Linux setup question

Post by Jeff Heckma » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:55:28

I am trying to set up my lan with a new install of redhat 7.1.  In KDE i am
trying to use linuxconfig,I get this error
Couldn't execute /usr/bin/kdesu "sbin/netconfig"
Please install linuxconfig package.This is my first shot at something other
than a microsquat product.Any help would be appreciated.

Linux setup question

Post by Neil DeLur » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:36:51

You need to get out the RH CD (CD 1 i believe) and install the linuxconf
RPM

> I am trying to set up my lan with a new install of redhat 7.1.  In KDE i
> am trying to use linuxconfig,I get this error Couldn't execute
> /usr/bin/kdesu "sbin/netconfig" Please install linuxconfig package.This
> is my first shot at something other than a microsquat product.Any help
> would be appreciated.

1. Very basic linux setup questions

I'm running Win98 on a Pentium-II 400 with 128 megs of RAM.  I want to
install Linux, and the best way to go seems to be to stick in an old
400 Mb hard drive, wipe it, and put Linux on it.

With that in mind, I have some questions.

First, should I format the HD first, low-level format the HD, or leave
it as is and let Linux and/or the install process reformat that drive?
Should I wipe the small drive and then put DOS on it before I put Linux
on it (this seems silly, but....)?

Second, what's the best way to install Linux in this 2-drive scenario?
Should I take the Win98 HD off the cable entirely during the install?
Download Linux _to_ the Win98 drive and install to the smaller HD from
there?  Get Linux on a CD and set the machine to boot to the smaller HD
from the CD?

Third, I've been told that Linux can handle the dual-boot approach.  If
I want to have a choice between Win98 and Linux on boot up, do I have
to leave the Linux drive as the primary HD?  And does that mean I do
need to have the Win98 HD in the loop during the install?  (If it isn't
obvious, I have a ton of data on the Win98 drive that I *don't* want to
lose, though I will back it up before any of this).

Lastly, I access the internet via a DSL line that runs into a Kingston
NIC.  Will I be able to access the net in this fashion via Linux?

Thanks in advance for any info, help, suggestions, etc!

-LS

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Linux and WD 540 mg disk

3. Newbie running Win95 / Linux setup question..

4. Stock Ticker

5. redirecting stdout & stderr

6. Linux setup question

7. X-Windows error: No valid modes found...

8. MINI LINUX Setup Questions

9. Newbie with Linux-setup questions

10. Red Hat Linux setup question

11. Quick Linux Setup Question...