RHT 6.2 Installation go hung at 'Installing Packages'

RHT 6.2 Installation go hung at 'Installing Packages'

Post by kwat » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:46:13

Hi,
sorry for my poor english.

I need to install Redhat 6.2 (sorry for not 7.2) into my PC,
which has 100GB Harddisk(Western Digital ATA 100, CHS=12161/255/63).
And I got hung up installing at 'Installing Packages'.
No packages are installed.

I sliced harddisk like the following:
  primary 1 (10GB)    Win FAT32
  primary 2 ( 2GB)    Linux ext2
  primary 3 ( 1GB)    Linux swap
  extend  5 (87GB)    Linux ext2

# I heard that I should install linux within 1024 cylinder.
# But I'll boot from floppy, so I sure it is not problem.

I thought that the cause of hung-up was about recognizin harddisk,
which means about LBA32 or CHS.
I booted from CD-ROM with 'linux lba' or 'linux hda=12161,255,63',
but both were not be succeeded.

I have no more idea.
Could you give me any advices?

Regards,
kwatch

1. Install 'hangs' during installation of 'Local Packages'

I have a 200 Mhz Pentium Pro 128 MB IBM Personal Computer 365
and am installing FreeBSD 4.4 from the FreeBSD 'Power Pak' onto
a 2 GB hard disk.

The drive is set up as follows:
256 MB swap
100 MB /home
1.6 GB /

The base system and the installation of X Windows proceeds fine.
However, after selecting the local packages to install, the
installation really seems to slow down.  Eventually, pkg_add
exits with a -1 return code.

By 'slowing down,' it seems that at times during the installation
of the local packages, it will 'hang' on a 'blue screen'.  (The
'waiting for pkg_add' message gets erased which leaves a blue
screen with the cursor in the lower right corner.)  Usually, the
install will continue after about 2-5 minutes and then slow to
a halt again.  This will repeat until the install ends with an
error.

Thinking that it could be the CD-ROM drive, I installed a new
drive.

Lastly, during numerous attempts, it doesn't seem to be the same
packages that returns the error.

Any ideas?

2. Load balancing module

3. red hat 6.2 installation hangs during package installation step

4. rdist

5. Suse 6.2 Hard Disk Installation Error, 'Can't Find Image !'?

6. Call for Papers: 1999 Atlanta Linux Showcase

7. can't install rpm packages - red hat 6.2

8. Anyone using Apache-2 Beta on IPv6 ? Can't get Listen syntax right I think

9. Red Hat 6.2, Highpoint HPT366: installs fine, won't boot stopping at 'LI'

10. 'no free primary' during 6.2 install

11. Installing SuSE 6.2: 'bad magic no': SCSI/CDROM problem?

12. First boot after install hangs after ''Starting PCMCIA services''.

13. Q: Installing Redhat6.2 will stop at 'Installing Packages'