/dev/lp0: not detected ?

Post by Ron Jacob » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 06:32:25

hi there,

i installed pnm2ppa-1.04.i386.rpm

after "printool" (in gnome as 'root')
and clicked add local printer i got the following text

/dev/lp0: not detected
/dev/lp1: not detected
/dev/lp2: not detected

i clicked ok (i wanted to see furhter)

the hp 720 or 720c was not in the list

(i read some files in pnm2ppa-1.04.i386.rpm)

and tried the following in text-mode (login as root)

detect_ppa

the following return

*** script for testing installation of ppa print on linux
(requires 2.2.x kernel or later)
/usr/bin/detect_ppa: argument: command not found
*** errot cannot load/unload kernal module(s)
You must run this script as root

? i don't now wat it is,maybe is the hardware not detected right ? (see
/dev/lp0: not detected en so on)

hope you can help me

thanks

/dev/lp0: not detected ?

Post by root » Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:48:10

I had the same problem with the 2.2.12-20 kernel in RH6.1 and the reason
was that the kernel was not compiled for parport support and lp... I
reconfured and recompiled my kernel and everything worked granted I have
a Postscript printer...

Luben

> hi there,

> i installed pnm2ppa-1.04.i386.rpm

> after "printool" (in gnome as 'root')
> and clicked add local printer i got the following text

> /dev/lp0: not detected
> /dev/lp1: not detected
> /dev/lp2: not detected

> i clicked ok (i wanted to see furhter)

> the hp 720 or 720c was not in the list

> (i read some files in pnm2ppa-1.04.i386.rpm)

> and tried the following in text-mode (login as root)

> detect_ppa

> the following return

> *** script for testing installation of ppa print on linux
> (requires 2.2.x kernel or later)
> /usr/bin/detect_ppa: argument: command not found
> *** errot cannot load/unload kernal module(s)
> You must run this script as root

> ? i don't now wat it is,maybe is the hardware not detected right ? (see
> /dev/lp0: not detected en so on)

> hope you can help me

> thanks

/dev/lp0: not detected ?

Post by Joste » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 06:56:01

I forgot to add the alias so it is:

/etc/module.conf and in it:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

--

/dev/lp0: not detected ?

Post by Joste » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 06:53:42

Create file text file /etc/modules.conf and put in it:
parport_lowlevel parport_pc

That may work...I had to do that to get my printer to work.

--

1. Red Hat 5.1 and /dev/lp0: Not detected

When I intalled Red Hat Linux 5.1, it asked if I would like to
install a printer. I chose to install a local printer at LPT1
and picked HP LaserJet 4/5/6 series as my printer model.
(My printer is a HP LaterJet 6L)
And then, a window popped up and at the bottom it said that

/dev/lp0: Not detected
/dev/lp1: Not detected
/dev/lp2: Not detected

Is it a problem? If yes, could anyone please tell me how I can fix it?
Thanks.

- Yuan-Jing

2. More messing up under Xfree 1.3

3. /dev/lp0 Not detected !

4. how do I set up a mailing list?

5. Can't print; /dev/lp0 not detected; procfs?

6. Printing woes...

7. /dev/lp0 not detected in redhat 6.1

8. Cable modem + Linux + Win95 home net - finally works

9. /dev/lp0 not detected...

10. Printtool not seeing my printer on /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1 or /dev/lp2

11. dev/lp0 (or lp1 or lp2) not detected for printer

12. /dev/lp0 nor /dev/lp1 getting detected

13. ls > /dev/lp0 fails--but /dev/lp0 exists