Latest RedHat release - I am a little confused

Latest RedHat release - I am a little confused

Post by Jac » Wed, 15 May 2002 23:15:53

OK,

I am a bit confused, I just ran up2date, and downloaded ( and I
thought installed) the latest kernel.

I have verified that lilo.conf is pointing to the latest version in my
/boot directory - this version is a file named vmlinuz-2.4.9-31 dated
Feb 28 (no year so I presume 2002).

So, when I run "uname -a" why don't I see "2.2.1.9" in the description
I am assuming that the latest kernel is the one listed here
http://www.linux.org.uk
this would make me think that my kernel should be labeled 2.2.1X
(maybe 2.2.1[789])

here is the output of uname -a

Linux localhost.localhost 2.4.9-31 #1 Tue Feb 26 07:11:02 EST 2002
i686 unknown

Is this the latest kernel (via RedHat 7.3) or not ?

why is this kernel labeled 2.4.X, when supposedly the latest kernel is
2.2.X

Or, Am I simply a complete idiot ?

Latest RedHat release - I am a little confused

Post by Sly Me » Thu, 16 May 2002 02:02:54

On Tue, 14 May 2002 09:15:53 -0500, Jack said:

Quote:> OK,

> I am a bit confused, I just ran up2date, and downloaded ( and I thought
> installed) the latest kernel.

> I have verified that lilo.conf is pointing to the latest version in my
> /boot directory - this version is a file named vmlinuz-2.4.9-31 dated
> Feb 28 (no year so I presume 2002).

> So, when I run "uname -a" why don't I see "2.2.1.9" in the description I
> am assuming that the latest kernel is the one listed here
> http://www.linux.org.uk
> this would make me think that my kernel should be labeled 2.2.1X (maybe
> 2.2.1[789])

> here is the output of uname -a

> Linux localhost.localhost 2.4.9-31 #1 Tue Feb 26 07:11:02 EST 2002 i686
> unknown

> Is this the latest kernel (via RedHat 7.3) or not ?

> why is this kernel labeled 2.4.X, when supposedly the latest kernel is
> 2.2.X

> Or, Am I simply a complete idiot ?

You _ARE_ confused. I went to public school, so maybe my math is poor.
But I always thought 4 was bigger than 2.

If you download 2.4.X and install it, why would you be looking for 2.2.X
in a uname? More importantly, 2.4 is bigger than 2.2. Using a little of
me own public school math, I would take that to mean that 2.4 is later in
numbering than 2.2. If I am correct, you shouldn't be looking for
2.2.anything if you are using a 2.4 kernel.

Secondly, if you have been using a 2.4 kernel, then you go and install a
2.2. kernel, some things are going to break. Not to mention that the 2.2.
version should complain loudly about dependencies and refuse to install
without --force applied.

As for why the link contains news about the 2.2. series and nothing
(directly) about the 2.4 series is something they'll have to answer to.
But if you follow the Linux Today link just below that, it will take you
to an article for May 14 about a 2.4 series kernel as well. And if you
follow the Alan's Diary link, it will take you to notes which show the
2.4 series is being actively worked on, with a little dabblling for 2.2.

--
We are what we eat; I'm cheap, fast, and easy.

Latest RedHat release - I am a little confused

Post by Matt Shelt » Thu, 16 May 2002 06:27:12

The lasted RedHat kernel (included in 7.3) is 2.4.18.  It will change
depending on what version of RedHat you have.  Perhaps you have
misunderstood www.linux.org.uk.

Matt Shelton

> OK,

> I am a bit confused, I just ran up2date, and downloaded ( and I
> thought installed) the latest kernel.

> I have verified that lilo.conf is pointing to the latest version in my
> /boot directory - this version is a file named vmlinuz-2.4.9-31 dated
> Feb 28 (no year so I presume 2002).

> So, when I run "uname -a" why don't I see "2.2.1.9" in the description
> I am assuming that the latest kernel is the one listed here
> http://www.linux.org.uk
> this would make me think that my kernel should be labeled 2.2.1X
> (maybe 2.2.1[789])

> here is the output of uname -a

> Linux localhost.localhost 2.4.9-31 #1 Tue Feb 26 07:11:02 EST 2002
> i686 unknown

> Is this the latest kernel (via RedHat 7.3) or not ?

> why is this kernel labeled 2.4.X, when supposedly the latest kernel is
> 2.2.X

> Or, Am I simply a complete idiot ?

1. Little confused...

What is the generally best way to set a socket to nonblocking mode.
(Im using solaris 7).

I thought it would be ioctl, but i cant seem to find the options in the
man pages.

thanx,
  brian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. AAAAAARRRRRGGHHH!!!!

3. Very confused about latest NFS version

4. Step-by-Step Apache install HELP?

5. i am confused: DIP, SLIP, PPP, TCP ....

6. where can i get these..STRING.H,STDIO.H,NNTP.H,CONF.H,PWD.H

7. I am confused about Sendmail.

8. java compiler

9. DIFFERENT RESULTS: I am confused!

10. I was cracked, and am somewhat confused...

11. Disk Recovery and lde: Am I horribly confused?

12. Now, I am happy, but confused...