Reading CD-RW from normal CD-Rom

Post by nage » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 11:08:46

I have RH8.0 how do i read CD-RW from normal CD-Rom? in windows I
usually install a software called InCD this will allow to perform that
action.

Reading CD-RW from normal CD-Rom

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 12:57:27

Quote:> I have RH8.0 how do i read CD-RW from normal CD-Rom? in windows I
> usually install a software called InCD this will allow to perform that
> action.

I do not believe that packet writer software is compatible across systems.
Meaning, you will not be able to read the Nero InCD discs in your linux
machine.  However, if you want to try, here is some information about a
linux based packet writer:

http://packet-cd.sourceforge.net/instructions.php3

Looks like you'll need to do a kernel patch and build though.  Others may
have more helpful suggestions.  I am presenting one option.

ken k

1. Reading CD-R & CD-RW with an ATAPI HP 7200e CD-Writer on RH 6.0...

I am presently unable to read CD-RWs or CD-Rs that are
not closed. I want to use both as lightweight backups.

I would prefer not to have to build a kernel. Reading
relevant posts has left me confused. (I am presently
assuming that the issue is UDF.)

Do you know if what I am trying to do is impossible, or
can you suggest pointers to continue investigation?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

PS.

The following may be germane, but I don't want to
distract from my question :-)

I use DirectCD on w95/98 to write the CD-RW and CD-Rs.
(I am assuming that I can use cdwriter to write, but so
far have only verified that I can use -eject and -load
to open and shut the drive tray :-))

I can read CR-ROMs and closed CD-Rs. This took me a while,
using the following magic:
    modprobe parport
    modprobe paride
    modprobe epat
    modprobe pcd
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrw
If I try to mount a CD-R or CD-RW, I get the following barf:
    mount: block device /dev/pcd0 is write-protected,
        mounting read-only
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
       /dev/pcd0, or too many mounted file systems

The issue would appear to be UDF. I downloaded udf-0.8.8
from http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfennema/udf.html (this
seems to me to not require a kernel patch). I built this,
installed, did the modprobe udf, but when I did
    mount -t udf /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrw
with any CD in the drive (CD-{ROM,RW,R}), the CD-Writer
gurgled briefly and then my machine hung. I waited for
5 mins. but it still remained unresponsive. I rebooted
and repeated many times.

I read the FAQ in the udf-0.8.9.1 download (from
http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/index.html), and
was confused by the following:
    2.3) Can I read DirectCD (or other packet-writing
         software) discs with this driver?
    Yes, you should be able to.
but later the FAQ writes:
    3.2) How come some discs can be read in DirectCD,
         but not with this driver?
    Usually, these are discs that DirectCD (or other
    packet-writing software) has not 'closed', ie,
    finished writing the UDF volume information. Some
    of these discs will cause the kernel to crash in the
    lower-level driver, even if the UDF driver isn't
    loaded. More work needs to be done to understand this
    problem.

So it would appear that I can't read CD-RWs or open CD-Rs
for the moment?

2. XF312D(and E) question

3. CD-ROM, CD-RW, Internal ZIP , Confusion!

4. Apache 63%, Microsoft 26% !

5. SCSI CD-rw and cd-rom recommendation

6. gtk

7. replacing IDE CD-ROM with IDE CD-RW - kernel panic!

8. Soundblaster pci128 module

9. Howto install CD-ROM + CD-RW

10. 2nd CD-ROM/CD-RW

11. SCSI problem w/ CD-ROM & CD-RW