7.1 or 7.2

Post by James Richard Tyre » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 17:01:30

> Hello,

> I was wondering what the diff was between 7.1 and 7.2,

> I would like to use 7.2 but I think drivers may be easier to find for 7.1

Well, you think wrong.

And you don't go on a scavenger hunt for "drivers" like you do with
Windows.

The drivers come with the Kernel in most cases.  The video drivers come
with XFree86 and the Printer 'drivers' come with GhostScript.  In most
cases, newer versions have better support for newer hardware.

7.2 is just an update of 7.1.  So, why would you want to use the old
version???

JRT

7.1 or 7.2

Post by Brian Schwar » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 02:04:36

Quote:> And you don't go on a scavenger hunt for "drivers" like you do with
> Windows.

Your kidding, right?  I've certainly had to go on "scavenger hunts" for
drivers from time to time (although I agree that driver support is no reason
to choose RH 7.1 over RH 7.2).  My Aureal Vortex 2 sound card
(aureal.sourceforge.net) and my Epson usb scanner come to mind.  [actually,
RH 7.1 detected the Aureal card on the initial install but I had to
recompile the drivers after I recompiled my kernel - I think my search for
the Aureal drivers can qualify as a "scavenger hunt"]

I prefer Linux generally, but I don't think you can say that Linux has a big
advantage over Windows in terms of driver support or ease of driver
installation.  Actually, from my own experience, RH 7.x and Windows 2k are
pretty equal in their ability to detect most hardware, and the hurdles you
face in getting hardware that hasn't been detected to work are pretty
comparable.

Best wishes,

Brian
--

____________________________
The opinions expressed here are my

7.1 or 7.2

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 13:22:33

> > And you don't go on a scavenger hunt for "drivers" like you do with
> > Windows.

> Your kidding, right?  I've certainly had to go on "scavenger hunts" for
> drivers from time to time (although I agree that driver support is no reason
> to choose RH 7.1 over RH 7.2).  My Aureal Vortex 2 sound card
> (aureal.sourceforge.net) and my Epson usb scanner come to mind.  [actually,
> RH 7.1 detected the Aureal card on the initial install but I had to
> recompile the drivers after I recompiled my kernel - I think my search for
> the Aureal drivers can qualify as a "scavenger hunt"]

The point is that Linux drivers are not the same as Windows "drivers".
Linux uses actual hardware drivers and separate software packages rather
then combining them and (inaccurately) calling it a "driver".

Scanners are certainly the biggest problem with hardware support.  But,
you shouldn't really need to go on a hunt.  The only place to look is
SANE:

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

The Kernel should have included the USB driver and SANE has one software
back end for all EPSON scanners.

JRT

7.1 or 7.2

Post by Bria » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 04:48:02

Quote:> Scanners are certainly the biggest problem with hardware support.  But,
> you shouldn't really need to go on a hunt.  The only place to look is
> SANE:

> http://www.mostang.com/sane/

As I recall, I had to patch some text file (by adding some USB identifying
numbers - I forget exactly which file) in order to get it to recognize my
specific scanner because it was slightly more recent than the most current
Epson backend.  It wasn't that difficult, but it certainly took more
research (thank you Google!) and effort than installing the same scanner
under Windows.  Don't get me wrong - I prefer Linux and use it as my desktop
OS at home.  At this stage, however, I don't think that driver support and
installation are big selling points for Linux over Windows.  Maybe in
another 18 months or so - Linux driver support has certainly come a long way
in the last 18.

Best Wishes,

Brian

--