be having problems with your portmapper, next time when it
happens just restart the portmapper, and see what happens.

Anil

NFS server not responding

Post by Damian Mensche » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 06:16:18

> I have a RedHat 8.0 box functioning as an NFS server. It holds a small AIX
> database, some TIF image files, and some webpages. Every 3 or 4 days it
> seems to lock up. By that, I mean I can't access it via NFS, and none of the
> network services seem to respond (i.e. sshd). It does respond to a ping,
> however.  If I go to the console and reboot it, everything is fine again,
> for a couple of days (which is a pain, because it's in a different
> building.) It doesn't seem to happen at a particular interval, or at a
> particular time, but it's about every 3 or 4 days. I have no idea what's
> happening. Has anyone seen anything similar before, or have any ideas where
> I might look for clues?

Random thought, but you wouldn't happen to be running the nVidia
graphics drivers, would you?  I've had similar problems (hangs) on
some RH8 machines, and typically can't even ping them.

As for the other poster's comment about portmapper: obviously wrong
since sshd doesn't go through portmap.

Please follow up if you figure this out.  (My machines are also in
another building....)

Damian Menscher
--

-=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc:(217)333-0038 |#=-
-=#| 4602 Beckman, VMIL/MS, Imaging Technology Group:(217)244-3074 |#=-

NFS server not responding

Post by Doug Summer » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 08:05:00

> > I have a RedHat 8.0 box functioning as an NFS server. It holds a small
AIX
> > database, some TIF image files, and some webpages. Every 3 or 4 days it
> > seems to lock up. By that, I mean I can't access it via NFS, and none of
the
> > network services seem to respond (i.e. sshd). It does respond to a ping,
> > however.  If I go to the console and reboot it, everything is fine
again,
> > for a couple of days (which is a pain, because it's in a different
> > building.) It doesn't seem to happen at a particular interval, or at a
> > particular time, but it's about every 3 or 4 days. I have no idea what's
> > happening. Has anyone seen anything similar before, or have any ideas
where
> > I might look for clues?

> Random thought, but you wouldn't happen to be running the nVidia
> graphics drivers, would you?  I've had similar problems (hangs) on
> some RH8 machines, and typically can't even ping them.

> As for the other poster's comment about portmapper: obviously wrong
> since sshd doesn't go through portmap.

> Please follow up if you figure this out.  (My machines are also in
> another building....)

> Damian Menscher

This sounds way too familiar. I have 3 RH8 machines at work, one with an old
Diamond card and the other 2 with NVIDIA cards (built-in IBM Intellistation
cards). The IBM machines will act very well then start dropping connections
(ssh mainly) and/or tcp/ip-related services (like TSM server). It usually
doesn't get as bad as not being able to ping the machine but I can't do
anything else.

NFS server not responding

Post by Brian » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 23:25:59

Hmm, may that's it. I do have an Nvidia TNT 2 PCI video card. Anyone know if
there's a patch for it? I guess I can replace the video card, but that means
driving 40 miles (oh well). Thanks for the responses, since I probably would
have never in a million years suspected the vide card.

Brian

> > > I have a RedHat 8.0 box functioning as an NFS server. It holds a small
> AIX
> > > database, some TIF image files, and some webpages. Every 3 or 4 days
it
> > > seems to lock up. By that, I mean I can't access it via NFS, and none
of
> the
> > > network services seem to respond (i.e. sshd). It does respond to a
ping,
> > > however.  If I go to the console and reboot it, everything is fine
> again,
> > > for a couple of days (which is a pain, because it's in a different
> > > building.) It doesn't seem to happen at a particular interval, or at a
> > > particular time, but it's about every 3 or 4 days. I have no idea
what's
> > > happening. Has anyone seen anything similar before, or have any ideas
> where
> > > I might look for clues?

> > Random thought, but you wouldn't happen to be running the nVidia
> > graphics drivers, would you?  I've had similar problems (hangs) on
> > some RH8 machines, and typically can't even ping them.

> > As for the other poster's comment about portmapper: obviously wrong
> > since sshd doesn't go through portmap.

> > Please follow up if you figure this out.  (My machines are also in
> > another building....)

> > Damian Menscher

> This sounds way too familiar. I have 3 RH8 machines at work, one with an
old
> Diamond card and the other 2 with NVIDIA cards (built-in IBM
Intellistation
> cards). The IBM machines will act very well then start dropping
connections
> (ssh mainly) and/or tcp/ip-related services (like TSM server). It usually
> doesn't get as bad as not being able to ping the machine but I can't do
> anything else.

NFS server not responding

Post by Damian Mensche » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 09:31:26

> Hmm, may that's it. I do have an Nvidia TNT 2 PCI video card. Anyone know if
> there's a patch for it? I guess I can replace the video card, but that means
> driving 40 miles (oh well). Thanks for the responses, since I probably would
> have never in a million years suspected the vide card.

Are you running the nVidia drivers (downloaded from their website)?  If not,
then this may not be your problem.  It's not the video card that's at fault
(from what I've heard) but rather the video drivers made by nVidia.

I've recently removed those drivers from one of my machines in hopes of
getting better stability.  Gotta wait to see, though....

Damian

>> > Random thought, but you wouldn't happen to be running the nVidia
>> > graphics drivers, would you?  I've had similar problems (hangs) on
>> > some RH8 machines, and typically can't even ping them.

>> > As for the other poster's comment about portmapper: obviously wrong
>> > since sshd doesn't go through portmap.

>> > Please follow up if you figure this out.  (My machines are also in
>> > another building....)

>> > Damian Menscher

>> This sounds way too familiar. I have 3 RH8 machines at work, one with an old
>> Diamond card and the other 2 with NVIDIA cards (built-in IBM Intellistation
>> cards). The IBM machines will act very well then start dropping connections
>> (ssh mainly) and/or tcp/ip-related services (like TSM server). It usually
>> doesn't get as bad as not being able to ping the machine but I can't do
>> anything else.

Damian Menscher
--

-=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc:(217)333-0038 |#=-
-=#| 4602 Beckman, VMIL/MS, Imaging Technology Group:(217)244-3074 |#=-

1. NFS server not responding

When mounting the NFS directories use soft as an option which means
after a default number of tries it will stop trying to mount also
noauto is an option that helps that. I cant remember how to set the
default tries, but under most os's it is 3 or 4. Just man mount to see
more options.

: We run a Ultra 2 (Solaris 2.5.1) as a Server on 10Mbps network.
: Sometimes the clients stop and return "NFS Server not responding".
: It takes about 5 minutes an the the clients recover.
: From to RJ45 to the AUI we use a hub.
: Is there a parameter to tell the hme0 network interface only
: use 10Mbps.
: Where can I change the time how often the nfsd tries to recover?
: Is it possible that a power down on the hub causes this error?
: Is there a log file regarding the hme0 network activity?

: Regards
: Pat
: --
:  ________ ________
:  ___  __ \__  ___/   Patrick Schlepfer       Tel: +41-1-7405150
:  __  /_/ /_(__  )    Schulstrasse 12         Fax: +41-1-7409603

:  /_/

--
                                        natambu.

2. If Microsoft falls, who will succeed them?

3. NFS server not responding, still trying

4. Linux Kernel compilation problems -- Please Help!!!

5. NFS Server not responding

6. : ir250_checker.diff

7. NFS server not responding, still trying

8. DHCP problem

9. nfs server not responding

10. NFS server not responding

11. NFS server not responding (Sol. 2.4)

12. NFS server not responding messages

13. NFS server not responding for Ultra 170