Strange Problem..Anyone got any ideas what is happenig ?

Strange Problem..Anyone got any ideas what is happenig ?

Post by Dave William » Thu, 23 May 2002 22:21:25

All,
    I have a hard disc drive that has 3 partitions.  The partitions are
mounted to /d01, /d02 and /d03 respectively.  The strange problem that I am
having is that each partition has a main directory called oracle as well as
a lost+found directory.  The wierd thing is that I cannot see the oracle
directory from a shell window !! If I go into file manager then I can see
the oracle directories fine.  If I do a ls -la oracle from bash I get
nothing back.  But if I do a cd oracle then I can change into that directory
!!!!

What the hell is going on ?  Can someone help ?

Thanks.

Dave.

Post by Davi » Fri, 24 May 2002 00:43:32

> All,
>     I have a hard disc drive that has 3 partitions.  The partitions are
> mounted to /d01, /d02 and /d03 respectively.  The strange problem that I am
> having is that each partition has a main directory called oracle as well as
> a lost+found directory.  The wierd thing is that I cannot see the oracle
> directory from a shell window !! If I go into file manager then I can see
> the oracle directories fine.  If I do a ls -la oracle from bash I get
> nothing back.  But if I do a cd oracle then I can change into that directory
> !!!!

Are they hidden by chance?  .oracle
                             ^
                             ^
Notice the "." at the beginning.

Try:  ls -f   # to list hidden files/directories.

--
   Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.

Strange Problem..Anyone got any ideas what is happenig ?

Post by Dave William » Fri, 24 May 2002 03:39:58

No they are not hidden.  A ls -la would show up hidden files/directories.

Dave.

Post by Big Bi » Sat, 25 May 2002 13:28:55

>[...] The wierd thing is that I cannot see the oracle
> directory from a shell window !! If I go into file manager then I can see
> the oracle directories fine.  If I do a ls -la oracle from bash I get
> nothing back.  But if I do a cd oracle then I can change into that directory

What do you see with a blank "ls -la"? Or "ls -la o*"? Just in case
the name of the directory has a space at the end or such...

Strange Problem..Anyone got any ideas what is happenig ?

Post by Salih YILM » Sat, 25 May 2002 20:00:16

Hi Dave,
The problem seems to be just strange. If I were you I would try to
1) Rename this Oracle directory and check it with "ls -l" or "ls -la"
2) Create a new "Oracle" named directory and check this one with "ls -l" or "ls -la"

In this way you can understand what is the real problem.

Sincerely,
Salih.
--
Share what you know, learn what you don't

Strange Problem..Anyone got any ideas what is happenig ?

Post by Dave William » Sun, 26 May 2002 01:52:33

If I do a "ls -la" then nothing is returned.  If I do an "ls -o*" then again
nothing is returned.  It is really bizarre.  It is like a hidden directory.
I have no idea why I can see the directory in file manager but not from a
shell !!

Dave.

Quote:> >[...] The wierd thing is that I cannot see the oracle
> > directory from a shell window !! If I go into file manager then I can
see
> > the oracle directories fine.  If I do a ls -la oracle from bash I get
> > nothing back.  But if I do a cd oracle then I can change into that
directory

> What do you see with a blank "ls -la"? Or "ls -la o*"? Just in case
> the name of the directory has a space at the end or such...

Strange Problem..Anyone got any ideas what is happenig ?

Post by Christian Reine » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 01:58:25

Hmmm,
what about checking your ls command?
Maybe there's an alias?
Christian