Windows to Linux convert - HELP!!!!

Post by Ab » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 06:55:55

I'm trying to set up a Linux server (Red Hat v7.2).  I've installed
the software and it boots without any problems until I get to the
login screen.  There seems to be some kind of conflict somewhere
because the screen display keeps disappearing and keyboard entries
will only register whilst the display is visible.  This means that I
cannot login because I can only type approx. 2 characters at a time,
by the time the display comes back the login has timed out.  Any
suggestions ?!?!?!

Windows to Linux convert - HELP!!!!

Post by Rinaldi J. Montess » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:35:50

Quote:> I'm trying to set up a Linux server (Red Hat v7.2).  I've installed
> the software and it boots without any problems until I get to the
> login screen.  There seems to be some kind of conflict somewhere
> because the screen display keeps disappearing and keyboard entries
> will only register whilst the display is visible.  This means that I
> cannot login because I can only type approx. 2 characters at a time,
> by the time the display comes back the login has timed out.  Any
> suggestions ?!?!?!

If you cntl+alt f2 do you get a login terminal?  I suspect you're trying to
do an X login and something in your X config is borked.

Just guessing as the info provided was rather slim.

Rinaldi
--
By all means marry. If you get a good wife you will become happy,
and if you get a bad one you will become a philosopher. --Socrates

Post by Timothy Murph » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 22:05:35

> If you cntl+alt f2 do you get a login terminal?  I suspect you're trying
> to do an X login and something in your X config is borked.

I agree.

If you get a text login, you could try running redhat-config-xfree86 .
I think this has replaced XConfigurator on RedHat systems.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-86-233 6090

Windows to Linux convert - HELP!!!!

Post by Chri » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 06:06:49

They made that change, amonsgt others like it in Red Hat 9. Does
anybody know why they changed that? I know I can make symbolic links
to all those, but it seems prety odd to change that, which I think is
standard in most distros, I could be wrong though.

> > If you cntl+alt f2 do you get a login terminal?  I suspect you're trying
> > to do an X login and something in your X config is borked.

> I agree.

> If you get a text login, you could try running redhat-config-xfree86 .
> I think this has replaced XConfigurator on RedHat systems.

1. A Linux user converts back to Windows; was Re: Converting a few Windows users...

Come on Peter you have to admit that the original post reads like a
'religious zealot' telling us all of his latest attempts to convert
unbelievers to cause......

As an alternative have a read of this.....

A Linux user goes back.
By Tony kNIGits Collins.

Introduction...
In much of today's online news, we hear of how many people are migrating
to GNU/Linux. What we don't seem to hear much of, is users going back to
their old operating systems. The reason for this article is to say that
I've done just that.

Yes, I've gone back. After three and a half years of trying to make
GNU/Linux work on the desktop, I've decided that it's simply too hard
for the average home user. Before I go into my reasons for going back,
let me outline what I believe an 'average' home user is. Mr Joe Average
is someone who wants to install their OS, boot it up, and it works. He
wants to be able to upgrade his PC , and have the hardware work in a few
short minutes. He wants to read email, browse the web, talk to his mates
online, and play some games. Feel free to disagree with me, this is
merely how I see myself. Note: I'm not referring to Grandma using Linux,
or even my mum using it. I'm referring to average users who know a
little about their computer.

Three and a half years; that's how long I've been trying to make Linux
work on my desktop computer. Right about now, I'm sure that you are now
screaming that I didn't try hard enough, or that I'm just plain stupid.
Let me assure you that this is not the case. Stupid users don't doggedly
stick at something for three and a half years, trying distribution after
distribution in the hope of finding the holy grail of Linux desktops.
They give up in less than a few hours of trying to (unsuccessfully)
install RedHat Linux. Hear now my sad tale of why Linux isn't suitable
for my desktop.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~knigits/articles/switched_back.html

-----------------------------
# Been there, done that. Linux will not take me where I want to go. I
hung all the Linux CDs in my grape vines to keep the birds away.
Mike, alt.os.windows-xp

See Found Images at :

2. Repost: PCI bus not discovered during boot on RH 8.0

3. HowTo convert Windows Help to Unix Answerbook type help

4. RH vs Slackware

5. To convert...and convert...and convert again

6. UPDATED RESOURCE: Driver development FAQs

7. Please Kindly Help: Convert Windows Text Files With VI

8. 2.5.25 I2C driver id and Config updates

9. HowTo Convert Help files Windows to Unix

10. reading/converting Windows-Help-Files

11. Help: converting a float unix motorola in float windows intel

12. HELP: Convert UNIX path Windows

13. Need help accessing shared files in window on Linux and windows printer on Linux.