SMB, printing over smb, kcmshell smb fail on Red Hat 7.3

SMB, printing over smb, kcmshell smb fail on Red Hat 7.3

Post by Fred Goldstei » Fri, 17 May 2002 22:02:36

I have just installed Red Hat 7.3, replacing Mandrake 8.2 (whose KDE3
upgrade wasn't quite working right).  I reformatted / and /boot while
leaving /home intact,.  In many respects 7.3 works very well.  It looks
good and works in most respects. But I can't get it to print.

I don't hook the printer to my machine directly; this is my home system, and
there's a Win98 box in the same room, connected via Ethernet.  I use smb to
print to the Epson via that machine; in Windows, it's a no-brainer, and
Network Neighborhood "just works".  When I installed Mandrake (8.1 and 8.2
both), I was impressed by how well it handled that arrangement.  But when I
installed Red Hat 7.3, anaconda never even asked me about printers.  It
just installed a zillion packages (custom selected) and finished.

I note that during one attempt to install, anaconda hung trying to read
lprng-3.8.9 (or whatever) off of the install CD (which I had burned from an
iso download).  And since anaconda locks the drive (a MAJOR problem), I had
to red-button restart and select all packages again, reformat, etc. And of
course I unselected lprng.  I don't know if that's the problem; is it
needed for smb printing?  Kpackage sees it on the cd and lists its files,
but doesn't seem to offer the "install" button.

Any clues are much appreciated!  Thanks.

Post by Dan Stanl » Tue, 28 May 2002 13:31:06

> I have just installed Red Hat 7.3, replacing Mandrake 8.2 (whose KDE3
> upgrade wasn't quite working right).  I reformatted / and /boot while
> leaving /home intact,.  In many respects 7.3 works very well.  It looks
> good and works in most respects. But I can't get it to print.

> I don't hook the printer to my machine directly; this is my home system, and
> there's a Win98 box in the same room, connected via Ethernet.  I use smb to
> print to the Epson via that machine; in Windows, it's a no-brainer, and
> Network Neighborhood "just works".  When I installed Mandrake (8.1 and 8.2
> both), I was impressed by how well it handled that arrangement.  But when I
> installed Red Hat 7.3, anaconda never even asked me about printers.  It
> just installed a zillion packages (custom selected) and finished.

> I note that during one attempt to install, anaconda hung trying to read
> lprng-3.8.9 (or whatever) off of the install CD (which I had burned from an
> iso download).  And since anaconda locks the drive (a MAJOR problem), I had
> to red-button restart and select all packages again, reformat, etc. And of
> course I unselected lprng.  I don't know if that's the problem; is it
> needed for smb printing?  Kpackage sees it on the cd and lists its files,
> but doesn't seem to offer the "install" button.

> Any clues are much appreciated!  Thanks.

Hi,
YOu do need a printing deamon.  The LPRng is the RedHat default.
Since you didn't install one yet you could go grab some fresh lpr, or
LPRng rpms and install them.
Samba, as an FYI, will only send jobs to the printing deamon.  It will
not do the actuall grunt printing work.
Hope this helps.
~Dan

1. Can connect to smb://192.168.0.112/share but not smb://NYS/share

In Konqueror I get an error if I try to browse the windows network.
The error is that the network is unreachable.

However while at the smb:// prompt I can type
smb://192.168.0.112/ShareName and pull up a windows share on this
machine fine.  However if I try and enter smb://NYW/Sharename to
connect to the same share it just hangs (NYW is the computer at
192.168.0.112)

I am not sure if this is an issue with my samba config file(the server
side of samba works fine, I can access the linux shares from windows
fine) or if this is an error with my network configuration.

I think this might be a netbios issue.  If I ping "NYW" I get "unknown
host NYW."  However if I ping "NYW.JJ.COM" I get a response.  I am
thinking that I need to resolve that first.  Is that correct?  If so
how do I fix this so that it either appends my domain name to all DNS
lookups or uses netbios to find the machine.

I included a copy of the top of my smb.conf just in case the problem
lies there.

Rich
--------------
# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full
commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SuSE
# Date: 2004-04-06
[global]
workgroup = JJ
interfaces = 127.0.0.1 eth0
bind interfaces only = yes

map to guest = Bad User
security = server
password server = NYS
server string = Samba Serv
domain master = no
local master = no
restrict anonymous = no
preferred master = no
max protocol = NT
ldap ssl = No
server signing = Auto

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
read only = no
msdfs proxy = no
browseable = no

[users]
comment = All users
read only = no
inherit permissions = yes
veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
msdfs proxy = no

[groups]
comment = All groups
path = /home/groups
read only = no
inherit permissions = yes
msdfs proxy = no

[pdf]
comment = PDF creator
path = /var/tmp
printable = yes
print command = /usr/bin/smbprngenpdf -J '%J' -c %c -s %s -u '%u' -z
%z
create mask = 0600

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/tmp
printable = yes
create mask = 0600
browseable = no

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/drivers

force group = ntadmin
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775

2. (no subject)

3. should restart smb each time the smb.conf changed

4. Problem with OpenSSH on SCO OSR 5.0.6

5. Such a thing as "Secure" SMB, ie encrypted SMB?

6. crontab

7. smbsh /smb: Do I create the directory /smb

8. List Serv

9. SMB install problems Red Hat 5.2

10. conection to SERVER failed - smb conection failed

11. SMB mount error - :protocol negotiation failed

12. samba, smb FAILED

13. SMB Connection Failed?!?! Please help...