making own linux installer.

Post by K.Prasanna Kum » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:11:20

Hi,

I would like to set up a minimal linux system. Inorder to that, I have
recompiled the kernel (Using the Kernel-HOWTO manual), and got an
Image and using that image
i have added entry in etc/lilo.conf file. After rebooting the system,
I have got an option to select the one which i recompiled.

But still, i could not do a Setup CD for installing the minimal Linux
OS. I am using Redhat 7.3 and kernel version  2.4.18-3bigmem.

I want to know the minimal packages for running the OS.
and Want to create a setup (like Redhat)

My requirement is:
1) to know the minimum package requirements.
2) How to create a Installation wizard (?!) . For example. after
putting Redhat CD, it is taking to text mode/GUI etc., I want to do
the same, but with my own packages and kernel image. In short a Custom
installer.

I referred following links.

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~benjamin/log/e_clig.shtml  --> could not get
more info.
http://redhat.com
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

But still i could not find a correct way. If any body created these
things, please give me some hints.

Regards
Guru.

making own linux installer.

Post by Richard Harmons » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 01:39:42

> Hi,

> I would like to set up a minimal linux system. Inorder to that, I have
> recompiled the kernel (Using the Kernel-HOWTO manual), and got an
> Image and using that image
> i have added entry in etc/lilo.conf file. After rebooting the system,
> I have got an option to select the one which i recompiled.

> But still, i could not do a Setup CD for installing the minimal Linux
> OS. I am using Redhat 7.3 and kernel version  2.4.18-3bigmem.

> I want to know the minimal packages for running the OS.
> and Want to create a setup (like Redhat)

> My requirement is:
> 1) to know the minimum package requirements.
> 2) How to create a Installation wizard (?!) . For example. after
> putting Redhat CD, it is taking to text mode/GUI etc., I want to do
> the same, but with my own packages and kernel image. In short a Custom
> installer.

> I referred following links.

> http://www.csh.rit.edu/~benjamin/log/e_clig.shtml  --> could not get
> more info.
> http://redhat.com
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

> But still i could not find a correct way. If any body created these
> things, please give me some hints.

> Regards
> Guru.

Why create a new installer? Use the Red Hat installer, but create a
kickstart script (ks.cfg). Using a ks.cfg, you can specify what groups
of packages to install as well as install custom packages. To
determine dependencies either read the accompanying documentation or
create a test box and do a 'custom' install stripping everything but
the core components. Use rpm to install desired packages. RPM will
tell you the required dependencies.

Luck,

Richard Harmonson
Certified Systems Engineer
http://www.kinetotech.com/richard/

making own linux installer.

Post by K.Prasanna Kum » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:49:33

Can u give me an example for a kickstart file?
Or
any Tutorial (not redhat' s) explaining how to create it?

regards
guru.

> > Hi,

> > I would like to set up a minimal linux system. Inorder to that, I have
> > recompiled the kernel (Using the Kernel-HOWTO manual), and got an
> > Image and using that image
> > i have added entry in etc/lilo.conf file. After rebooting the system,
> > I have got an option to select the one which i recompiled.

> > But still, i could not do a Setup CD for installing the minimal Linux
> > OS. I am using Redhat 7.3 and kernel version  2.4.18-3bigmem.

> > I want to know the minimal packages for running the OS.
> > and Want to create a setup (like Redhat)

> > My requirement is:
> > 1) to know the minimum package requirements.
> > 2) How to create a Installation wizard (?!) . For example. after
> > putting Redhat CD, it is taking to text mode/GUI etc., I want to do
> > the same, but with my own packages and kernel image. In short a Custom
> > installer.

> > I referred following links.

> > http://www.csh.rit.edu/~benjamin/log/e_clig.shtml  --> could not get
> > more info.
> > http://redhat.com
> > http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

> > But still i could not find a correct way. If any body created these
> > things, please give me some hints.

> > Regards
> > Guru.

> Why create a new installer? Use the Red Hat installer, but create a
> kickstart script (ks.cfg). Using a ks.cfg, you can specify what groups
> of packages to install as well as install custom packages. To
> determine dependencies either read the accompanying documentation or
> create a test box and do a 'custom' install stripping everything but
> the core components. Use rpm to install desired packages. RPM will
> tell you the required dependencies.

> Luck,

> Richard Harmonson
> Certified Systems Engineer
> http://www.kinetotech.com/richard/

making own linux installer.

Post by K.Prasanna Kum » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:51:40

I have read Redhat 7.3 Customization guide for Kickstart installation.

But it says:

1. Kickstart method is only for installation without human
intervention
2. Still u have to have the 3 Cds.

It means, after defining the custom packages and all other
configurations, kickstart works fine.

But my case is different.

I want to create a minimal linux OS.

1 . All customized packages (unwanted packages like KDE / Gnome should
not be
   there) should be included in only one CD.

2. It should have an Installer where the user can select the keyboard
option/language/mouse etc., But for Package, there Should be NO
option.
Because it is the minimal requirement.

3.After starting CD, setup process should proceed as in Redhat .

4. Define my own background image in the installer.

I got an idea from a project called picobsd . But i dont know how the
installer works there.

any idea?

regards,
Guru.

making own linux installer.

Post by Richard Harmons » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:35:49

> Can u give me an example for a kickstart file?
> Or
> any Tutorial (not redhat' s) explaining how to create it?

> regards
> guru.

<snip>

You will find details at

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/

Richard Harmonson
Systems Engineer
http://www.kinetotech.com/richard/

1. LinuxPPC: X Linux installer vs Red Hat installer

Hey,

I will soon embark on installing Linux/PPC 1999 Q3 on my PowerMac
6500.  I'm reading through the very nice Installation & User Guide for
LinuxPPC that I downloaded.

More than a year ago I installed Slackware from floppy disks on an old
486...I never installed X, so I know nothing about these graphical
installers.

I'm wondering if someone can give me a concise argument for or against
using the X Linux Installer and the Red Hat Installer?  Why are there
two methods of installation?

Thanks,

christian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. [COMPAT] compat_sys_fcntl{,64} 5/9 ia64 part

3. Making my own Linux CD

4. Imake site?

5. What does each define in include-tree?

6. Anyone ever made their own device driver for Linux?

7. Configuring as a (user) PPP server

8. making a patched installer

9. different X-server between R5 X-installer and RedHat installer ??

10. NEW installer.coff [was: Q: installer 'Components to Install' ]

11. How to call by phone my own pc and made hime to establish a connection ?