Change permission on a mounted usb drive?

Change permission on a mounted usb drive?

Post by x » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:40:31

How do I change the write permission on a mounted usb drive (/dev/sda1
mounted to /mnt/usbhd)?  When I try to add files it says permission
denied, I have to be root, but I want to be a regular user. Please help.

Stephen

Post by Paul W. Frield » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 22:36:25

> How do I change the write permission on a mounted usb drive (/dev/sda1
> mounted to /mnt/usbhd)?  When I try to add files it says permission
> denied, I have to be root, but I want to be a regular user. Please help.

> Stephen

There is a set of scripts that make privileged console users the owners
of certain special devices. (For example, login as a normal user on your
system console -- wait, you're doing that already, right? :-) -- and
check the ownership of /dev/fd0.) This is in part controlled by the file
/etc/security/console.perms, which you can edit to include /mnt/usbhd.
Then you could put the option "noauto,owner" in your /etc/fstab tying
the appropriate device to /mnt/usbhd. Then any console user should be
able to do "mount /mnt/usbhd" and achieve full control on the drive's
mounted volume. See also:

  man pam_console
  man console.perms
  man mount

Note that this won't allow remote users who login to do this -- only
those on the console. It is more secure than simply letting users
control the mounting process.

--

Paul W. Frields, RHCE/RHCX    (remove "foo" from e-mail to reply)

1. Cant change permissions on mounted Fat32 drive?

Because of shortage of space on my Linux partition I have mounted my Win
partition (FAT32) to store data files. The FAT32 partition is mounted
 (automatically at boot and I have no trouble looking at it or writing
to it normally) on /mnt/win/server this is symlinked to /home/server -
(/home/server
 --> /mnt/win/server) for the benefit of Samba users. The problem I have
is that what ever I do with it, chown, chmod, chgrp I can't seem to make
it
 writeable through samba; the Samba users cannot write to it full stop.

 Does anyone have any ideas how I can persuade Linux to let Samba
client/users write to this HD/partition? I've tried changing permissions
on the
 symlink, on mount, on the directory itself but nothing seems to work.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Web search engine for FBSD/Apache

3. How to change permissions on a dos mounted drive

4. Anonymous news item posting: How to implement it

5. write permission on a FAT32 USB drive

6. Linux & ISDN

7. USB drive problems (permissions)

8. cdrom is wech?

9. changing permissions on mounted hfs volume..

10. How to change mounted floppy permissions?

11. Unable to change permissions on mounted DOS partition?

12. Inability to change permissions of mounted partition

13. changing permissions to a mount point