qmail installation problem...

Post by Brian Jens » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 00:36:39

So I'm a newbie with qmail and redhat in general, and I just installed
qmail.  My problem is when I run the command "service qmail start" I
get this message:

Starting qmail-toaster: svscansupervise: fatal: unable to acquire
log/supervise/lock: temporary failure
.

log/supervise/lock: temporary failure
supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary
failure
supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary
failure
supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary
failure
supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary
failure

Does anyone know what the deal is here?

Thanks

Post by Steve Linber » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 13:30:45

> So I'm a newbie with qmail and redhat in general, and I just installed
> qmail.  My problem is when I run the command "service qmail start" I
> get this message:

> Starting qmail-toaster: svscansupervise: fatal: unable to acquire
> log/supervise/lock: temporary failure
> .

> log/supervise/lock: temporary failure
> supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary
> failure
> supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary
> failure
> supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary
> failure
> supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary
> failure

> Does anyone know what the deal is here?

What's in your /service directory?  I don't know how the rpms work, but
I built my qmail/daemontools/ucspi-tcp from source.  svscan and
supervise are two different processes, but your output above looks a
little funny.

supervise launches a process in a directory, with an optional log
subprocess.  svc controls those processes and can send them signals or
bring them up or down.

I'm guessing "service" is an init script?  That may be an rpm thing.
Trace these things backwards to see where they are.  svc takes the
directory of the command to run as an argument, as in:

svc -u /services/qmail-smtpd

If "supervise" isn't being started in the right place, it might croak
with errors like you're describing.

1. qmail installation problem

I am novice to qmail and also linux. I have loaded qmail as per the
directives in Life with qmail. After loading I was able to send a
local test mail. After that I wanted to reboot the machine which I am
unable to do When I am booting I am getting the following messges
constantly-
supervise:fatal:unable to start log/run : exec format error
supervise:fatal:unable to start log/run : exec format error
supervise:fatal:unable to start qmail-smtpd/run : exec format error
These 3 lines are occuring in a loop
Please help
Regards
Chaitali

2. Linux 2.4 Driver for Maxtor External USB 2.0 Drive?

3. qmail installation problem, msgs stuck in queue, help!

4. Ghostscript & Ghostview

5. qmail installation problem

6. Viruswall software for email scrubbing.

7. Qmail Server Installation Problems

8. Any games available...

9. qmail and qmail+MRTG How-Tos

10. qmail help: how do i use qmail-pw2u????

11. qmail installation

12. QMail installation

13. Installation of Qmail-scanner 0.96