"file not found" reported for executables that exist

"file not found" reported for executables that exist

Post by J » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 12:23:19

Recently I installed RedHat 7.0 on a vanilla Pentium that had been
running RedHat 6.1 for months.  The install seemed to go smoothly,
and the machine seemed just fine for about a week or so.  Then I
started receiving bizarre "file not found" errors for executables
that did exist.

For example, I'd try to run 'ps', and I'd get "file not found" even
though (1) it did exist, (2) it was in my PATH, (3) it had its execute
permissions turned on, and (4) 'ldd /bin/ps' and 'file /bin/ps' had no
problem reading the file and providing me with valid information about
it.

Things went downhill from there.  'fsck' reported no problems with any
of the partitions, but /var/log disappeared--I have no idea why--and in
the end I wound up re-installing RedHat 7.0.  Re-format the disk, check
all the blocks, the whole she-bang.  Again, the install went smoothly,
and all the disk checks came up clean.

But now I'm receiving bizarre error messages again.  This time, it's
/usr/local/office52/user/sofficerc that's the source of the errors.
I re-installed StarOffice, using a fresh download from Sun, and the
install was uneventful... but now attempting to start StarOffice
results in a dialog claiming "the following file could not be found!"
As with /bin/ps earlier, the file does exist, does have appropriate
permissions, and can be read by utilities such as 'more'.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Better yet, anyone know of a solution?

-JC

Post by James Richard Tyre » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 16:09:45

> Recently I installed RedHat 7.0 on a vanilla Pentium that had been
> running RedHat 6.1 for months.  The install seemed to go smoothly,
> and the machine seemed just fine for about a week or so.  Then I
> started receiving bizarre "file not found" errors for executables
> that did exist.

> For example, I'd try to run 'ps', and I'd get "file not found" even
> though (1) it did exist, (2) it was in my PATH, (3) it had its execute
> permissions turned on, and (4) 'ldd /bin/ps' and 'file /bin/ps' had no
> problem reading the file and providing me with valid information about
> it.

> Things went downhill from there.  'fsck' reported no problems with any
> of the partitions, but /var/log disappeared--I have no idea why--and in
> the end I wound up re-installing RedHat 7.0.  Re-format the disk, check
> all the blocks, the whole she-bang.  Again, the install went smoothly,
> and all the disk checks came up clean.

> But now I'm receiving bizarre error messages again.  This time, it's
> /usr/local/office52/user/sofficerc that's the source of the errors.
> I re-installed StarOffice, using a fresh download from Sun, and the
> install was uneventful... but now attempting to start StarOffice
> results in a dialog claiming "the following file could not be found!"
> As with /bin/ps earlier, the file does exist, does have appropriate
> permissions, and can be read by utilities such as 'more'.

If you are certain that the offending executables have permission:
root:root:755 and are on the current PATH, then:

I suspect hardware problems with your hard disk and/or controller.

There is also a slight possibility of configuration problems with the
controller.

You might try [as root] changing to the directory that the executable is
in and executing it with the "./" prefix and/or trying it with the full
path: e.g. "/usr/local/bin/command".

JRT

JRT

1. PATCH: eisa reports "0 device" not "0 devices"

Since it gets 1 device right it wasnt hard to fix 8)

diff -u --new-file --recursive --exclude-from /usr/src/exclude linux-2.5.65-bk3/drivers/eisa/eisa-bus.c linux-2.5.65-ac3/drivers/eisa/eisa-bus.c
--- linux-2.5.65-bk3/drivers/eisa/eisa-bus.c    2003-03-22 19:33:35.000000000 +0000

                        eisa_register_device (root, str, i);
                 }
         }
-        printk (KERN_INFO "EISA: Detected %d card%s.\n", c, c < 2 ? "" : "s");
+        printk (KERN_INFO "EISA: Detected %d card%s.\n", c, c == 1 ? "" : "s");

        return 0;
 }
-

2. ONC RPC

4. Upgrading to RH 6.2

5. Security question: "Text file busy" overwriting executables but not shared libraries?

6. Wheres the FAQ???

8. where is Afterstep .steprc file located?

9. Security question: "Text file busy" overwriting executables but not shared libraries?

10. "find" and "locate" commands not working, linux RH5.2

11. CygWin - PATH finds "myscript.sh" but not "myscript"

12. floppy25.fs can't find HD (buslogic scsi -"disk does not exist")

13. "etho init delayed" " symbol for parameter io not found" Help .....