redhat 9.0 networking

Post by Alexandra Pant » Mon, 12 May 2003 21:52:52

hi, kinda new to this so bear with me... :) just installed redhat 9.0
but can't get the networking to work.  I have an Epox amd motherboard
with an onboard LAN socket.  In the list of compatible hardware - its
not there.. is there anyway round this (of course i can't can't
connect to the internet!) other than purchasing a compatible lan card?

any advise/pointers greatly appreciated

kind regards

alexandra panton

redhat 9.0 networking

Post by Jon Mayna » Thu, 15 May 2003 09:27:49

Hi Alex,

Need a little more information than this to help out. What kind of
network are you plugging your network card into? Is it a network at
work, or a router\switch for home use? If it is a network at work ask
one of your techie guys if they are using DHCP or static IP's. If it
is a home device like a Linksys router, do you have another device
(computer) to check the settings to see if it is setup DHCP or not.
Most routers come setup with DHCP active by default and unless RedHat
9.0 has changed from 8.0 it should default that way as well. When
RedHat boots do you see the line that says eth0 UP or OK. If you do
then RedHat might recognize the NIC as generic. I'm doing this in RH
8.0 so might be different. Click on the RedHat icon in lower left
corner of your desktop and select System Tools and then Network. Put
in root password if not logged in as root. Click on the hardware tab,
if it recoginizes it there then you will not need drivers. If not then
you might want to try Epox's site for NIC drivers for Linux. Select
the Device tab and set the card to use DHCP, unless you have IP
information. Once that is done you should be able to get to the
internet, unless you have some weird firewall rule that blocks you
from getting out.

Good Luck

> hi, kinda new to this so bear with me... :) just installed redhat 9.0
> but can't get the networking to work.  I have an Epox amd motherboard
> with an onboard LAN socket.  In the list of compatible hardware - its
> not there.. is there anyway round this (of course i can't can't
> connect to the internet!) other than purchasing a compatible lan card?

> any advise/pointers greatly appreciated

> kind regards

> alexandra panton

1. Wireless under Redhat 9.0 and Slackware 9.0

As are most others in the Linux community, I'm tired of jacking around
with hardware vendors who refuse to support their products with Linux
drivers.  I have an Intel Pro 2100 in my Toshiba laptop and D-Link Air
Extreme in my desktop both of which have no drivers (not that I can find
at least) for operation under Linux.  Does anybody have a suggestion for
replacement of these dogs.  I know there are some out there but I would
be grateful for any personal satisfaction testaments for any wireless NICs.
Thanks.

Weltini

2. How do I set up AppleTalk routing

3. Porting network drivers from RedHat 9.0 to SuSE 8.0

4. Q: RealVideo client for Linux?

5. Dell Dimension 2400 Network Driver for Redhat 9.0

6. Automatic webserver down response

7. redhat 9.0 and networkeverywhere nc100u-wm PCI network card

8. remove buffer_head.b_inode

9. Upgrading from Redhat 6.1 to RedHat 9.0?

10. Solved: Compiling fresh Sendmail on RedHat 9.0

11. dsl sharing with redhat 9.0

12. Crashes in malloc() and free() on RedHat 9.0

13. AOPEN CRW-4048 on REDHAT 9.0 - did anybody make it burn ??