Newbie broke Linux in just 2.5days

Post by Jon Mayna » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:51:49

Must be some kind of record. I just finished rebuilding my box as a
dual boot Win2000\RedHat 7.2, because I installed some updated
software that caused Linux to boot to safe mode and would not let me
log in. I'm sure someone could have showed me how to fix it, but it
was easier for me just to rebuild. I put a different video card in
after I installed (because it supports OpenGL) and everything went
fine to the point where Linux asked me if I wanted X to start on boot.
I'm thinking no since it boots to KDE. The next time I reboot and
presto I am at a command prompt and I can't get to KDE desktop. I
finally figured out how to run "startx" command and was able to get
in. My question is how do I get the KDE desktop to come up
automatically on boot. I looked for the anaconda file (I think that's
the file I need to modify) and could not find it on the hard drive, is
it a hidden file?
Also I tried to install a few network tools on my machine and the
command "./configure" failed due to no "gcc" or "cc". Wine also failed
to start due to a dependancy for "OpenGL". I have been trying to
figure out the OpenGL issue in Linux for a couple of weeks now. That's
the main reason why I screwed up the first installation. Anyone have
any detailed instructions on installing "OpenGL" for *? Sorry for
all the questions, looks like I am learning Linux by the school of
hard knocks.

Jon

Post by Ray Taylo » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:10:11

> Linux asked me if I wanted X to start on boot. I'm thinking no since it
> boots to KDE. The next time I reboot and presto I am at a command prompt
> and I can't get to KDE desktop. I finally figured out how to run
> "startx" command and was able to get in. My question is how do I get the
> KDE desktop to come up automatically on boot.

As root, look at your /etc/inittab file.  Look toward the bottom for an
entry similar to:
# Run xdm in runlevel 5
# xdm is now a separate service
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Yours probably has "x:3:respawn blah blah blah", change the 3 to a 5.

Quote:> I looked for the anaconda
> file (I think that's the file I need to modify) and could not find it on
> the hard drive, is it a hidden file?

Anaconda is the installer.

Quote:> Also I tried to install a few network tools on my machine and the
> command "./configure" failed due to no "gcc" or "cc". Wine also failed

Install gcc.  Mount your CDROM, look in the RPMS directory for
gcc-objc-2.96-98
gcc-g77-2.96-98
gcc-c++-2.96-98
gcc-2.96-98

You may only need the last one.

--
- Ray
- Disclaimer: This is my understanding.  I have been wrong before.  A lot.

Post by Chri » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 05:25:31

> > Linux asked me if I wanted X to start on boot. I'm thinking no since it
> > boots to KDE. The next time I reboot and presto I am at a command prompt
> > and I can't get to KDE desktop. I finally figured out how to run
> > "startx" command and was able to get in. My question is how do I get the
> > KDE desktop to come up automatically on boot.

> As root, look at your /etc/inittab file.  Look toward the bottom for an
> entry similar to:
> # Run xdm in runlevel 5
> # xdm is now a separate service
> x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

> Yours probably has "x:3:respawn blah blah blah", change the 3 to a 5.

> > I looked for the anaconda
> > file (I think that's the file I need to modify) and could not find it on
> > the hard drive, is it a hidden file?

> Anaconda is the installer.

> > Also I tried to install a few network tools on my machine and the
> > command "./configure" failed due to no "gcc" or "cc". Wine also failed

> Install gcc.  Mount your CDROM, look in the RPMS directory for
> gcc-objc-2.96-98
> gcc-g77-2.96-98
> gcc-c++-2.96-98
> gcc-2.96-98

> You may only need the last one.

Actually, you'll want to change the line that says "id:3:initdefault:"
and replace the 3 with a 5.

Chris

Post by Jon Mayna » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 08:13:41

> > Linux asked me if I wanted X to start on boot. I'm thinking no since it
> > boots to KDE. The next time I reboot and presto I am at a command prompt
> > and I can't get to KDE desktop. I finally figured out how to run
> > "startx" command and was able to get in. My question is how do I get the
> > KDE desktop to come up automatically on boot.

> As root, look at your /etc/inittab file.  Look toward the bottom for an
> entry similar to:
> # Run xdm in runlevel 5
> # xdm is now a separate service
> x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

> Yours probably has "x:3:respawn blah blah blah", change the 3 to a 5.

I looked at this file and it shows this value as 5.

Quote:

> > I looked for the anaconda
> > file (I think that's the file I need to modify) and could not find it on
> > the hard drive, is it a hidden file?

> Anaconda is the installer.

> > Also I tried to install a few network tools on my machine and the
> > command "./configure" failed due to no "gcc" or "cc". Wine also failed

> Install gcc.  Mount your CDROM, look in the RPMS directory for
> gcc-objc-2.96-98
> gcc-g77-2.96-98
> gcc-c++-2.96-98
> gcc-2.96-98

> You may only need the last one.

I installed the last one and it had three dependencies and I installed
two of those and the third had another dependency. Finally installed
all of them and tried again, then it popped up an error after
./configure that wanted GTX and Glib-config. Found a GTX+ rpm but
after installing it still gave me the same error. I think I need to
start from scratch again, reinstall RH 7.2 and select developement
tools this time. Thanks again for the help.

Newbie broke Linux in just 2.5days

Post by Simon Matthew » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 08:44:07

Quote:

> I installed the last one and it had three dependencies and I installed
> two of those and the third had another dependency. Finally installed
> all of them and tried again, then it popped up an error after
> ./configure that wanted GTX and Glib-config. Found a GTX+ rpm but
> after installing it still gave me the same error. I think I need to
> start from scratch again, reinstall RH 7.2 and select developement
> tools this time. Thanks again for the help.

NO, NO, NO!

You don't need to re-install. You just need to find the correct package.
Sometimes the package names are not at all obvious. Are you going to
re-0install every time you find you have missed something?

You can use the "find RPM" search on RedHat's web site (from the front
"Download" and go to the bottom of the resulting page). Make sure you
click on "Advanced search" and select "Provided packages". Then enter the
package that rpm claims is required into the box and search.

Now you know what the package is called, you can find it on your RH CDs
and use "rpm -U <package filename>"

Simon