Newbie: RH8.0 ADSL problem ioctl(SIOCGIFHWADDR): No such device

Newbie: RH8.0 ADSL problem ioctl(SIOCGIFHWADDR): No such device

Post by Richard Devit » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:04:07

I upgraded an RH7.3 system to 8.0 recently.  Under 7.3, I was using
Roaring Penguin PPPOE 3.5.1 software without any problem.  With 8.0, I
get the following message when trying to start up the ADSL modem:

     ioctl(SIOCGIFHWADDR): Session 0: No such device

I then tried installing 8.0 from scratch; no differece.  I've tried
network cards from three different vendors; all give the same result.
Another machine that still runs 7.3 has no problem starting up the ADSL
connection.

A Web search of SIOCGIFHWADDR turned up other people having the same
problem in different circumstances, but no obvious solution.

The modem is an Alcatel Speed Touch Home; the machine is an AMD Athlon 600.

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard Devitt

To reply directly, place my first name (all lower-case) in the
appropriate place in the return e-mail address.

1. RTL8139: ioctl(SIOCGIFHWADDR): No such device

Hi,

Environment: Kernel 2.5.24, SuSE Linux 7.2, Intel Chipset 440FX

NIC: RTL1839 connected to ADSL Modem

When trying to connect to ADSL, I get the following error msgs (I guess the
"ioctl(SIOCGIFHWADDR): No such device" is the important part):

pppd[823]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
pppd[823]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[823]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
pppoe[824]: ioctl(SIOCGIFHWADDR): No such device
pppd[823]: Modem hangup
pppd[823]: Connection terminated.
pppd[823]: Exit.

Have not tried 2.5.23 but 2.5.22 works fine. Since there have been changes to
the 8139too driver I guess thats it. Unfortunately I do not know where to fix
this.

Regards,
Axel
-

2. Mathematica for Linux

3. IDE & SCSI

4. MAC ADDRESS/ioctl(siocgifhwaddr)

5. bash filename completion

6. Gated failure in ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR?!

7. YQ¨ How do I get my Cirrus VLB 5428 work on 16/32 bpp color????????

8. dm-ioctl.h - device-mapper ioctl packet fixes

9. getting 'ioctl failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device'

10. Error: ftp: ioctl I_FIND ttcompat: Inappropriate ioctl for device

11. getting - "ioctl failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device"

12. newbie:inappropriste ioctl for device