Buying a new machine for Linux, Recommendations anyone?

Buying a new machine for Linux, Recommendations anyone?

Post by Michael Norto » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:46:02

I am going to buy a new machine for Linux. I'd like to buy something 'off
the shelf' and install Linux over the Microsoft OS. Any recommendations on a
cheap machine? Anything to avoid?

Buying a new machine for Linux, Recommendations anyone?

Post by Richard Harmonso » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:15:11

Off the shelf? Icky! Only suggestion would be to select a system and
avoid integrated components like modem, nic, audio, and video.  Then use
the following url to check for compatibility.

http://www.redhat.com/hardware

--
Richard Harmonson
A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE

Quote:> I am going to buy a new machine for Linux. I'd like to buy something 'off
> the shelf' and install Linux over the Microsoft OS. Any recommendations on a
> cheap machine? Anything to avoid?

Buying a new machine for Linux, Recommendations anyone?

Post by Gre » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 01:32:11

If you're going to go off the shelf I'd go Dell.  They use pretty
standardized components and work well with Red Hat.  Definately avoid
the integrated components, although Dell's Optiplex GX150 works great
with RH7.1 (even its integrated NIC).

> Off the shelf? Icky! Only suggestion would be to select a system and
> avoid integrated components like modem, nic, audio, and video.  Then use
> the following url to check for compatibility.

> http://www.redhat.com/hardware

> --
> Richard Harmonson
> A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE
> http://www.kinetotech.com

> > I am going to buy a new machine for Linux. I'd like to buy something 'off
> > the shelf' and install Linux over the Microsoft OS. Any recommendations on a
> > cheap machine? Anything to avoid?

Buying a new machine for Linux, Recommendations anyone?

Post by Block Iron & Supply Co. - CI » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 02:16:06

I believe IBM supports Linux on all their systems.

> If you're going to go off the shelf I'd go Dell.  They use pretty
> standardized components and work well with Red Hat.  Definately avoid
> the integrated components, although Dell's Optiplex GX150 works great
> with RH7.1 (even its integrated NIC).

> > Off the shelf? Icky! Only suggestion would be to select a system and
> > avoid integrated components like modem, nic, audio, and video.  Then use
> > the following url to check for compatibility.

> > http://www.redhat.com/hardware

> > --
> > Richard Harmonson
> > A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE
> > http://www.kinetotech.com

> > > I am going to buy a new machine for Linux. I'd like to buy something
'off
> > > the shelf' and install Linux over the Microsoft OS. Any

recommendations on a

Quote:> > > cheap machine? Anything to avoid?

Buying a new machine for Linux, Recommendations anyone?

Post by James Knot » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:12:08

Also, since IBM is support Linux, they'd be a good bet.  They even have
a model matrix, that shows which models can be ordered with it.

> If you're going to go off the shelf I'd go Dell.  They use pretty
> standardized components and work well with Red Hat.  Definately avoid
> the integrated components, although Dell's Optiplex GX150 works great
> with RH7.1 (even its integrated NIC).

>> Off the shelf? Icky! Only suggestion would be to select a system and
>> avoid integrated components like modem, nic, audio, and video.  Then
>> use the following url to check for compatibility.

>> http://www.redhat.com/hardware

>> --
>> Richard Harmonson
>> A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE
>> http://www.kinetotech.com

>> > I am going to buy a new machine for Linux. I'd like to buy
>> > something 'off the shelf' and install Linux over the Microsoft OS.
>> > Any recommendations on a cheap machine? Anything to avoid?

--

james.knott.

Buying a new machine for Linux, Recommendations anyone?

Post by caenu » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 04:22:50

You should be able to get a cheap Dell off their refurbished site. You
can find some really good deals, just watch their stock few times a
day. The good ones go fast. Goto dell.com, choose home and home office
(or any of the other areas) and then at the top, refurbished systems.

At work we got a dual pentium 3 1ghz dell w/ 256mb of ram, onboard
scsi i think + 20gb 10k scsi hd for around $700. Works fine and is
still has warranty though Dell for 3 years.

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:46:02 -0600, "Michael Norton"

Post by Bob Carpente » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:23:24

> If you're going to go off the shelf I'd go Dell.  They use pretty
> standardized components and work well with Red Hat.  Definately avoid
> the integrated components, although Dell's Optiplex GX150 works great
> with RH7.1 (even its integrated NIC).

>> Off the shelf? Icky! Only suggestion would be to select a system and
>> avoid integrated components like modem, nic, audio, and video.  Then
>> use the following url to check for compatibility.

>> http://www.redhat.com/hardware

>> --
>> Richard Harmonson
>> A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE
>> http://www.kinetotech.com

>> > I am going to buy a new machine for Linux. I'd like to buy something
>> > 'off the shelf' and install Linux over the Microsoft OS. Any
>> > recommendations on a cheap machine? Anything to avoid?

I bought a new computer just b4 Christmas from Adamant Computers.  They
build to order -  you pick the moboard, cpu, video, etc, they put it
together.  Or you can order one of their prebuilts.  The price was right,
they shipped on time and I'm as happy as a clam in a mud flat!

www.adamant.com

LOL

bob

Post by kevin wilco » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:44:50

> I am going to buy a new machine for Linux. I'd like to buy something 'off
> the shelf' and install Linux over the Microsoft OS. Any recommendations on a
> cheap machine? Anything to avoid?

if you can afford it (I always have to build my machines a little at a
time), go with IBM.  They will even pre-install Linux for you if I
recall correctly.  Dell is usually a good shot....stay way away from
system with onboard devices, as a general rule.  Mandrake actually has
a listing of the major component AND pc manufacturers, and if you have
a model of PC in mind, you can check and see if Mandrake has been
tested with it.  Usually if one distro will work, the others should
too (though some may require tweaking at first).

kw
--
Windows - A thirty two bit extension and gui shell to a six* bit
patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:26:36

> I am going to buy a new machine for Linux. I'd like to buy something
> 'off the shelf' and install Linux over the Microsoft OS. Any
> recommendations on a cheap machine?

Go to your local "screw driver shop" (custom builder of 'white box'
computers) if you don't want to assemble it yourself.

Quote:> Anything to avoid?

If buying an 'off the shelf' brand name computer:

DO NOT buy one with a built in modem.

DO NOT buy one that includes a modem unless they guarantee in writing
that it is a 3COM/USR model 2976, 2977, or 3258.

DO NOT buy one that has video built in on the motherboard.  If you want
cheap video, get an ATI XPERT 2000 PRO 32MB SDRAM AGP.  I have a Rage
IIC which is OK, but this is a newer version.

JRT

Post by James Knot » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:46:20

> DO NOT buy one that has video built in on the motherboard.

My IBM PC750 has built in video and sound.  Both work fine with Linux.

--

james.knott.

Post by Mike Ken » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 14:10:59

> I believe IBM supports Linux on all their systems.

I've had good luck with last-years'-model Intellistations
and a low-end e-server bought at auction for around 1/3
the IBM list price -- mostly new, one IBM refurb that
seems to really be good as new, all with 3yr IBM warranty.
Good tech support the one time I needed it

Post by James Richard Tyre » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:02:20

> > DO NOT buy one that has video built in on the motherboard.

> My IBM PC750 has built in video and sound.  Both work fine with Linux.

Which chipset do you have?  Most of the problems that I hear are with
the Intel i810, i815 and other similar ones.

I probably should have been a little more specific.  It is the
motherboards that don't have a separate video frame buffer that seem to
cause all of the grief.  Perhaps it is quite possible to get an Intel
i815 mb working fine with the current Kernel, but people still have a
lot of trouble with them.

JRT

Post by James Knot » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:11:33

>> > DO NOT buy one that has video built in on the motherboard.

>> My IBM PC750 has built in video and sound.  Both work fine with
>> Linux.

> Which chipset do you have?  Most of the problems that I hear are with
> the Intel i810, i815 and other similar ones.

> I probably should have been a little more specific.  It is the
> motherboards that don't have a separate video frame buffer that seem
> cause all of the grief.  Perhaps it is quite possible to get an Intel
> i815 mb working fine with the current Kernel, but people still have a
> lot of trouble with them.

It has the S3 864/868 chipset.

--

james.knott.