How to run a window manager on my windows machine?

How to run a window manager on my windows machine?

Post by ros » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:30:50

Hi,

I installed sshd on my redhat box. And I want to run the window
manager (I currently use KDE) through a ssh client and exceed7.0 on
another machine running windows2000. Now I can run xterm and netscape
and other X programs on the windows2000 machine through the ssh
connection and the exceed X server. But when I tried to run "kde" or
"kwm", it said there is already a window manager running and refused
me to run another copy of the window manager.

Is there any way to solve this problem? If make my linux box booting
up without starting X is the only option, how to disable X auto-start
at the system booting up?

Thanks a lot.

Rose

How to run a window manager on my windows machine?

Post by S C Rigl » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 04:32:17

I believe that "kwin" is the Window Manager for KDE.  It shouldn't
matter whether or not X is already running on your Linux box
because the X server you set your display to is on the PC.  It is
probably complaining because Exceed's Window Manager is already
running.

-S

Quote:>Hi,

>I installed sshd on my redhat box. And I want to run the window
>manager (I currently use KDE) through a ssh client and exceed7.0 on
>another machine running windows2000. Now I can run xterm and netscape
>and other X programs on the windows2000 machine through the ssh
>connection and the exceed X server. But when I tried to run "kde" or
>"kwm", it said there is already a window manager running and refused
>me to run another copy of the window manager.

>Is there any way to solve this problem? If make my linux box booting
>up without starting X is the only option, how to disable X auto-start
>at the system booting up?

>Thanks a lot.

>Rose

How to run a window manager on my windows machine?

Try "startkde".

--

james.knott.

How to run a window manager on my windows machine?

Post by 242 » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:33:39

Quote:> Hi,

> I installed sshd on my redhat box. And I want to run the window
> manager (I currently use KDE) through a ssh client and exceed7.0 on
> another machine running windows2000. Now I can run xterm and netscape
> and other X programs on the windows2000 machine through the ssh
> connection and the exceed X server. But when I tried to run "kde" or
> "kwm", it said there is already a window manager running and refused
> me to run another copy of the window manager.

> Is there any way to solve this problem? If make my linux box booting
> up without starting X is the only option, how to disable X auto-start
> at the system booting up?

> Thanks a lot.

> Rose

i believe you need to change the runlevel to 3 (please correct me if wrong)
to not start X on boot, i think 5 is the graphical (xwin) startup.  i'm sure
someone here knows for sure

How to run a window manager on my windows machine?

Post by Ming H » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:07:34

You need to check exceed 7.0 to see if it allow remote windows manager,
since exceed itself can be window manager.
X-win32 5.1 can allow remote window manager.  Although the operation is
not the way I want.

Edit /etc/inittab, and change the default runlevel from 5 to 3.

> I installed sshd on my redhat box. And I want to run the window
> manager (I currently use KDE) through a ssh client and exceed7.0 on
> another machine running windows2000. Now I can run xterm and netscape
> and other X programs on the windows2000 machine through the ssh
> connection and the exceed X server. But when I tried to run "kde" or
> "kwm", it said there is already a window manager running and refused
> me to run another copy of the window manager.

> Is there any way to solve this problem? If make my linux box booting
> up without starting X is the only option, how to disable X auto-start
> at the system booting up?

How to run a window manager on my windows machine?

Post by Phil Black » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:39:35

If you want to display your desktop on the remote machine VNC would be
the best option rather than a remote XServer.  You may be able to set
up KDE so it does not try and start its own window manager but it is
probably not worth it.

VNC: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Phil

> I believe that "kwin" is the Window Manager for KDE.  It shouldn't
> matter whether or not X is already running on your Linux box
> because the X server you set your display to is on the PC.  It is
> probably complaining because Exceed's Window Manager is already
> running.

> -S

> >Hi,

> >I installed sshd on my redhat box. And I want to run the window
> >manager (I currently use KDE) through a ssh client and exceed7.0 on
> >another machine running windows2000. Now I can run xterm and netscape
> >and other X programs on the windows2000 machine through the ssh
> >connection and the exceed X server. But when I tried to run "kde" or
> >"kwm", it said there is already a window manager running and refused
> >me to run another copy of the window manager.

> >Is there any way to solve this problem? If make my linux box booting
> >up without starting X is the only option, how to disable X auto-start
> >at the system booting up?

> >Thanks a lot.

> >Rose

How to run a window manager on my windows machine?

Post by ros » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 02:18:39

Hi,

Lots of thanks to everybody's help. Now I can enjoy hacking the linux
box with all X features through an ssh connection from my windows2000
machine to the linux box in my dorm. :)

btw, dear Ming He, are you a chinese? I am a chinese student too.

> You need to check exceed 7.0 to see if it allow remote windows manager,
> since exceed itself can be window manager.
> X-win32 5.1 can allow remote window manager.  Although the operation is
> not the way I want.

> Edit /etc/inittab, and change the default runlevel from 5 to 3.

> > I installed sshd on my redhat box. And I want to run the window
> > manager (I currently use KDE) through a ssh client and exceed7.0 on
> > another machine running windows2000. Now I can run xterm and netscape
> > and other X programs on the windows2000 machine through the ssh
> > connection and the exceed X server. But when I tried to run "kde" or
> > "kwm", it said there is already a window manager running and refused
> > me to run another copy of the window manager.

> > Is there any way to solve this problem? If make my linux box booting
> > up without starting X is the only option, how to disable X auto-start
> > at the system booting up?

How to run a window manager on my windows machine?

Post by Ming H » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:43:31

VNC is remote control, so it's not native to X.  And I assume vnc is slower than remote X?

> If you want to display your desktop on the remote machine VNC would be
> the best option rather than a remote XServer.  You may be able to set
> up KDE so it does not try and start its own window manager but it is
> probably not worth it.

> VNC: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

> Phil

> > I believe that "kwin" is the Window Manager for KDE.  It shouldn't
> > matter whether or not X is already running on your Linux box
> > because the X server you set your display to is on the PC.  It is
> > probably complaining because Exceed's Window Manager is already
> > running.

> > -S

> > >Hi,

> > >I installed sshd on my redhat box. And I want to run the window
> > >manager (I currently use KDE) through a ssh client and exceed7.0 on
> > >another machine running windows2000. Now I can run xterm and netscape
> > >and other X programs on the windows2000 machine through the ssh
> > >connection and the exceed X server. But when I tried to run "kde" or
> > >"kwm", it said there is already a window manager running and refused
> > >me to run another copy of the window manager.

> > >Is there any way to solve this problem? If make my linux box booting
> > >up without starting X is the only option, how to disable X auto-start
> > >at the system booting up?

> > >Thanks a lot.

> > >Rose

1. How to run a window manager on my windows machine?

Hi,

I installed sshd on my redhat box. And I want to run the window
manager (I currently use KDE) through a ssh client and exceed7.0 on
another machine running windows2000. Now I can run xterm and netscape
and other X programs on the windows2000 machine through the ssh
connection and the exceed X server. But when I tried to run "kde" or
"kwm", it said there is already a window manager running and refused
me to run another copy of the window manager.

Is there any way to solve this problem? If make my linux box booting
up without starting X is the only option, how to disable X auto-start
at the system booting up?

Thanks a lot.

Rose

2. AIX printing from W95

3. how do you open other window managers in a window manager

5. Running xdm/window manager on remote machine

6. admin/systems programmer, where do you draw the line?

7. Can I run window managers well from remote machine?

8. kernel ppp

9. Windows-like window manager?

10. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

11. Window System Hangs When Using CDE + olwm Window Manager

12. Sawfish Window Manager - not raising windows when focussed

13. window manager focus and window stack