Hoping against hope: RH on a Toshiba 2520 CDS

Hoping against hope: RH on a Toshiba 2520 CDS

Post by Jean-Paul Thuo » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 06:15:30

Hello all,

I am the proud owner of a Toshiba Satellite 2520 CDS.  I have been all
over the linuxlaptop.net site and as many others as I could find.  I know
that RH can be installed on this system, but the big issue is the modem.
I must have the modem working, as it will be my only system very soon.

The websites I've read seem to say that this machine's modem will not
work in Linux.  However, a lot of those lists are a bit old, so I'm
wondering if anyone here has ever gotten it to work on this model, or
ever heard of it working.

I am hoping that v7.3 may have better support for these winmodems, but
would like to hear back from anyone on this group.  Otherwise I am going
to be stuck in MicroSlop land until I can scrape the dough together to
get a new computer, a prospect that has me shaking in my boots.

TIA,

Jean-Paul
--
-------
I have found the missing link between ape and human: it is us.

(to reply, remove the whiterabbit)

Post by Gary M. Letchinge » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 00:45:09

> Hello all,

> I am the proud owner of a Toshiba Satellite 2520 CDS.  I have been all
> over the linuxlaptop.net site and as many others as I could find.  I know
> that RH can be installed on this system, but the big issue is the modem.
> I must have the modem working, as it will be my only system very soon.

> The websites I've read seem to say that this machine's modem will not
> work in Linux.  However, a lot of those lists are a bit old, so I'm
> wondering if anyone here has ever gotten it to work on this model, or
> ever heard of it working.

> I am hoping that v7.3 may have better support for these winmodems, but
> would like to hear back from anyone on this group.  Otherwise I am going
> to be stuck in MicroSlop land until I can scrape the dough together to
> get a new computer, a prospect that has me shaking in my boots.

> TIA,

> Jean-Paul

Why not just get a different modem, such as an external modem or a supported
PC Card modem?

--
/**********************************************************************\
*  Gary M. Letchinger

1. internal modem probs.-Toshiba Sat 2520 CDT

Hello all,

I can't get my internal modem to work under SuSE Linux 6.0
on my Tosh. Sat2520CDT notebook.
I'm sure it's not a Winmodem (just a "normal" K56/V90).
Under Windows it uses
COM2, Interrupt 3, port 1440, uart 16550A without problems.

I tried this (and lots of other) settings with "setserial"
without success.

Some "example" errors:

cu -l /dev/modem => open (/dev/modem): Operation not supported by device
                 => line in use
seyon -modem /dev/modem => unable to obtain modem status
                        => unable to read from the modem or tty
                        => "lots of ioctl...Input/output errors"
minicom hangs after starting.

Any idea???
Thanx in advance...
--
Martin Klenke           NEUE MAILADRESSE !!!

http://www.geogr.uni-jena.de/~c5makl/

2. HELP with ftp install

3. Hi-Val (JVC) CD-R any hope under Linux?

4. "laplink" like USB file transfer

5. NEC CDR84 audio CDs? Any hope?

6. Networking info, where?

7. quick (i hope ) cd question (mitsumi again)

8. Help with bootp errors.

9. Funai 2520

10. Trouble with a Daimond 2520 (AT24) video card

11. stupid question (i hope)

12. Simple fix I hope..!

13. I hope NTLDR isn't what I think it is.