up2date problem - Redhat Linux 7.0 identification file

up2date problem - Redhat Linux 7.0 identification file

Post by Davi » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:36:55

I am running Redhat Linux 7.0.  I was reading a document on system security
that suggested deleting a file in /etc since it contained information about
what build I was running.  That was considered a security risk.  Unfortunately,
I forgot the name of the file.  I am now attempting to run up2date which ran
fine in the past.  It now complains that it couldn't determine what version of
Redhat Linux I am running which it reports as a fatal RPM error.  I assume this
is because it cannot find the file that I deleted.  Could someone let me know
what the file was and what the contents are so that I can recreate it so I can
use up2date?

Thanks,
David Suna

up2date problem - Redhat Linux 7.0 identification file

Post by Don Birdsal » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:24:36

Did you know that you could scroll back through the last hundred or so
commands that you issued?

Doing this might reveal the name of the file that you deleted. That would
be a good start for your recovery.

Sounds like this article gave a very bad tip. Think about it. If the file
contained useful information to an intruder, he would already entered your
system to read it!

Don

Post by Davi » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:54:49

> I am running Redhat Linux 7.0.  I was reading a document on system security
> that suggested deleting a file in /etc since it contained information about
> what build I was running.  That was considered a security risk.  Unfortunately,
> I forgot the name of the file.  I am now attempting to run up2date which ran
> fine in the past.  It now complains that it couldn't determine what version of
> Redhat Linux I am running which it reports as a fatal RPM error.  I assume this
> is because it cannot find the file that I deleted.  Could someone let me know
> what the file was and what the contents are so that I can recreate it so I can
> use up2date?

> Thanks,
> David Suna

I found the solution to my problem.  I reinstalled the
redhat-release-7.0-1.noarch.rpm package which put back /etc/redhat-release file
so that up2date is now able to run.

David Suna