telnet server on workstation class; rh7.1

telnet server on workstation class; rh7.1

Post by Amar Nayegandh » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 03:13:25

hi,
 I want to set up telnet/ftp access to my machine running red hat 7.1.  I
have installed the workstation class using the red hat cds; can anyone let
me know what I need to do to start a telnet/ftp server on this machine?
If anyone knows a good link explaining what I need to do, it will be most
welcome!
thanks,
amar

telnet server on workstation class; rh7.1

Post by Manwe Sulim » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 05:28:38

I am going to make this as brief and step-by-step as I can, but you should
realize you will need to get to know the setup much better.  These functions
are terribly insecure, but there are ways to limit access. And the method in
Redhat 7.1 is not necessarily the method in most places.

1) "cd /etc/xinetd.d"
2) use vi or emacs or your favorite editor to edit the file "telnet" in this
directory; change the parameter of disable--the last entry--to "no"
3) do the same thing for "wu-ftpd"
4) "/etc/init.d/xinetd restart"

This should give regular users telnet and ftp access.

Quote:> hi,
>  I want to set up telnet/ftp access to my machine running red hat 7.1.  I
> have installed the workstation class using the red hat cds; can anyone let
> me know what I need to do to start a telnet/ftp server on this machine?
> If anyone knows a good link explaining what I need to do, it will be most
> welcome!
> thanks,
> amar

telnet server on workstation class; rh7.1

Post by Amar Nayegandh » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 01:10:26

Hi,
 Thanks for your reply.  However, I do not have a 'telnet' file in
/etc/xinetd.d and nor do i have a ftp file.  Does that mean the telnet/ftp
server is not installed?  What rpm's do I need to install it?
thanks,
amar

> I am going to make this as brief and step-by-step as I can, but you should
> realize you will need to get to know the setup much better.  These functions
> are terribly insecure, but there are ways to limit access. And the method in
> Redhat 7.1 is not necessarily the method in most places.

> 1) "cd /etc/xinetd.d"
> 2) use vi or emacs or your favorite editor to edit the file "telnet" in this
> directory; change the parameter of disable--the last entry--to "no"
> 3) do the same thing for "wu-ftpd"
> 4) "/etc/init.d/xinetd restart"

> This should give regular users telnet and ftp access.

> > hi,
> >  I want to set up telnet/ftp access to my machine running red hat 7.1.  I
> > have installed the workstation class using the red hat cds; can anyone let
> > me know what I need to do to start a telnet/ftp server on this machine?
> > If anyone knows a good link explaining what I need to do, it will be most
> > welcome!
> > thanks,
> > amar

Amar Nayegandhi
Graduate Student                Research Assistant
Dept of Computer Science,       US Geological Survey
Univ of South Florida, Tampa.   Center For Coastal Studies.
ph# 813-974-1346                ph# 727-803-8747 x3026.
                                fx# 727-803-2032.

telnet server on workstation class; rh7.1

Post by Manwe Sulim » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 01:47:11

I believe you got it exactly right.  To make sure, running the following:
rpm -q wu-ftpd
rpm -q telnet-server

I am not sure what dependencies exist for these packages, so it is probably
wisest to stick with the versions that came with 7.1.  You should be able to
find them at www.rpmfind.net

Try:
wu-ftpd-2.6.1-16
telnet-server-0.17.10

> Hi,
>  Thanks for your reply.  However, I do not have a 'telnet' file in
> /etc/xinetd.d and nor do i have a ftp file.  Does that mean the telnet/ftp
> server is not installed?  What rpm's do I need to install it?
> thanks,
> amar

> > I am going to make this as brief and step-by-step as I can, but you
should
> > realize you will need to get to know the setup much better.  These
functions
> > are terribly insecure, but there are ways to limit access. And the
method in
> > Redhat 7.1 is not necessarily the method in most places.

> > 1) "cd /etc/xinetd.d"
> > 2) use vi or emacs or your favorite editor to edit the file "telnet" in
this
> > directory; change the parameter of disable--the last entry--to "no"
> > 3) do the same thing for "wu-ftpd"
> > 4) "/etc/init.d/xinetd restart"

> > This should give regular users telnet and ftp access.

> > > hi,
> > >  I want to set up telnet/ftp access to my machine running red hat 7.1.
> > > have installed the workstation class using the red hat cds; can anyone
let
> > > me know what I need to do to start a telnet/ftp server on this
machine?
> > > If anyone knows a good link explaining what I need to do, it will be
most
> > > welcome!
> > > thanks,
> > > amar

> Amar Nayegandhi
> Graduate Student                Research Assistant
> Dept of Computer Science,       US Geological Survey
> Univ of South Florida, Tampa.   Center For Coastal Studies.
> ph# 813-974-1346                ph# 727-803-8747 x3026.
>                                 fx# 727-803-2032.

telnet server on workstation class; rh7.1

Post by Amar Nayegandh » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 06:54:37

Hi,
 Thanks for the suggestions.  I found the rpm's in the RH7.1 CDs and have
installed them and my telnet and ftp are up and running.  About the issue
of security, I have added an 'all:all' in the /etc/hosts.deny file, and
added only those IP addresses in the /etc/hosts.allow file, that are
allowed telnet/ftp access.  Is this secure enough, or do i need to worry
about something else??
thanks again,
amar

> I believe you got it exactly right.  To make sure, running the following:
> rpm -q wu-ftpd
> rpm -q telnet-server

> I am not sure what dependencies exist for these packages, so it is probably
> wisest to stick with the versions that came with 7.1.  You should be able to
> find them at www.rpmfind.net

> Try:
> wu-ftpd-2.6.1-16
> telnet-server-0.17.10

> > Hi,
> >  Thanks for your reply.  However, I do not have a 'telnet' file in
> > /etc/xinetd.d and nor do i have a ftp file.  Does that mean the telnet/ftp
> > server is not installed?  What rpm's do I need to install it?
> > thanks,
> > amar

> > > I am going to make this as brief and step-by-step as I can, but you
> should
> > > realize you will need to get to know the setup much better.  These
> functions
> > > are terribly insecure, but there are ways to limit access. And the
> method in
> > > Redhat 7.1 is not necessarily the method in most places.

> > > 1) "cd /etc/xinetd.d"
> > > 2) use vi or emacs or your favorite editor to edit the file "telnet" in
> this
> > > directory; change the parameter of disable--the last entry--to "no"
> > > 3) do the same thing for "wu-ftpd"
> > > 4) "/etc/init.d/xinetd restart"

> > > This should give regular users telnet and ftp access.

> let
> machine?
> most

> > Amar Nayegandhi
> > Graduate Student                Research Assistant
> > Dept of Computer Science,       US Geological Survey
> > Univ of South Florida, Tampa.   Center For Coastal Studies.
> > ph# 813-974-1346                ph# 727-803-8747 x3026.
> >                                 fx# 727-803-2032.

Amar Nayegandhi
Graduate Student                Research Assistant
Dept of Computer Science,       US Geological Survey
Univ of South Florida, Tampa.   Center For Coastal Studies.
ph# 813-974-1346                ph# 727-803-8747 x3026.
                                fx# 727-803-2032.

telnet server on workstation class; rh7.1

Post by Manwe Sulim » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:46:13

The unfortunate answer is that it simply ends.  Most experienced people will
tell you that no matter what with telnet/ftp/rsh/etc you are just asking for
trouble, not matter what security you think you have put in place.  Or how
restrictive you believe it is.  The better answer would be to make use of
open-ssh.  Those packages should be on the cds as well (may actually install
by default).  On a very basic level, one of the security problems with ftp
and such is that they tramsit in clear text.  So if you do not trust the
pipe between the computers (with less than rigorous security, it is fairly
easy to snoop these pipes), then no amount of security on the server or
client end will be of much comfort.  Since ssh uses encryption (various key
lengths, but in any event much better than clear text), that secures your
line tremendously.

If this is a ftp/telnet server at your home, with and ISP like &Home or
something, then you are just begging to be root-kitted.  If it is at work,
and it is of limited use, and it is simply not feasible to install ssh on
all computers, then maybe that is the right choice.